Friday, June 21, 2013
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting (4pm – 7pm) @ Mr. Bill’s Wine Cellar
- Summer Solstice Fest. (5pm – 10pm) @Downtown Blacksburg. For more info ‐ www.downtownblacksburg.com/summer_solstice_fest.aspx
- First Fridays @ Five (5pm – 8pm) @ SunTrust Plaza – Franklin Road. For more information visit www.firstfridaysroanoke.com
- Friday Night Live (7:30pm – 11pm) @ Chateau Morrisette. Wine and live music! – www.thedogs.com
- Dancing Under the Stars (7:30pm – 11pm) @ Valhalla Winery. Bring your picnic and enjoy a DJ and dancing – www.valhallawines.com
Saturday, June 22, 2013
- Free Wine Tasting (noon – 5 p.m.) @ Mr. Bill’s Wine Cellar
- Cornhole (8am – ??) @ Tanglewood Mall. Cornhole tournament. For more info - ww2.roanoke.com/eventcalendar/EventDetails.aspx?eventID=37645&dteId=45004
- Apple Ridge Farm Charity High Heel Race (10am – 3pm) @ Downtown Roanoke. Men and women race in high heels to raise money for Apple Ridge Farm. For more info - http://appleridge.org/blog/?page_id=232
- Spectacular Saturdays at the Taubman (10am – 5pm) @ Taubman Museum of Art. Join us for Free Spectacular Saturdays with lots of fun activities. For more info – www.taubmanmuseum.org
- Advanced iPhone Photography Workshop (10:30am – 4pm) @ Taubman Museum of Art. Dig deeper into the apps that are most useful to finish your iPhone photos in a unique way. For more info – www.taubmanmuseum.org
- City Market Saturdays (11am – 2:30pm) @ Downtown Roanoke. For more info - www.downtownroanoke.org
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting (12pm – 5pm) @ Wine Gourmet
- Summer Solstice Fest. (1pm – 12am) @Downtown Blacksburg. For more info ‐ www.downtownblacksburg.com/summer_solstice_fest.aspx
- The Art of Brewing (2pm – 5pm) @ Meadowbrook Library – Shawsville. Dan McMichael of the New River Valley Brewers Guild will speak on the history of brewing & brewing better beer. For more info - ww2.roanoke.com/eventcalendar/EventDetails.aspx?eventID=37796&dteId=46584
- Bluegrass on the Market (6pm– 10pm) @ Salem Farmer’s Market. Bluegrass Jam. For More info - http://home.comcast.net/~bluegrass-in-roanoke/site/?/home/
- Cinema on the Lawn (8pm – 11pm) @ Chateau Morrisette. Movie on the lawn. For more info – www.thedogs.com
THIRD ANNUAL “SUMMER STOCK DINNER THEATER” with a Shakespearean performance of “Taming of the Shrew” and a traditional Elizabethan meal. The performances will take place at AmRhein’s Wine Cellars (9243 Patterson Drive, Bent Mountain, VA 24059) on Sunday June 30. Doors open at 3PM, and the performance will begin at 4PM outdoors under a lovely late afternoon sky. So bring your own lawn chairs or blankets and sit back and enjoy a great performance and a fabulous night!
This true Shakespearean classic, “Taming of the Shrew” is a romantic comedy that focuses principally on the relationships between men and women as they evolve and progress from initial interest into marriage. The play offers a unique glimpse into the future lives of married couples by examining the social dimensions of love. This show will be performed by the troupe Open Air Shakespeare. This Troupe travels around offering exceptional Shakespearean performances. In addition to being timeless classics that have entertained millions for centuries; Shakespeare’s plays are intentionally versatile and designed to be performed outdoors! The famous Globe Theatre, in which his works were originally performed, was open to the sky. Now, Open Air Shakespeare NRV will be bringing this time honored tradition to life at AmRhein’s Wine cellars.
A traditional Elizabethan meal will also be available at each performance. The menu choices are Chicken Pie or Poached Salmon both with Bread, Compound Sallet (salad), and Rice Pudding. Additional beverages will also be available for sale at AmRhein’s Wine Cellars.
The show plus the catered meal will be available for $20 per person, or $8 for admission only, if purchased in advance. $10 show only tickets will also be available at the door the day of the performance. Cash only please. Children under five years of age are admitted free. Advance reservations must be made by the Monday preceding the performance date. For more information or reservations please visit us on our website at www.RoanokeCountyParks.com or call 540-387-6078 ext 0 “Summer Stock Dinner Theater” is an event of Roanoke County Parks, Recreation and Tourism.
The 28TH ANNUAL PEACH FESTIVAL will be held on Saturday, August 3, 2013 on-site at The Northwest Child Development Center located at 1523 Melrose Avenue NW, Roanoke, VA 24017. The festival is from 9am-9pm. There will be Peach Desserts for sale on Friday, August 2nd for delivery. For more information or to place an order for a peach cobbler, please contact Christie Jackson @ (540) 588-2104.
NFL FLAG FOOTBALL - COMING LATER THIS SUMMER! We're excited to introduce a new division of football for Roanoke County youth ages 6 to 9. NFL Flag Football is a fun and face paced non-contact alternative to football. The program emphasizes skills development, fitness, teamwork and sportsmanship. Practice begins the first Saturday in August, with games beginning after Labor Day. For more information on the program please visit our website, www.roanokecountyva.gov/flagfootball or call (540) 387-6078.
EVERY WEDNESDAY ULTIMATE FRISBEE Roanoke Ultimate (Frisbee) Weekly Pickup - Every Wednesday, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm @ River's Edge Sport Complex South - Field 4. For info - www.roanokeultimate.com.
Do you have an item to post in COMMUNITY EVENTS? Please submit your information ready to post with complete contact information to email@example.com.