Earn College Credit with CLEP
Save time and money by using the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) to receive college credit for what you already know! CLEP is a national program of credit-by-examination that offers students the opportunity to obtain college credit for prior academic achievement. Virginia Western accepts most of the CLEP offered exams and uses the American Council on Education recommended minimum score of 50 for most tests when awarding CLEP credit. For higher level courses, the minimum score may be higher and will be noted. An official CLEP transcript is required for the award of credit.
CLEP Testing is now available to students in the Testing Center at VWCC!
Key Facts About CLEP Exams
- VWCC accepts most CLEP offered exams (full list is below)
- Exams are multiple choice
- Exams take 90-120 minutes to complete
- Minimum score of 50 for most tests
- Higher level courses may require a higher minimum score
- Students receive their CLEP Exam score immediately upon completion
- An official CLEP transcript must be submitted for award credit
Learn more about CLEP and order an official transcript
CLEP Transcript Request Services
P.O. Box 6600
Princeton, NJ 08541-6600
Take a CLEP test at Virginia Western
1. Register with the College Board
- Go to https://clepportal.collegeboard.org to register and pay for the exam ($89 per exam).
- Review exam topics to make sure you are registering for the appropriate exam.
- Print your ticket or save a copy to your phone. You must bring this with you the day of the exam.
2. Schedule an Exam Appointment with VWCC
- Register for an appointment with the Testing Center by calling 540-857-7250. They will let you know the days and times testing is available.
3. Pay Registration Fee
- Prior to your exam, pay your $30 registration fee (cash or check only at this time) at the Cashier’s Office (Fishburn Hall F212C). The Cashier’s Office is open Monday – Friday from 8 AM – 5 PM.
- Keep your receipt from the Cashier’s Office and bring it with you on the day of the test. You will have 2 receipts: one from the College Board and one from VWCC. If you do not bring both receipts, you will not be allowed to test.
Questions? Contact the Testing Center at 540-857-7250 or email@example.com.
CLEP Exams at VWCC
Virginia Western Community College currently recognizes the following CLEP exams and equivalent course credit:
Composition and Literature
|American Literature||ENG 246||3|
|College Composition **||ENG 111-112||6|
|English Literature||ENG 245||3|
**College Composition is the appropriate CLEP exam for AA, AS, and AAS degrees. Virginia Western does not accept the College Composition – Modular or the older English Composition CLEP exam.
Science and Mathematics
|Pre-Calculus with Trigonometry||MTH 167||5|
|French, Level 1||FRE 101-102||8|
|French, Level 2 – Minimum score of 60 required||FRE 101-102|
|German, Level 1||GER 101-102||8|
|German, Level 2 – Minimum score of 60 required||GER 101-102|
|Spanish, Level 1||SPA 101-102||8|
|Spanish, Level 2 – Minimum score of 60 required||SPA 101-102|
History and Social Science
|American Government||PLS 211||3|
|History of the US I, Colonization to 1877||HIS 121||3|
|History of the US II, 1865 to the Present||HIS 122||3|
|Human Growth and Development||PSY 230||3|
|Macroeconomics, Principles of||ECO 201||3|
|Microeconomics, Principles of||ECO 202||3|
|Psychology, Intro to||PSY 200||3|
|Sociology, Intro to||SOC 200||3|
|Western Civilization I, up to 1648||HIS 101||3|
|Western Civilization II, 1648 to Present||HIS 102||3|
|Business Law, Introduction to||BUS 241||3|
|Information Systems||ITE 115||3|
|Financial Accounting||ACC 211-212||8|
|Management, Principles of||BUS 200||3|
|Marketing, Principles of||MKT 100||3|
- Credit for Prior Learning Home
- Prior Learning/Graduation Requirements
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Credit for Credentials
- Military Training
- Credit by Evaluated Program (ACE/NCCRS)
- Experiential Learning/Work Experience
- Previous College Transfer Credit
- Advanced Placement (AP)
- Credit by Exam (Challenge & IB Exams)
Credit for Prior Learning Specialist
Chapman Hall C107
3094 Colonial Ave. SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
We use the VW Mass Notification System to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency. Get more info and register!