Click the areas below to find out how to access these resources and services remotely.
＋ Advising & CCAP Coaching
＋ Remote Learning Support – Library & Tutoring
The STEM Center is open for tutoring via Zoom Monday-Friday 8-5 and Saturday 9-1. Students can access the STEM Center at https://vccs.zoom.us/my/stemcenter
To submit written work to the Online Writing Center for review, download, save, and complete the Student Submission Form here: https://infoguides.virginiawestern.edu/writingcenter/owc . Email both your paper and the submission form as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For individual tutoring appointments and for information about additional tutoring options, email email@example.com
Current students can also receive free online tutoring for all subjects 24/7 through Brainfuse. Log into the MyVWCC portal and choose the option for Brainfuse to sign in. Then, choose the topic & subject you need help with and you’ll be matched with an online tutor. Click Connect to begin working with your tutor right away. Brainfuse also includes flashcards, practice quizzes, and study guides that can be accessed 24/7 online.
All library article databases and eBooks can be accessed off-campus 24/7 by logging in with your MyVWCC username and password when prompted. Visit the library’s homepage to search or use the online chat/instant messaging service. Simply click on “Ask a Librarian Chat” for help: https://www.virginiawestern.edu/library/
If you need more in-depth help, librarians are available to conduct research consultations via phone, email, or Zoom. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
＋ Career Services Online
The Hall Associates Career Center offers a full range of online services that are available to students 24/7! Take advantage of valuable career resources for planning, preparation, and career connections. Need one-on-one career advising, resume writing, or job search assistance? Career specialists are available for remote appointments Monday through Friday from 8am until 5pm. Students may schedule Zoom/Phone/Email appointments through your online Career Connections/CCN portal account. (If you have not already activated your account, create a new one, or activate your account through the email invitation in your school inbox from College Central Network.
All Online Career Center Resources Are Mobile Ready!
Students and alumni can use the Career Connections/CCN to search for jobs, internships, resume help, interview tips, career podcasts, and much more! You can also upload your resume for review.
Do you have questions about your career direction? Take our online Career Coach assessment and explore programs and careers that fit your interests! (Hint: Take the detailed assessment.) Make sure you follow up with us for career advising.
Ace your next interview! Access interviewing video lessons and practice your interviewing skills with a virtual mock interview using our Big Interview platform. Register and create your account using your VWCC email address.
For more information, email email@example.com. Call and leave a message by phone Monday –Friday from 8am-5pm. We will return your call.
540-857-7298 – Main Number
540-857-6124 – Shonny Cooke, Career Services Manager
540-857-6825 – Cathy Ferguson, Career Development Specialist
*Please leave a detailed message including your name, number, and inquiry.
＋ Financial Aid
We continue to employ multiple avenues for our students and families to speak with a financial aid advisor, submit documents and receive timely information. Your requested documents should be submitted via our 24/7 Support Center. These documents are electronically sent to the Virginia Western financial aid office for processing. The Student Support Center is also ideal for getting quick answers and guidance for your next steps wherever you are in the financial aid process. You may also schedule a telephone appointment with a Virginia Western financial aid advisor through https://www.virginiawestern.edu/advising/schedule_an_appointment.php.
＋ Fitness Center & Recreation
Social distancing does not mean you need to give up on fitness. Chad Heddleston, our Recreation Coordinator, will be delivering these services to you online.
One-on-one online consultation
Contact Chad at CHeddleston@virginiawestern.edu to set up an online Zoom meeting. Chad can assist you with individual questions about fitness, nutrition, tips for getting outside, and more.
Join the Virginia Western Facebook Fitness Facebook Group
Chad will be posting daily videos for fitness, nutrition, mental health, and more. Follow along for weekly contests!
Getting outside can be a way to both de-stress and get in fitness. Chad’s online info guide is a great way to get started: https://infoguides.virginiawestern.edu/c.php?g=961172&p=6944229. More regional resources are available online at https://www.roanokeoutside.com.
Free Trials for Fitness Apps
- Peloton has extended the Peloton App free trial to 90 days: www.onepeloton.com/app (You do not need to own Peloton equipment to use the app).
- Daily Burn offers at 30 day free trial: www.dailyburn.com
- Down Dog is offering free access to its 5 apps (Yoga, Yoga for Beginners, HIIT, Barre, 7 Minute) for students and eduators until July 1. Download the app and sign up for an account with your @email.vccs.edu or @virginiawestern.edu address.
Healthy Nutrition Information
- The American Heart Association has a COV-19 website that includes tips for exercise, shelf-stable food recommendations and recipes to use your pantry food.
- Budget Bytes provides pantry recipes and other ways to stretch your food budget.
- Checkout Downshiftology for healthy food with simple , whole ingredients. The host’s videos provide step by step cooking instruction.
Chad suggests the following YouTube channels for additional fitness options:
- Dance along with Virginia Western’s J/K Pop Dance club: Arcane Impulse. Their YouTube channel has many dance routine videos for you to follow along!
- Athlean-X takes a deep-dive into many workout areas with a science-based approach that has earned him 9.5 million subscribers. His Perfect Home Workout (published 3/15/20) takes on the challenge of building and keeping muscle while at home. With sets and reps included, this may be your perfect quarantine workout!
- Popsugar Fitness offers a huge catalog of great full-length fitness videos of different types.
- You cannot help but smile and have fun when dancing along with The Fitness Marshall. Hit pop songs and good times make this channel a go-to for those that like to dance!
- Yoga With Adriene has relatable yoga. This link will take you to a 30 days series of at-home yoga from her channel.
- Roberta’s Gym does not have the personality of any of the others on this list but she always gets the count right. The animated bot offers counters, reps, and targeted workouts.
Beware of Health Fraud Scams! The FDA is currently issuing warning letters to companies claiming to sell products to prevent or cure coronavirus. Read more about tips for spotting Health Fraud Scams here: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/bioterrorism-and-drug-preparedness/how-spot-health-fraud
＋ Kroger Food Co-Op
If you have food insecurity, please contact Sheri Meixner at SMeixner@virginiawestern.edu or by phone at 540-857-6711. Sheri will assist you with getting the food items you need.
＋ Intervention Services
Things are stressful right now so it’s important to know that you have support available to help you through this! If you need to talk about what’s happening with you, please get in touch with me. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 540-857-6711. We’ll schedule a time to talk.
Remember that it’s important to work on relieving stress every day! Get in touch with me to discuss ways you can accomplish this.
＋ Office of Disability Services
We will continue to support our students with accommodations as outlined in their Accommodation Access Plan. To ensure accessibility, accommodations may be delivered differently, and Access Plans may need to be revised– Please connect with Disability Counselor, Hillary Holland with any of your questions or concerns- email@example.com
Students should continue to check CANVAS for any important updates from ODS.
CONNECT WITH US – We are here for YOU!
We will continue to support your requests as we move to online/remote learning. Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
If you …
|Want to request an official transcript and don’t have access to VWCC||Academic Transcript Request Instructions & Form (PDF)|
|Want to change your program of study||Request an online meeting with your faculty advisor, program advisor, or your new student advisor.|
|Need to substitute a course that you have received credit for and would like it applied to your major||Request an online meeting with your faculty advisor, program advisor, or your new student advisor.|
|Need to change your address/phone number||How to Change Your Address|
How to Change Your Phone Number
|Are changing your name||Notification of Change Form (PDF)|
|Want to release information on your behalf to an organization, parent, spouse or other party or to have an instructor write a letter of recommendation||Information Release Form (FERPA) (PDF)|
|Believe you have met the eligibility requirements for Academic Renewal||Petition for Academic Renewal Instructions & Form (PDF)|
|Would like to order a duplicate diploma||Duplicate Diploma Request (PDF)|
|Need an enrollment verification||Enrollment Verification (PDF)|
|Need to add your social security number||Notification of Change Form (PDF)|
|Are a curricular student and need your VCCS transcript evaluated||Request for VCCS Transcript Evaluation (PDF)|
＋ Student Bulletin
Do you have a question, and you aren’t sure what department to ask? Email your question or concern to StudentBulletin@virginiawestern.edu. This email is being monitored daily, and a staff member will either answer your question or direct your question to the appropriate department.
＋ Student ID Cards
While off campus, there should be a limited need to use a Virginia Western Student ID card. However, if you find yourself in a situation where a new or replacement card is needed, please email Natasha Lee, Student Activities Coordinator at NLee@virginiawestern.edu. We will evaluate the situation, look for alternative solutions, and make new IDs on a limited case-by-case basis only.
＋ Student Life Center/Student Activities
Many of us were looking forward to fun social events this spring: sports games, festivals, trips, concerts, dinners, etc. We are all feeling sadness and loss over the cancellation of planned activities. It is completely normal to feel sad right now about the loss of our favorite social activities.
Some people have found joy in doing new activities at home or reconnecting with family members. However, this transition isn’t easy for everyone. If you are having trouble finding a way to connect or finding an activity you could enjoy, please reach out to Natasha Lee, Student Activities Coordinator at NLee@virginiawestern.edu. I will be happy to talk with you and help you with some ideas. Here are a few suggestions of things to do at home to keep yourself connected and well during a stressful time:
- Go outside or exercise (check out our Fitness Center online services)
- Watch a comedy on Netflix, play upbeat music
- Take a shower or bath
- Love on your pets
- Text your friends and call your relatives
- Crafting, journaling, drawing/doodles or other expressive and artistic activities
Healthy coping skills are really important during times like this. If you find you are having difficulty finding healthy coping skills, or are engaging in harmful behaviors, please contact Sheri Meixner, our Intervention Counselor, so she can talk with you. Contact Sheri at SMexiner@virginiawestern.edu or 857-6711.
We are encouraging our clubs to continue meeting online. Zoom is a great online meeting platform, and every Virginia Western student has access to the program through their MyVWCC account. If your group wants assistance or help with setting up a meeting, please contact Natasha Lee at NLee@virginiawestern.
Make sure you are getting your news from reputable news outlets – not social media rumors. Some examples (but certainly not a complete list) of reputable news outlets include:
- Local : WSLS10 (NBC), WDBJ7 (CBS), ABC 13 (ABC), WFXR (Fox), The Roanoke Times (Roanoke.com)
- State: The Richmond Times Dispatch (Richmond.com)
- National: The Washington Post
＋ Virginia Western Bookstore
Free Ground Shipping. No minimum and no code required (exclusions apply). Have your textbooks, supplies and more shipped to your home. The Bookstore is ready to support learning regardless of where it takes place.
In order to facilitate the learning process and make your eLearning experience more dynamic, our campus store is offering three options to supplement and support your efforts.
- FREE Online Shipping Offer: Visit the campus store website https://www.bkstr.com/virginiawesternccstore for Free Shipping on all items with no minimum purchase. This includes various formats of course materials, supplies, apparel, technology and more.
- Access to eBooks AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE: Visit the campus store website https://www.bkstr.com/virginiawesternccstore to gain access to eBooks at no additional charge with your .edu email address. You can access up to 7 eBooks for the designated period free of charge.
- FREE Access to Lumen Learning OER Courseware: Lumen Learning, our OER partner, is offering FREE access to courseware to help supplement content, and offer additional resources to faculty, click here for the Lumen offer.
- Free Shipping on Rental Returns & Deadline Extensions: The campus store is offering free shipping return labels and is also extending the non-return period without penalty to assist with increased returns by mail. Click the COVID-19 message on the home page of the campus store website https://www.bkstr.com/virginiawesternccstore