Summer Financial Aid Information
May 16, 2016 – Classes Begin
Summer Financial Aid for students seeking Pell Grant or state aid assistance due to limited or no Pell Grant eligibility will be awarded based on enrollment in college courses for the summer. You must have a current aid year FAFSA on file with Virginia Western Community College in order to be considered for any summer financial aid. Summer awards of State Aid depend upon state funding availability, which is limited.
Students will be awarded, if eligible, prior to the summer tuition deadline date.
A student who wishes to request a Direct Student Loan or a parent who wishes to request a Direct PLUS loan for the summer semester must complete and submit either the Direct Student Loan Request Form (PDF) or the Direct PLUS Loan Information and Request Form (PDF).
State Grant Funds Eligibility
Students that fall into the categories below may be eligible for state grant funds in the summer. These are general categories and do not guarantee state aid eligibility. Students outside of these categories may or may not demonstrate eligibility.
- A student who used his/her full Pell Grant award in the current academic year fall and spring semesters.
- A student who was not eligible for a Pell Grant during the current academic year fall and spring semesters, but received state aid in either semester.
- A student that was Pell Grant eligible in the current academic year fall and spring semesters, but was not full time both semesters.
- A new student that is beginning in the summer that has no or low Pell grant eligibility.
- State aid is awarded to students with ‘In State’ residency status.
- Virginia Commonwealth Grant (COMA) funds require that students are enrolled in and attend a minimum of 6 credits.
- Amounts awarded are designated to assist with covering tuition and fees for six credits of enrollment.
- Books, supplies, and additional courses will need to be paid by the student out-of-pocket or using other sources.
- If you have been awarded COMA funds and you do not enroll in and attend 6 or more credits towards your program at VWCC, your award will be cancelled, and you may have to pay out of pocket for any remaining credits.
- There are limited state funds available to students that will be attending less than 6 credits, and those will be awarded to students based on registered credits.
Important Dates for Summer 2016
First day to enroll in summer 2016 classes
Completed loan request form for 2016 summer due to the Financial Aid Office for Priority Loan Processing. (Note: Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note must also be completed for new VWCC borrowers)
Summer 2015 tuition payment deadline for early registration. After May 5th, 2016 payment will be due at the time of registration.
First day of the 10 week session and first five-week class session.
Your awards will be cancelled if you have not registered for any class(es), including the second 5 week summer session.
After your financial aid eligibility has been determined, you can view your award by logging in to your My VWCC account. If your financial aid award is not sufficient to cover your tuition and fees, you will need to make a payment online via your MY VWCC account or in person to the Cashier's window located in Chapman Hall.
If you are going to attend 6 or more credits in the summer, you may wish to submit a Direct Loan Request Form if the grant funds that you have been awarded are not sufficient. Your Federal Direct Stafford loan request must be submitted by May 3rd, in order to have the anticipated loan apply toward your tuition charge. You must also have completed your Master Promissory Note, and Entrance Counseling prior to submitting the loan request form.
- Students who have borrowed the maximum annual loan limits during fall and spring semesters will have no remaining loan eligibility for summer semester.
- Remember all awards are contingent upon your continued compliance with the institution's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards. If you are awarded financial aid in the summer, but fail to meet the college’s SAP standards after the current spring semester, your financial aid award for summer will be cancelled.
- Please continue to monitor your Virginia Western email account for communications from the Financial Aid Office.