Virginia Western Online Course Testing
No matter the testing location or modality, students must present their Virginia Western Student ID or another government issued photo ID to verify their identity in order to complete the proctored activity.
Due to COVID-19 pandemic related restrictions, the Testing Center on our main Campus is working under very limited capacity. The Testing Center at the Franklin Center is not available for testing until further notice. If you need to take a test on-campus, please work with your instructor to make those arrangements.
Official Testing Centers
Virginia Western has two official testing centers where students can complete a proctored activity to fulfill an online course requirement at no charge:
- The main Testing Center is located in room B11 on the ground floor of Brown Library on the main campus. Students can come to the Brown Library Testing Center to take a test anytime the Center is open, no appointment is necessary. See the hours and contact information to the right.
- The Franklin Center in Rocky Mount, VA also serves as an official testing center for Virginia Western. Tests are administered by appointment only. Requests must be made at least 3 business days before appointment time. Visit the Franklin Center testing page for available hours and contact information. There you will also find a link to the Franklin Center Testing Request Form that you will need to fill out.
Students should not bring children with them when coming to take a test. Students should also know their Username and Password for their MyVWCC account. Click here for more about student testing responsibilities.
Alternative Proctored Testing Locations
Students who reside outside the Virginia Western service area (Roanoke City, Roanoke County, Salem, Craig County, southern Botetourt County, and Franklin County) or that face mitigating circumstances that pose a significant barrier to using one of the official Virginia Western Testing Centers listed above, may select an alternative proctored testing location.
Students choosing an alternative location, including an online proctoring service, must obtain prior approval from their instructor by submitting an Alternative Proctor Request Form (PDF). A separate form must be completed for each online learning course.
Students are responsible for any and all fees associated with using an alternative proctoring location or online proctoring service.
For more information see Off-Campus Proctored Testing Policy I-61.
Potential Proctoring Locations:
- Another Virginia Community College that has a campus testing center
- An educational institution, high school, college or university
- A private or commercial testing center
- Government institution (public library, government office, etc.)
- Students in the military should contact the education officers at their duty station
Students may also select an online proctoring service with which the college has an established relationship. Students should check the appropriate box on the Alternative Proctor Request Form (PDF) and send a copy of the completed form to . Students selecting this option are responsible for all fees charged by the online proctoring service. Please plan in advance as this process can often take several days to complete.
Note: Students with documented disabilities, who need to utilize alternative proctor locations, should contact the Office of Disability Services to discuss accommodations, proctoring options and payment waiver.
To contact the Testing Center by email: .
To order labels, email with the following message: Distance Learning Class Labels. Please include the five digit class number (ex: 17406) along with the class id (ex: ACC-211-V1).
Testing by Appointment Only
Mon: 9AM - 8PM
Tue: 9AM - 3PM
Wed: 9AM - 3PM
Thu: 9AM - 8PM
Fri: 9AM - 1PM
Sat: 9AM - 1PM
Tests will not be given out within 1 hour of closing.
Location: Ground Floor, Brown Library
3095 Colonial Ave. SW
Roanoke, VA 24015