IRB - Approval Process
- If the proposal is determined a human subject research project, the primary investigator (PI) completes the IRB review application.
- The PI gathers all required documentation as per the application checklist.
- The PI electronically submits the application packet to the IRB email address ().
- IRB reviews will be scheduled and conducted.
- Depending on the application, the IRB process may take up to six weeks.
- THE VIRGINIA WESTERN IRB MUST APPROVE THE RESEARCH PROJECT BEFORE THE RESEARCHER MAKES ANY CONTACT WITH THE SUBJECTS.
- Approval is for a maximum of one year from the date of the IRB meeting considering the application.
- If any work or data analysis is to continue after the approval expiration date, the PI must submit an extension request two months prior to the expiration date.
- Upon completion of the project, the PI should submit to the IRB the Close Out Report form.
IRB Submission Checklist:
- Completed application for review
- PI certifications of human subject protection training
- Samples of informed consent/assent forms
- Outline of information to be provided prior to subjects’ agreement to participate
- Instruments, surveys, questionnaires, etc.
Location: Fishburn Hall F110
3093 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015