During this move to online learning, many students may face a challenge in accessing the internet or a computer. Below is a list of options that may be helpful. All of the options may not be applicable to all students.
Student Laptop Loaner Program
Brown library has laptops available for semester-long student checkout. Students who need to borrow a laptop can bring a photo ID to the desk on the first floor of Brown Library anytime during normal operating hours. The laptops will need to be returned at the end of the semester during finals week. If you have further questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Campus Computer Lab
Brown Library’s first floor computer lab is available for students to use anytime the library is open and contains PCs, Macs, and special software for IT, Math, and Engineering courses. For current library hours and services, visit: https://www.virginiawestern.edu/library/.
Places you may be able to drive to
- Wi-Fi access at Virginia Western’s campus is accessible from many parking lots. WiFi Access Points are noted on the campus map here.
- Local public libraries also provide WiFi access from parking lots.
- You can find free Wi-Fi provided by the City of Salem and Roanoke College in Downtown Salem along the Main Street corridor from Craig Ave to Academy Street and Clay Street to Burwell Street. It can also be accessed at Salem Stadium, fairgrounds, and in City buildings. https://salemva.gov/Departments/Technology-Systems/Salem-Wifi
- Some Wi-Fi providers are opening up their hotspots in public places so that everyone can access them.
- Map of Public Wifi Hotspots
If you have a data plan on your mobile phone, you may be able to access the internet from a laptop, desktop, or tablet computer by turning your cellphone into a mobile hotspot. Search your provider’s website or see this article for basic instructions: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-turn-yourphone-into-a-wi-fi-hotspot
Roanoke County Public Library (RCPL) is checking out Mobile Hotspots. If you have a library card, you can check out a hotspot for free. Hotspots can be used to connect your tablet, laptop, or other WiFi enabled device to 4G LTE networks. RCPL hotspots can be borrowed for 28 days. Click here for more information.
BE AWARE: Data charges may apply and may be significant!!