Creating A Group Advising Session
Instructors, Faculty Advisors, & Advisors
- Sign in to MyVWCC by clicking on the Login to MyVWCC link on the left of this screen or the MyVWCC link on the Virginia Western homepage.
- Click SAILS.
- If you do not already have the room location for your Group Advising Session set up as a location for yourself in your Appointment Preferences you will need to add it first. If the room is already in your preferences please skip to Step 8
- To add a room to your preferences click on your name in the upper right to Edit Profile
- Click Appointment Preferences
- Under My Locations select Add Location.
- Select Type of location and Name the location – the name should be the Room Number (ex. D204 or Duncan 204) as this is what will show to students. Click Save.
- Click Submit in the upper right.
- To set up your Group Session click either Home or Appointments.
- Click Group Session.
- Enter a Title for you session – Whatever you want it to be called – this is what students will see!
- Enter your Date, Time, location, reason & number of students who can attend.
- If you select "Allow students to see other students who have signed up" then students can see other registered students – I typically do not check this box.
- Support Supplemental Instruction – only check this box if the event is intended only for students in a certain class as it will only allow students in x class section to sign up. It will not allow you to choose even multiple sections of the same class – only students in BIO 141-11 can sign up or be added if this is the class you select here.
- Add instructions if needed then click Submit.
- You can add students yourself (directions below) or students can now register for your session through SAILS by following the same directions that they would use to sign up for an appointment with an advisor. Directions are at this link.
- To make changes to your session hover on the icon indicated below in your SAILS Appointment Calendar.
- Then select Edit from the window that pops up.
Adding Students to a Group Advising Session
- Sometimes you want to be able to add students to a session yourself. This can be done before or after your group session meets, which makes it great for group sessions that did not take pre-registration or that allowed students to come without preregistering. I do recommend having a sign in sheet at your event to capture both name and Student ID or VWCC email as often there are multiple students with the same name.
- Click on Appointments at the top left of the screen to open your calendar.
- Use the monthly calendar on the left of the screen to click on the date of your Group Session.
- Click Manage Participants on your Group Session.
- Type in participant by name or Student ID number and select them from the drop down list. Click Add.
- You can also use this Manage Participants option to add Outcomes for students in attendance. Your notes will show up in their SAILS folder. To do this click on the Outcomes or SpeedNotes tab. Outcomes lets you type your own notes while SpeedNotes are prewritten options that allow you to click 1 or more statements.
- Click Submit.