- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics - Includes tables for critical constants, heats of evaporation, aqueous solubility of organic compounds, vapor pressure of mercury, scientific abbreviations and symbols, bond dissociation energies and many more.
- ENGnetBASE - Includes full-text of 500 handbooks and reference titles published by CRC Press. Includes databases for civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and telecommunications.
- Safari Books Online- This database is a collection of electronic books for programmers and IT professionals. Topic categories include computer science, graphics, multimedia, networking, and operating systems. Publishers include Cisco, Course Technology, Microsoft, Sams, and Que. User Guide (pdf).
Many teachers have put their textbooks on reserve at the circulation desk on the top floor. Here are the listings for engineering classes.
Find these under the articles / databases link from the sidebar on the right.
- Factiva - Focus on business and news. Includes newspapers such as The Wall Street Journal, Richmond Times-Dispatch and The Roanoke Times. Other sources include newswires, magazines, trade journals, web sites, company reports, and media transcripts.
- EBSCO - This is the place to start for general research. This group of databases includes: Academic Search Complete, Business Source Complete, Computers & Applied Sciences Complete, CINAHL, PsycARTCLES, ERIC, and more. Articles may be full-text, abstracts, or citations.
- Project Muse - Current full-text journal articles in a wide variety of academic subjects.
- Wiley Online Library- Full-text journal articles in a wide variety of academic subjects. It is possible to narrow your search to a particular subject group such as construction, engineering, computing & technology.
Science & Engineering Databases
Find these databases under the VIVA link on the databases page.
- Cambridge Scientific Abstracts - This is a set of databases in the sciences including Computers & Information Systems, Biotechnology & Bioengineering, Electronics & Communications, Environmental Engineering, Mechanical Engineering & Transportation Engineering. These databases include abstracts only; meaning there are no full-text articles. However, we can order articles for you through interlibrary loan.
- Gale: Science In Context - Includes over 150 reference books in the sciences. Also includes periodical articles, audio, video, and experiments.
- IEEE Xplore - Indexes IEEE and IET journals, transactions, letters, magazines, conference proceedings, and standards. Also indexes books published by IEEE Press and IEEE Computer Society Press. Limit to subscribed content to see full-text only.
- Science - Includes full-text of Science back to 1997. While the database includes indexing back to 1880, we do not have a subscription to the full-text for those years. However, we do have hard copy issues back to 1938 and can order older issues through interlibrary loan.
- Today's Science - Includes full-text articles on science. Features include issues & controversies in science, a science fair guide, year in science, cartoons, crosswords, and an encyclopedia.
Here is a short list of periodicals in engineering and science. For more complete listings by subject or by title, click here.
Periodicals in Brown Library
Civil Engineering 3 years
Discover 3 years
Popular Mechanics 3 years
Popular Science 3 years
Process & Control Engineering (PACE) 2004-2006
Science News 3 years
Scientific American 3 years
Smithsonian 3 years
Virginia Journal of Science 1967-1972, 1974, 1976-1978, 1982-2007
Periodicals in Full-Text
Here is a list of our full-text periodicals available through VIVA. You can search for a specific periodical by title or click on the category tab to search for all the periodicals on a subject such as Engineering. After clicking on Engineering, choose a subcategory such as Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.
Occupational Outlook Handbook
Look up your career in the Occupational Outlook Handbook online. Find out the nature of the work, training, employment, job outlook, projections data, and earnings. Here is a selected list of occupations available.