Apply Now


Community College Access Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question to read the answer!

>> What is the Community College Access Program (CCAP)?

CCAP is a program that makes college available tuition-free to 2016 graduates of public high schools in the localities of Botetourt County, Craig County, Franklin County, Roanoke City, Roanoke County and Salem.  It covers the cost of tuition for two years at Virginia Western Community College if a qualified student does not have sufficient financial aid. CCAP supports as many students as possible based on student need and funds available for the program.

>> How do I know if I am eligible for CCAP?

To be eligible for consideration for CCAP, you must:

  • Attend a high school your junior and senior years in one locality and graduate from a high school in the same locality: Botetourt County, Craig County, Franklin County, Roanoke City, Roanoke County and Salem. You must also have resided for two years in the same locality where you attended high school for your junior and senior years. You must graduate high school with the following minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) based on the locality from which you are applying:
    • Botetourt County = 2.5 GPA
    • Craig County = 2.5 GPA
    • Franklin County = 2.5 GPA
    • Roanoke City = 2.0 GPA
    • Roanoke County - 2.5 GPA
    • Salem = 2.5 GPA
  • Meet the February 29, 2016 deadline for submission of all application requirements, including the CCAP application, take the placement tests at Virginia Western in the Testing Center, and file the current year Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Have a completed Virginia Western financial aid file, meeting all CCAP deadlines. The Financial Aid Office will assist you to ensure you have a completed financial aid file with the college. Please direct all financial aid questions to the Financial Aid Office at 1-855-874-6690 or .
  • Take the required Virginia Western placement tests in the Testing Center. If more than two (2) developmental courses are needed, you will not be eligible for the program; however, you may still be eligible to attend Virginia Western. Students must meet with a Virginia Western Academic Advisor to have their test scores interpreted.
  • Enroll at Virginia Western in a degree/diploma/certificate program that meets the federal financial aid requirements in the fall semester immediately following your 2016 high school graduation.

>> May home-schooled students apply to CCAP?

Currently, because each locality funds CCAP for its students, only home-schooled students who have resided in Franklin County (during the time comparable to a student's junior and senior years of high school) may apply for CCAP.

>> What additional criteria do I need to meet to REMAIN eligible for CCAP?

There are several criteria that students must continue to meet to remain eligible for participation in the program:

  • You must maintain a cumulative overall GPA to remain eligible for program assistance, based on the program for which you are accepted:
    • Botetourt County = 2.5 GPA
    • Craig County = 2.5 GPA
    • Franklin County = 2.5 GPA
    • Roanoke City = 2.0 GPA
    • Roanoke County - 2.5 GPA
    • Salem = 2.5 GPA

    Students who do not maintain the above cumulative GPA at the end of any semester will not be eligible to receive CCAP funds during any subsequent semester.

    PLEASE NOTE: CCAP will pay for up to two (8) developmental credits (if needed), during the first year of the program.
  • Students must enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours (9 credit hours in Roanoke City) and a maximum of 15 credit hours per semester in a specific program of study. If funding is available, students may enroll in a maximum of 6 credits during the 2016 summer semester to help fulfill their specific program of study requirements.
  • If in any semester a student falls below the full-time minimum requirement and/or required GPA, or does not meet certain other performance requirements, the student will no longer be eligible for CCAP funding in future semesters.
  • Students are required to attend a Virginia Western Discover orientation session.
  • Students must complete a 4 hour Community Service Learning Project during the fall and spring semesters each year they participate in the program.

>> If I complete the CCAP application process does that mean I am automatically in the CCAP?

No, CCAP acceptance is dependent on two things:

  1. Meeting the eligibility requirements and completing the application process satisfactorily.
  2. Availability of CCAP funding. CCAP is dependent upon support annually from public and private sources. The amount of CCAP funds available may vary from year to year.

>> When will I hear if I have been accepted to CCAP or not?

The Educational Foundation makes every attempt to notify students with a conditional acceptance letter by May 1st each year. Students who have been conditionally accepted must attend a mandatory acceptance meeting with their parent or guardian in mid-May 2016. The dates of the mandatory acceptance meetings are announced in January when the application is made available. At the mandatory meeting students will sign an agreement with the Educational Foundation regarding their participation in CCAP.

>> If I am accepted into CCAP and do not fulfill the requirements of the program as detailed in the agreement I signed with the Educational Foundation what will happen?

If you do not fulfill the requirements of the CCAP as detailed by the agreement that you have signed with the Educational Foundation you will no longer be eligible for CCAP in future semesters.

>> May I take online courses to fulfill my full-time requirement?

Yes, a CCAP student may take online courses as needed. Though studies have shown that student success with online courses is less than courses taken in the classroom, it is the responsibility of the student to select the course delivery that is best suited to his/her learning style and program requirements.

>> Is the cost of summer tuition covered?

Yes, if you do not have sufficient financial aid to pay for tuition for up to six (6) credits in summer and if CCAP funds are available. CCAP students may enroll in six (6) credits during the summer semester following the first year of successfully CCAP participation. You must inform the program of your intention to enroll in summer classes on the 2nd Year CCAP Application provided in January each year to qualifying 1st Year CCAP students. CCAP will not pay for any developmental course credits during the summer semester.

>> If I am receiving full Financial Aid, am I still included in CCAP?

Yes, you may participate in CCAP! The Community College Access Program covers tuition for up to and including 15 credits, either through the financial aid process or, if financial aid does not cover your tuition, through CCAP funding. Participants receiving full financial aid are required to meet all CCAP deadlines and requirements to maintain eligibility for the program in future semesters. It is also important to remain in the CCAP program because your financial situation may change from year to year.

>> How do I update my contact information?

It is imperative that you inform the Educational Foundation of any change to your physical address, email address, telephone, or other important contact information. To update your information please see our contact information to the right.

>> What is the CCAP Service Learning Project?

The CCAP Community Service Learning Project for 2016-2017 will be a 4 hour project each semester of the CCAP student’s choice, approved by staff prior to the date of service.

>> My student account shows that I have a balance due for my tuition or I am showing no anticipated aid. Will my classes be dropped for non-payment?

No. Students who are awarded CCAP funding will have their award placed on their student account prior to the start of fall semester classes. When you enroll in classes, a balance due is created on your account for the tuition for those courses. The balance due remains on your account until which time the college processes financial aid, loans, CCAP awards and scholarships to pay tuition bills each semester.


Contact Us

Phone: 540-857-7544
Fax: 540-857-6370
TTY: 800-855-2880 All users: 711

Botetourt County: 
Craig County: 
Franklin County: 
Roanoke City: 
Roanoke County: 
Salem City: