Getting Started - International Students

For more information on becoming an international student, please refer to our International Student Resources section or call 540-857-6099.

1. Apply to Virginia Western

There are three ways to apply to Virginia Western:

  • Review instructions and apply online.
  • Download the VWCC Application in PDF format. Return the completed application to the Virginia Western Enrollment Office in Chapman Hall Rm 108, by fax at 540-857-6163 or by mail at:

    VWCC Enrollment Center
    3094 Colonial Avenue SW
    Roanoke, VA 24015
  • Request a mailed application by contacting the Virginia Western Enrollment Office at 540-857-7231.

You may also download the Application for In-State Tuition in PDF format.

2. Complete the I-20 Student Information Form

Click here to review the I-20 requirements and complete the form.

All I-20 forms are filed with INS on the Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) electronic database. The form must be completed very accurately. It is the basis for your I-20 and some Consular Offices are very particular.

3. Obtain a copy of your I-94 (In-Country Applicants Only)

If you are an in-country applicant, you must obtain a copy of your I-94, Passport, or Visa to provide to the International Education office.

4. Take The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

You must complete the TOEFL and earn a score of at least:

  • 500 on a paper-based test
  • 173 on a computer-based test OR
  • 61 on an Internet-based test.

Our code for reporting scores is 5868.

5. Obtain Transcripts

You must obtain transcripts and English translations of all your High School and/or College records.

6. Obtain an Affidavit of Support

Click here for more information and to download the Affidavit of Support (I-134) Form.

7. Submit Your I-901 Fee

After you receive your I-20, submit your I-901 fee to the Federal Government.

8. If Transferring, Submit the Transfer Eligibility Form (In-country Applicants Only)

If you are transferring from another U.S. college, please complete the Transfer Eligibility Form and submit a copy of your current I-20.

Student Testimonial Banner

VWCC Alerts

We use VW Alert to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency.

Get more info and register