As we begin the Spring 2022 semester, please take note of the information below as we continue to respond to the evolving environment with respect to COVID-19.
CDC/VDH Quarantine Guidelines
Virginia Western has moved to align with the revised quarantine guidelines published by the CDC and Virginia Department of Health (VDH) around the new year. While each case will be navigated individually, the general guidelines are as follows:
- Quarantine for 5 days after symptoms start or a positive test result is received, or after an exposure (unless the below criteria is satisfied).
- Wear a well-fitting mask around others for an additional 5 days once quarantine has ended.
- An individual who has been exposed to the virus may not need to quarantine if they have received all recommended vaccine doses – including boosters – and remain asymptomatic.
If you believe that you have contracted or may have been exposed to COVID-19, please continue to fill out the reporting forms online: Have you been tested for COVID-19? – VWCC Response to COVID-19- Virginia Western Community College . Official guidance will be provided specific to your circumstances after completion of the form.
Please also continue to be vigilant about completing the Daily Health Self-Check (Daily Health Self-Check Questions – VWCC Response to COVID-19 – Virginia Western Community College). This page will contain the most up-to-date information about things to watch for, and you can also find a link to the current VDH Isolation Guidance.
The college continues to operate under the Chancellor’s Masking Mandate with regard to wearing masks while indoors on all VCCS campuses. This continuance is in alignment with current regulations from the Department of Labor and Industry (DOLI) that requires all employees to wear face coverings while indoors in areas of substantial or high transmission. This extends to students as well as faculty and staff. We will continue to monitor our regional numbers and will provide updates when appropriate.
The health and well-being of our students, instructors and staff is a top priority.
For your safety, the College will:
- Maintain a commitment to keeping educational interruptions to a minimum and helping students stay on track to complete their programs of study.
- Quickly respond to student concerns and/or questions as they may arise.
- Adapt, adjust, or change procedures or policies to adhere to CDC, state, or federal policy/guidelines.
Guidelines for Safe Return to Campus
- Virginia Western strongly encourages all students to receive COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Face coverings (masks) are required for fully vaccinated and for unvaccinated individuals in indoor settings at Virginia Western per current Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines and VCCS mandate.
- Students should follow the college’s Contagious Diseases Policy.
- Students are encouraged to complete a Daily Health Self-Check PRIOR to coming to class or to any VWCC-controlled location that day.
- Visible signage is placed across campus and at off-campus locations to provide guidance on hygiene, coughing/sneezing, social/physical distancing, use of face coverings, and campus navigation. As part of public health education and communications, signage is also posted on VWTVs throughout the campus that run on a continuous loop.
It is recommended that you sign up for VWCC Alerts so you can receive school-wide bulletins and texts or emails not only about closing, but other emergency information. To sign up, text VWCC to 888777 or go to https://www.virginiawestern.edu/alert.