Are you graduating in May and have a great story about what Virginia Western has meant to you? Have you overcome obstacles to pursue your education and find success? Do you think you can inspire others to follow their dreams?
Maybe you should consider applying to become Virginia Western’s student speaker at commencement. We are accepting applications at email@example.com from now until noon on March 22. Please include the following required information:
- Full name
- Contact information
- Letter of recommendation from at least one faculty member
- Synopsis of speech topic
The student speaker will present a 5-10 minute speech in front of approximately 5,000 people at the Commencement Ceremony on May 10, 2013 at the Salem Civic Center. Interviews will be held during the last week of March to determine the student speaker, and the selected speaker must write a speech that will be reviewed and must be available to rehearse it prior to the ceremony.
To kick off National Sexual Assault Awareness Month, the Armed Forces Student Association and OPPSS are showing The Invisible War, an award-winning documentary on sexual assault in the military. There will be 2 showings on March 26th at 2 and 5 PM in Whitman Theater, with a short Q&A session to follow each.
The movie is a late addition to the Career Center passports, so extra credit may be available for attendance.
These showings are open to the public. There is no charge, but donations are appreciated.
For more information, please contact Michele Hilts at 857-7395 or Gwen Johnson at 857-6685.
Veterans’ Certifying Official
Virginia Western Community College
International Student Club
A new organization for international students! We will meet to discuss the needs of international students. We will discuss resources on and off campus as well as ways of helping each other. All students welcome!
Where: Duncan Hall Room 220
When: Tuesday, March 26th at 1:00pm
REACH/Student Support Services
Virginia Western Community College
- ITEMS FOR SALE: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 $25; Dog Ramp (heavy duty) will measure if interested $35; Extra Large Ultimate Dog Bed (brand new from Foster n Smith) 35x50 $50 (firm). Call 309-4549 if interested.
- DOG CAGE WANTED: In need of a dog cage for a small dog. If you would you like to get rid of one, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SPANISH TUTORING FOR VIRGINIA WESTERN STUDENTS, $15 per hour, discounts for more the 2 hours per week. Contact me at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- WEIGHT SET: A great value! Includes – 395 lbs. of cast plates, 310 lbs. of dumbells, bench, weight bar, arm curl bar, 2 spotter stands, weight stand. New price $1156, asking $450. Email: email@example.com
- EPSON PERFECTION 3200 PHOTO SCANNER: For sale $95. Price new was over $400. Excellent condition. Comes with cables but you will need to download the software for your computer from the Epson site. 362-5113 or 857-6070
- FRESH BROWN EGGS FOR SALE: From free-range chickens. Contact Elizabeth Wilmer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- SOFAS FOR SALE: Three used sofas $150 Call 704-492-3255 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ROANOKE VALLEY WOMEN'S SOCCER LEAGUE - Need women 18 + years old, especially over 35, to join the new recreational division this spring. Desperately seeking "play for fun" women. The cost is $50 for 10+ games. The games are Sundays in the afternoon at Botetourt Sports Complex (usually) from March 24 to June 2.No experience necessary -- we will fumble the ball together. This sport is a bun burner; we play 80-minute games with breaks at 20 minutes. The club (recreational) division has 2 teams and each team needs more players. We get to choose a team color and name so come be soccer divas with me! I'm 62 years old and really want women somewhat close to my age with which to play. Email Edna at email@example.com with your name and experience. For information about the league go to RVWSL.info
- SMOKING RESEARCH STUDY. Do you smoke cigarettes? Volunteers are needed for a brain imaging study at the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute. Earn up to $380 (in cash and/or cigarettes). Call or text 315-0205.
Do you have an item to post FOR BUY/SALE/TRADE/FREE? Please submit your information ready to post with complete contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, March 22, 2013
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting (4-7 p.m.) @ Mr. Bill’s Wine Cellar
- Winter Wonderland Getaway (11am – 9pm) @ Chateau Morrisette. Enjoy a Château Morrisette dinner on Friday evening, a complimentary winery tour and wine tasting and Friday night’s lodging at a participating lodging facility. For more info – www.thedogs.com
- Free Weekly Beer Tasting (5pm – 8pm) @ Wine Gourmet
- Cheers for Charities (5:30pm – 7:30pm)@ Billy’s. Come out for Happy Hour and have a few drinks to help benefit a non-profit. For more information – https://www.facebook.com/CheersforCharities?fref=ts
- Callback Comedy Club (8pm – 11pm) @ Pomegranate Restaurant. Standup Comedy Comes to Botetourt. For more info – http://ww2.roanoke.com/eventcalendar/EventDetails.aspx?eventID=35932&dteId=36431
Saturday, March 23, 2012
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting (noon-5 p.m.) @ Mr. Bill’s Wine Cellar
- Physicians on Foot (8:30am) @ Tanglewood Mall. Numerous Carilion Clinic physicians are lacing up their walking shoes alongside the public in the "Physicians on Foot" weekly walking program. For info - www.carilionclinic.org/walking
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting (12pm – 5pm) @ Wine Gourmet
- Spring Cocktail Crawl (1pm – 9pm) @ Downtown Roanoke For more info- https://www.facebook.com/events/553550718003597/
- Wine and Dine (6pm – 10pm) @ Wilderness Adventure at Eagle Landing. 3rd annual Wine & Dine series in our charming Main Lodge. We team up with local wineries to create perfect food pairings to compliment a selection of their top wines. The event includes lodging, dinner, and wine tastings in an unique environment with perfect ambiance. For more info - http://ww2.roanoke.com/eventcalendar/EventDetails.aspx?eventID=34695&dteId=31021
Sunday, March 24, 2012
Tuesday, March 26, 2012
Do you have an item to post in COMMUNITY EVENTS? Please submit your information ready to post with complete contact information to email@example.com.