New Employee Technology Orientation

Welcome to Virginia Western!  Information and Educational Technologies (IET) has developed online training for new employees. The training is categorized in topics of interest. Please click the links below to explore the services VWCC offers.

Additional Tools (HRMS, AIS, eVA)

Following are some additional tools available through MyVWCC. Availability of some of these tools is dependent on your job function.

Human Resources Management System (HRMS)

HRMS is the system used to input your timesheet and absence information (if applicable). HRMS uses the same database and menu structure as SIS. You can access the HRMS functions through either system.

Administrative Information System (AIS)

You will only have access to AIS if your job requires it. AIS uses the same database and menu structure as SIS. The best way to learn how to use AIS is through on-the-job training with a co-worker.

Commonewealth of Virginia Electronic Procurement System (eVA)

eVA is used if there are procurement duties in your job. eVA is not part of MyVWCC, however, if you use AIS for procurement, you’ll also need access to eVA.


Canvas is a course management system that is maintained by the Virginia Community College System. It allows instructors to facilitate both online and in-person classes.

Canvas is web-based, so there is nothing for you to install or download. All you need is an Internet connection. Canvas is accessible from all browsers and mobile devices.

Tutorials for using Canvas can be found on the Canvas Infoguide.

How to Create a PDF File

There are basically three methods for creating PDF files. Every computer on campus should have access to the first two methods.

If you need any help creating your PDF file, you can contact the Help Desk.

Microsoft Office

All Office programs have the built-in capacity to create PDF files. For example, in Word, create or open the document you wish to save as PDF. Once the document is finalized and ready to be converted:

  1. In the top menu, click File and then Save As.
  2. Choose the location where you wish to save your file.
  3. At the bottom of the Save As window, use the Save as type drop down to select PDF. This will change the suffix of the filename from .docx to .pdf.
  4. Name your file, and save it as with any other file.

Remember to also save your original Word document. If you need to make a change, it will be in the Word document, not the PDF. This same procedure will work with Excel, PowerPoint, and other Microsoft Office programs.


If you are not using a Microsoft Office program, you can use CutePDF to create a PDF file. CutePDF is a printer driver that will work with any program, such as your web browser.

  1. Once you are ready to create your PDF file, choose File and then Print.
  2. On the Print screen, change the printer to CutePDF Writer by selecting it from the printer list.
  3. Click Print.
  4. Rather than printing, a Save As dialog window will open. Chose the name of your file and a location and then save it as with any other document.

If you want an actual printed copy of the same document, you will need to change your printer back to your default or close the program and reopen it.

Adobe Acrobat DC

You can use Adobe Acrobat DC (not Adobe Reader) to create PDFs directly. Also, if you have Adobe Acrobat DC installed on your computer, your Microsoft Office programs may include a “Save as Adobe PDF” option in the File menu.

Add a Note to a Student’s Folder

Notes in SAILS do not prompt any sort of college response and are not emailed to the student. Shared Notes should be used for informational items related to a student’s academic success that do not currently require intervention, but may be useful to an advisor.

To add a note to a student’s folder in SAILS, you must be logged into MyVWCC and have clicked the SAILS icon to enter SAILS.

  1. In the upper left-hand corner, click the Students tab.
  2. Here you can search for a student by Name or Connection. Searching by Connection allows you to view a group of students based on your relationship with them in SAILS (ex: a list of students in your course or a list of assigned advisees).

    Student Search

  3. Select the student(s) for which you would like to record a Note, and then click the Note button above the search box.

    Add Note button

  4. Use the drop-down menu to select a Note Type (General or Academic Advising) and add your Note in the text box. You can email a copy of the note to yourself and/or the student by selecting the appropriate boxes.

    Add Note Screen

  5. To save the note, click Submit. The note will be saved in the student’s folder. Note: Only shared notes can be viewed by faculty and staff that have a relationship with the student. Private notes cannot be viewed.


MyVWCC Advanced Password Reset Tool

If you do not know your MyVWCC username, you will need to use the Advanced Password Reset Tool to look it up.

  1. Go to MyVWCC (
  2. Below the Sign In button, click the Forgot Username link.
  3. In the Password Reset box, click the checkbox next to “I’m not a robot”. Some users will be prompted with an image selector. You should select the images requested and then click Verify. When the process is completed successfully, click the Continue button.
    Example Captcha Image

  4. Enter your name, date of birth, and either your Emplid (Student ID Number) or SSN (Social Security Number) and click Next.
    password reset box
  5. If the information you enter conflicts with existing information in the Student Information System, you will receive a message instructing you to contact the Help Desk for assistance.
  6. If the information you enter matches the information in the Student Information System, you will receive a message with your username and the option to either log in or reset your password. If you need to reset your password, click the radio button next to “I do not know my password. I would like to reset it now.” and click Next.
    password reset with username
  7. You will see the following screen if an alternate email (an email address that isn’t and/or a phone number are listed for you in SIS.
    password reset results
  8. Choose the option by which you wish to receive your temporary password. If you are choosing the SMS (text message) option, please use the dropdown to select your phone provider. Click the Send option for the method you choose.
    • Note: If the email address(es) or phone number(s) presented are not valid options, you should contact the Help Desk for assistance.
    • Note: If no alternative email address or phone number exist in SIS, you will need to Verify Your Identity.
  9. You will be sent a temporary password via your chosen method. This password is valid for 30 minutes, so you should log in right away in order to change it.

Reports for Student Advisement

By using the ADV report, students and advisors can assess academic progress towards graduation. Students and advisors can also run what-if reports to simulate a different academic plan and the student’s progress towards that plan.

To create either of these reports, you must be logged into MyVWCC and inside the Student Information System. Click the Advisor Center link.

Creating an ADV Report

  1. On the my advisees screen, click the View Student Details link located to the right of the student’s ID number.
    1. An ADV can be run for a student who is not your advisee by clicking the view data for other students button. You will need the student’s ID number.
  2. On the Student Details screen, click the other academic… dropdown and select Academic Requirements. Click the Go button button.
  3. The advisee’s requirements (ADV Report) will be displayed. To print the ADV report, click View Report as PDF.

Creating a What-If Report

  1. On the my advisees screen, click the View Student Details link located to the right of the student’s ID number.
    1. A What-If Report can be run for a student who is not your advisee by clicking the view data for other students button. You will need the student’s ID number.
  2. On the Student Details screen, click the other academic… dropdown and select What-if Report. Click the Go button button.
  3. On the What-If Report screen, click the Create New Report button.
    what-if report selection
  4. Under Career Scenario, select the Institution, Career, and Catalog Year.
    career scenario
  5. Under Program Scenario, select the Academic Program of Curricular. Use the Area of Study drop-down menu to select the plan for the What-if Report. Note: Only plan descriptions are displayed for selection on the Area of Study drop-down. This may be confusing if you have an associate degree plan that is named the same as a certificate or career studies plan (ex: Culinary Arts).
    program scenario
  6. Click the Submit Request button at the bottom of the screen. The What-if Report will be displayed. To print the report, click View Report as PDF.

Setting Which Phone Number to use for Advising

Students that are assigned to a faculty advisor in SIS are able to see their advisor’s name, preferred phone number, and email via the Student Center. Because of this, it is important to be sure that your Preferred Phone Type in SIS is the Business Phone Type.

To change your preferred phone type, you must be logged into MyVWCC and inside the Student Information System.

  1. In the Student Center, click the Main Phone link under Personal Information.
  2. On the Phone Numbers page, make sure the Preferred checkbox for the Business phone type is checked, then click Save.
    phone number screen

Contacting Your Advisees

Advisors can use the Advisor Center to contact their advisees via email. To view the Advisor Center, you must be logged into MyVWCC and inside the Student Information System. Click the Advisor Center link.

  1. Click my advisees. This screen will display the advisees assigned to you.
  2. To notify individual advisees, click the Notify checkbox to the left of the advisee’s name and then click the notify selected advisees button (notify selected advisees button). If you wish to notify all of your advisees, click the notify all advisees button (notify all advisees button).
  3. The Send Notification page will be displayed. Use this page to enter the information you wish to send.
    Notification screen
  4. When you are finished, click the Send Notification button (send notification button).

Advisor Assignments

How do Advisees Get Assigned?

New students are assigned an advisor when they apply to the college for a program of study. Currently enrolled students with undeclared majors are assigned a faculty advisor once they declare a program of study. Advisor assignments are made by a nightly program that assigns advisors to students based on their major and who are currently enrolled and who do not have an existing advisor.

I Have Too Many Advisees!

When looking at your list of advisees, it may appear that you have a large number of them, but keep in mind that not all of those are enrolled. Although the advisee is assigned to you that doesn’t mean that the advisee is enrolled. The advisee stays on the advisor’s list of advisees until they are no longer active or they change their plan of study or graduate.

I Don’t Have Any Advisees!

For the health tech plans (like 156), the advisor is assigned when the student changes from the 156-01 (pre-admission) to the actual plan 156 and enrolls in classes. Returning nursing students will already have an advisor and new nursing students are assigned the advisor when their plan changes. Depending on when you were hired in this cycle, you may not have any advisees until the new nursing students are admitted for the next fall semester or if one of the current health tech advisors leaves Virginia Western employment.

Not having any advisees does not prevent you from meeting with and advising students.

Student’s assigned advisors can be found on the Student’s Student Center page within the Student Information System (SIS).