Beginning Monday, June 24th several parking spaces in front of Webber will be blocked off for safety. This is necessary to allow the off-loading of steel to construct the 3rd floor. This process will take about 10 days. The project is on schedule. Thank you for your patience during this important construction process.
June 21, 2013
We are seeking interviews with grandparents who are sole or partial caretakers of pre-school age children for a Radford University research study. We are exploring health literacy (attitudes and knowledge about child health and well-being). Interviews involve completing a questionnaire and will take 20-30 minutes of your time.
MRI Research Study on Depression
Researchers at Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute are conducting a new research study investigating emotional reactions in brain responses in people who suffer from depression. We may first invite you to come in for an interview about some of your experiences and how you are feeling. We may then ask you to come back and do some activities during a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scan, which uses a magnet and radio waves (no x-rays!). Counseling may also be available for those who are interested.�
Compensation: Interview: $15/hour Scanning: $20-60 per scanning session plus a high resolution image of your brain. Free counseling.
If you would like to participate, please contact Cari at 540-526-2032 or email email@example.com.
fNIR STUDY PARTICIPANTS NEEDED
This study involves characterizing certain students who vary in their altruistic tendencies, and the first part of this characterization is accomplished through a survey. If a student's answers align with our criteria, they could be asked to come in for a follow-up study. Each participant will be compensated if they are chosen for the follow-up.
ELIGIBILITY: Must be 18 or older
BRAIN PATTERN STUDY
The Human Neuroimaging Laboratory at Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute (VTCRI) located in Roanoke, Virginia would like to invite you to participate in a variety of groundbreaking studies!
- Eligibility: healthy adults, age 18-64
- Compensation: at least $20.00
- Primary goal: To study the response of the normal brain to patterns of stimuli, rewards, and decision-making
- Institute sponsor: Human Neuroimaging Laboratory labs.vtc.vt.edu/hnl
- Study timeframe/duration: 1-3 hours per visit
If you are interested in volunteering, please visit: http://vtcri.info/jkzexq
To contact us via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; or call 540-526-2034
The Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute is conducting a brain imaging study on cigarette smokers. Eligible participants must meet the following criteria:
- Current smokers, age 18-55
- Smoke at least 5 cigarettes per day
- Have been smoking for the past year
You will be compensated for your time. Eligible participants typically make $50 for the first session and $30 for the second session, with the potential to earn an additional $75. We have two locations, Blacksburg and Roanoke, and scheduling is very flexible to best accommodate your schedule. If interested, please contact Andre at 540-526-2068 email@example.com for more information.
OEF/OIF VETERANS NEEDED FOR FMRI STUDIES
- Deployment impacts veterans in many ways
- We use new FMRI technology to understand how deployment can affect the biology of the brain
- Have the study described and questions answered by study staff before deciding to participate
- Participate in a videotaped interview about your life experiences
- Fill out some questionnaires
- Complete computer tasks during an fMRI scan which may include:
- Viewing positive, negative, & neutral images- including some that are combat related
- Playing simple computer games
- Be asked to provide a saliva sample for genetic analyses
- Receive a CD copy of your structural brain scan
- Be compensated $15 per hour for the interview & questionnaire session and $20 or more for the fMRI scan depending on how you play the game
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- OEF/OIF Veterans who are:
- Between 18 & 64 years old
- Free from metal in their body
- Not claustrophobic
PRINCIPLES OF CHEMISTRY 2nd Edition-Binder ready, CHM 111-112, $50 like new-used one semester. firstname.lastname@example.org
A History of World Societies $80, McKay, ninth edition, excellent condition no markings or highlights. Experience Psychology VWCC $50 King, 2010. Precalculus $100 Sullivan, ninth edition. Precalculus Student’s Solutions Manual $ 40 for Sullivan ninth edition. The Compact Bedford Introduction to Literature $60 Meyer, ninth edition. The Little Brown Compact Handbook w/exercises $50 Aaron, eight edition. Patterns for College Writing $60 Kirszner/Mandell, twelfth edition. Campbell Biology Concepts & Connections $110 Reece, seventh edition. Photo Atlas for Biology $20 Perry/Morton. Microsoft Office 2010 Introductory $50 Shelly/Vermaat, Does not contain SAM. All books in great condition. Email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Literature A Portable Anthology Second Edition, ENG 112, good condition, $30; Biology Concepts & Connections Seventh Edition, BIO 101-102, excellent condition, $100 (ask about lab book); Case Studies in Psychotherapy Sixth Edition, MEN 100 & 225, excellent condition, $50; Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy A Case Approach 3rd Edition, excellent condition, $90; Interviewing and Change Strategies for Helpers Sixth Edition, MEN 101-102, excellent condition, $80; Groups a Counseling Specialty 6th Edition, MEN 221, excellent condition, $75; The Successful Internship Third Edition, MEN 290, great condition, $50; Questions that Matter An Invitation to Philosophy Sixth Edition, PHI 101, excellent condition, $60; Experience Psychology, PSY 200, excellent condition, $80; Looking Out Looking In 13th Edition, PSY 120, excellent condition, $65; Abnormal Psychology Eighth Edition, PSY 215, excellent condition, $100; Behavior Modification Principles & Procedures Fifth Edition, PSY 220, excellent condition, $120; Life-Span Human Development 7th Edition, PSY 230, excellent condition, $100; Society the basics, SOC 200, good condition, $70. 540-580-4890 (text or call), email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
ENGLISH 112 (USED IN THE FALL SEMESTER) TITLE: Compact Bedford Intro to Literature, AUTHOR: Meyer, EDITION: 9th, COPYRIGHT YEAR: 2012, PUBLISHER: Bedford Saint Martin's, ISBN:9780312594343, $35.00 Contact email@example.com
ENGLISH 111 OR ENGLISH 112 (USED CURRENTLY IN FALL SEMESTER) TITLE: Little, Brown Compact Hdbk w/Exer, AUTHOR: Aaron, EDITION: 8th, COPYRIGHT YEAR: 2012, PUBLISHER: Longman, ISBN:9780205217519, $25.00 firstname.lastname@example.org
A HISTORY OF WORLD SOCIETIES 9th Edition (for HIS111-112). $65.00. This is the complete volume and it's in very good condition. It does have some writing/underlining, and a lot in some chapters, but mostly clean pages. Please contact Aaron Holloway at email@example.com or call/text at 540-278-3261.
GREGG COLLEGE KEYBOARDING & DOCUMENT PROCESSING, 11TH EDITION (Kit 3, with text/MS OW Man/Access, lessons 1-120). Excellent condition for $50.00. All you need is the GDP Online Software Registration Card available at bookstore. OFFICE PROCEDURES & THEORY- Excellent condition. $40.00. COLLEGE SUCCESS SKILLS- Good condition. $20.00. Contact Leane at firstname.lastname@example.org
GREGG COLLEGE KEYBOARDING & DOCUMENT PROCESSING, 11TH EDITION (Kit 3, with text/MS OW Man/Access, lessons 1-120). Excellent, like new condition for $80.00. All you need is the GDP Online Software Registration Card available at bookstore. Contact Robert at email@example.com.
- TREK 920 MOUNTAIN BIKE, tuned at Cycle Ward on Jefferson St. Mounting lights available and level 3 security chain, asking $150 obo contact Tony @336-542-7708 or 540-676-3504
- THE GREENBRIER CLASSIC GOLF DAY TICKETS July 1st thru July 7th only $20 a day per ticket, I have two tickets for each day!! Give Marla Whiteside a call 857-6316 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- LOOKING TO RENT OR LEASE 5 ACRES and up with a barn and pasture ready for a horse and 2 dogs while stationed in the Roanoke area. Lease time would be for up to two years. Please contact Mark Smith at: email@example.com
- SPANISH TUTORING FOR VIRGINIA WESTERN STUDENTS, $15 per hour, discounts for more the 2 hours per week. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- EPSON PERFECTION 3200 PHOTO SCANNER: For sale $95. Price new was over $400. Excellent condition. Comes with cables but you will need to download the software for your computer from the Epson site. 362-5113 or 857-6070
- FRESH BROWN EGGS FOR SALE: From free-range chickens. Contact Elizabeth Wilmer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- SOFAS FOR SALE: Three used sofas $150 Call 704-492-3255 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have an item to post FOR BUY/SALE/TRADE/FREE? Please submit your information ready to post with complete contact information to email@example.com.
Friday, June 21, 2013
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting (4pm – 7pm) @ Mr. Bill’s Wine Cellar
- Summer Solstice Fest. (5pm – 10pm) @Downtown Blacksburg. For more info ‐ www.downtownblacksburg.com/summer_solstice_fest.aspx
- First Fridays @ Five (5pm – 8pm) @ SunTrust Plaza – Franklin Road. For more information visit www.firstfridaysroanoke.com
- Friday Night Live (7:30pm – 11pm) @ Chateau Morrisette. Wine and live music! – www.thedogs.com
- Dancing Under the Stars (7:30pm – 11pm) @ Valhalla Winery. Bring your picnic and enjoy a DJ and dancing – www.valhallawines.com
Saturday, June 22, 2013
- Free Wine Tasting (noon – 5 p.m.) @ Mr. Bill’s Wine Cellar
- Cornhole (8am – ??) @ Tanglewood Mall. Cornhole tournament. For more info - ww2.roanoke.com/eventcalendar/EventDetails.aspx?eventID=37645&dteId=45004
- Apple Ridge Farm Charity High Heel Race (10am – 3pm) @ Downtown Roanoke. Men and women race in high heels to raise money for Apple Ridge Farm. For more info - http://appleridge.org/blog/?page_id=232
- Spectacular Saturdays at the Taubman (10am – 5pm) @ Taubman Museum of Art. Join us for Free Spectacular Saturdays with lots of fun activities. For more info – www.taubmanmuseum.org
- Advanced iPhone Photography Workshop (10:30am – 4pm) @ Taubman Museum of Art. Dig deeper into the apps that are most useful to finish your iPhone photos in a unique way. For more info – www.taubmanmuseum.org
- City Market Saturdays (11am – 2:30pm) @ Downtown Roanoke. For more info - www.downtownroanoke.org
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting (12pm – 5pm) @ Wine Gourmet
- Summer Solstice Fest. (1pm – 12am) @Downtown Blacksburg. For more info ‐ www.downtownblacksburg.com/summer_solstice_fest.aspx
- The Art of Brewing (2pm – 5pm) @ Meadowbrook Library – Shawsville. Dan McMichael of the New River Valley Brewers Guild will speak on the history of brewing & brewing better beer. For more info - ww2.roanoke.com/eventcalendar/EventDetails.aspx?eventID=37796&dteId=46584
- Bluegrass on the Market (6pm– 10pm) @ Salem Farmer’s Market. Bluegrass Jam. For More info - http://home.comcast.net/~bluegrass-in-roanoke/site/?/home/
- Cinema on the Lawn (8pm – 11pm) @ Chateau Morrisette. Movie on the lawn. For more info – www.thedogs.com
THIRD ANNUAL “SUMMER STOCK DINNER THEATER” with a Shakespearean performance of “Taming of the Shrew” and a traditional Elizabethan meal. The performances will take place at AmRhein’s Wine Cellars (9243 Patterson Drive, Bent Mountain, VA 24059) on Sunday June 30. Doors open at 3PM, and the performance will begin at 4PM outdoors under a lovely late afternoon sky. So bring your own lawn chairs or blankets and sit back and enjoy a great performance and a fabulous night!
This true Shakespearean classic, “Taming of the Shrew” is a romantic comedy that focuses principally on the relationships between men and women as they evolve and progress from initial interest into marriage. The play offers a unique glimpse into the future lives of married couples by examining the social dimensions of love. This show will be performed by the troupe Open Air Shakespeare. This Troupe travels around offering exceptional Shakespearean performances. In addition to being timeless classics that have entertained millions for centuries; Shakespeare’s plays are intentionally versatile and designed to be performed outdoors! The famous Globe Theatre, in which his works were originally performed, was open to the sky. Now, Open Air Shakespeare NRV will be bringing this time honored tradition to life at AmRhein’s Wine cellars.
A traditional Elizabethan meal will also be available at each performance. The menu choices are Chicken Pie or Poached Salmon both with Bread, Compound Sallet (salad), and Rice Pudding. Additional beverages will also be available for sale at AmRhein’s Wine Cellars.
The show plus the catered meal will be available for $20 per person, or $8 for admission only, if purchased in advance. $10 show only tickets will also be available at the door the day of the performance. Cash only please. Children under five years of age are admitted free. Advance reservations must be made by the Monday preceding the performance date. For more information or reservations please visit us on our website at www.RoanokeCountyParks.com or call 540-387-6078 ext 0 “Summer Stock Dinner Theater” is an event of Roanoke County Parks, Recreation and Tourism.
The 28TH ANNUAL PEACH FESTIVAL will be held on Saturday, August 3, 2013 on-site at The Northwest Child Development Center located at 1523 Melrose Avenue NW, Roanoke, VA 24017. The festival is from 9am-9pm. There will be Peach Desserts for sale on Friday, August 2nd for delivery. For more information or to place an order for a peach cobbler, please contact Christie Jackson @ (540) 588-2104.
NFL FLAG FOOTBALL - COMING LATER THIS SUMMER! We're excited to introduce a new division of football for Roanoke County youth ages 6 to 9. NFL Flag Football is a fun and face paced non-contact alternative to football. The program emphasizes skills development, fitness, teamwork and sportsmanship. Practice begins the first Saturday in August, with games beginning after Labor Day. For more information on the program please visit our website, www.roanokecountyva.gov/flagfootball or call (540) 387-6078.
EVERY WEDNESDAY ULTIMATE FRISBEE Roanoke Ultimate (Frisbee) Weekly Pickup - Every Wednesday, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm @ River's Edge Sport Complex South - Field 4. For info - www.roanokeultimate.com.
Do you have an item to post in COMMUNITY EVENTS? Please submit your information ready to post with complete contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.