Consistent with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), students and employees are encouraged to complete the following COVID-19 health self-check PRIOR to coming to any Virginia Western location each day. This tool is not meant to take the place of talking to your healthcare provider to diagnose or treat conditions. Employees, if you have any questions or concerns about self-screening, please contact Human Resources. Students should direct questions or concerns to the COVID-19 liaison, CampusPolice@VirginiaWestern.edu.
Health Assessment Questions
Please review and answer each question YES or NO.
- Since your last day of work, or since your last visit to Virginia Western or any Virginia Western location, have you had any of the following symptoms?
- A new fever of 100.4°F or higher, or having a sense of a fever
- A new cough that cannot be attributed to another health condition
- New shortness of breath or difficulty breathing that cannot be attributed to another health condition
- New chills that cannot be attributed to another health condition
- A new sore throat that cannot be attributed to another health condition
- New muscle aches (myalgia) that cannot be attributed to another health condition, or that may have been caused by a specific activity (such as physical exercise)
- A new loss of taste or smell
- Have you had a positive test for the virus that causes COVID-19 disease within the past 10 days?
- *In the past 14 days, have you had close contact (within about 6 feet for 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period or having direct exposure to respiratory secretions) with someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19?
- *Healthcare Personnel (HCP) – Healthcare exposure is defined as follows: having unprotected, direct contact (non-adherence to currently recommended CDC infection control practices, including all recommended PPE) with a known COVID-19 positive patient or the infectious secretions or excretions of the patient. Note: students and trainees in health professions programs are considered HCP.
- In the past 14 days, have you traveled internationally?
If you answer YES to any question
After completing your health self-check, please share any “YES” results with your instructor or supervisor through your preferred method of communication (email, text or phone call) and await instructions BEFORE you come to any Virginia Western location.
To respect your privacy, answers to specific questions will not be collected.
Instructors and Supervisors
Instructors and supervisors should direct any individual who answers “YES” to one or more of the health self-check questions to stay home and not come to any Virginia Western location.
Individuals should not physically return to a Virginia Western location until they:
- are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of a fever-reducing medication, and *other symptoms have improved, and at least 10 days have passed since your symptoms first appeared or
- have been officially cleared for their return by their healthcare provider.
*Note that loss of taste or smell might persist for weeks or months and this should not delay the end of isolation.
*Who is NOT required to quarantine after exposure: Individuals who:
- Have had COVID-19 within the past 3 months as long as they don’t develop new symptoms
- Have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as long as they have no symptoms and are not inpatients or residents in healthcare settings.
- Fully vaccinated means 2 weeks or more have passed since receipt of the second dose of a 2-dose series, or 2 weeks or more have passed since receipt of one dose of a single-dose vaccine.
- Individuals who are not required to quarantine after exposure must still watch for symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days. People who are not fully vaccinated should follow all other recommendations until fully vaccinated (mask, distance, avoid crowds and poorly ventilated areas, wash hands often) (VDH 7/15/21)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention “Considerations for Institutions of Higher Education”, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/colleges-universities/considerations.html
VDH Interim Guidance for Daily COVID-19 Screening of Employees (Non-Healthcare Workers), August 11, 2020
Personal Accountability Protocol
All employees and students are expected to follow Virginia Western health and safety guidelines.
Any person not following health and safety guidelines may be asked to leave the campus or campus-controlled location.
(Reviewed and approved by the Roanoke/Alleghany Health District August 2, 2021)