Grants Development & Special Projects
Grants Development Policy
These guidelines outline the procedures and authorizations necessary for developing and submitting grant proposals. Even if the college is a partner or involved in a consortium planning to develop and submit a proposal for funding, these steps are required.
The President and Vice Presidents are the only individuals authorized to submit grant proposals for the college.
All external proposals must be reviewed and signed by the Grants Development and Special Projects Office. These include proposals submitted to the following entities:
- Local Government
Process for Routing and Handling Internal Proposals
Virginia Western Educational Foundation grant proposals will continue to be sent directly to the Educational Foundation Office. For additional information related to Educational Foundation grants, contact the Vice President of Institutional Advancement.
Virginia Community College System (VCCS) proposals such as the Professional Research Development Grants and Perkins Mini-Grants are to be submitted to the appropriate Academic Dean and Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs.
Copies of VCCS proposals are to be sent to the Grants Development Office for filing and tracking.
Use of the Grant Application Approval Form (PDF) is required if approval is needed by the Finance Office, Human Resources, Information & Educational Technologies, or Facilities Management Services.
Internal and External Proposals
(See the Grant Proposal Application Process)
If you want to develop a Grant Proposal, you should:
- Get Ideas
Notify the Grants Development and Special Projects Office of specific areas of interest. Review grant announcements and grant-related web sites found on the Grants Development and Special Projects VWConnect page.
- Determine if your idea fits the college's mission, strategic plan and goals
Review the cost-effectiveness and compatibility of the proposal with the college's mission, strategic plan and goals. Funded projects must be consistent with SACSCOC criteria and adhere to relevant Commonwealth policies and procedures, which include but are not limited to the Virginia Community College System, Virginia Western Community College and the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia.
- Use correct application forms and get needed signatures
Faculty or staff member developing proposal is responsible for obtaining signatures for approval from Program Heads, Academic Deans, and Vice Presidents (VP) in a timely manner. Grant Application Approval forms can be found on our Grant Process page or from the Grants office.
- If grant requires hiring of personnel, you must:
Have prior approval from the Associate Vice President of Human Resources (HR), who must review salaries and benefits for personnel.
- If grant involves Computer Equipment/Software, you must:
Have prior approval of the Director of Information & Educational Technology Services.
- If grant requires modification of College Buildings or Property, you must:
Have prior approval from the Director of Planning and Development.
- If grant requires Matching Funds or In-Kind Contributions, you must:
Have request for matching funds or in-kind contributions approved by the Vice President of Finance or the President.
- If grant requires Reassigned Time for faculty or staff, you must:
Have it approved by the respective Vice President, the Vice President of Finance, and the Associate Vice President of Human Resources.
Responsibilities of Project Manager/Departments Associated With Grants
- Prepares the proposal with attention to needed signatures and deadlines.
- Follows through on the project which includes delivering award letter to Grants office, initiating and carrying out project and accomplishing outcomes as described in the proposal.
- Keeps accurate and detailed reports of matching and in-kind contributions.
- Ensures that grant funds are expended appropriately according to federal and state regulations and the conditions of the grant.
- Compiles and submits requested reports to the funding agency and/or college on time.
- Works with the Grants Development and Special Projects Office to ensure compliance and successful project execution.
- Has VCCS assign a new grant account number and forwards this number to the project manager and Office of Grants Development and Special Projects.
- Approves all purchase requisitions.
- Assures that funds are expended according to federal and state regulations and the condition of the grant.
Grants Development Office
Location: Fishburn Hall F204
3093 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015