In order to assist students in class selection and program requirements; faculty and academic advisors will be available TODAY from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the following computer labs.
Accounting, Administrative Management Technology, Culinary Arts, Engineering, Engineering Technology, Records Coding, Information Systems Technology, Management, Technical Studies and Welding students should go to Business Science room 268.
Math, Science and Health Technology students should go to Business Science room 320.
Liberal Arts, Social Sciences, General Studies, Early Childhood Development, Human Services and Wellness students should go to Business Science room 306.
The Advising/Retention Office will be closed today however they will be available in the labs listed above to assist students. If you have questions about which room you need to go, the front desk in Chapman Hall has a reference list and will be glad to assist.
Virginia Western Night with the Salem Red Sox! Dr. Sandel will throw out the first pitch. Faculty, staff and students get in FREE with a current ID! Game starts at 6 p.m.
Kiwanis Pancake & Auction Day, April 17, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. @ Roanoke Civic Center. Tickets are $5/each. See Cheryl Miller in Fishburn Hall room 212.
Friday, April 13th
- Free Weekly Beer Tasting, 5 – 8 p.m. @ Wine Gourmet
- Robotic Jive (featuring our own Media Geek, Dave McDonald) @ Blues BBQ, April 13
- Earth Day Hike, noon- 1 p.m. @ Mill Mtn Discovery Center, email@example.com
- Blue Ridge Bike Fest 2012, 1-9 p.m. @ Roanoke Civic Center , www.blueridgebikefest.com
- Art By Night, 5-9 p.m. @ Downtown Roanoke, http://bit.ly/HGFJmx
- Salem Red Sox vs. Myrtle Beach Pelicans , 7:05 pm @ Lewis Gale Field Virginia Western students, faculty and staff receive $1 off tickets with Virginia Western ID.
Saturday, April 14th
- Met Opera Live in HD, La Traviata, 1 – 4 p.m. @ Whitman Theater, Virginia Western Community College - http://www.virginiawestern.edu/community/metopera.php
- Physicians on Foot, 8:30 a.m. @ Tanglewood Mall - www.carilionclinic.org/walking
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting, noon – 5 p.m. @ Wine Gourmet
- Salem Red Sox, FREE ADMISSION to Virginia Western students, faculty and staff with current ID, 6 p.m., Dr. Sandel will throw out the first pitch.
- Get to know your camera: Toy Camera Workshop, 10 a.m. – noon @ O Winston Link Museum http://bit.ly/HC4vIN
- Blue Ridge Bike Fest 2012, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. @ Roanoke Civic Center www.blueridgebikefest.com
- City Market Saturdays 11 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. @ Downtown Roanoke www.downtownroanoke.org
- Lambs n’ Clams Tour 1-10 p.m. @ Lucky Restaurant http://bit.ly/H7hQtJ
- Taubman Cinema 7- 9 p.m. @ Taubman Museum A screening of "The Adventures of Prince Achmed," www.taubmanmuseum.org
Sunday, April 15th
- Blue Ridge Bike Fest 2012 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. @ Roanoke Civic Center
- Salem Red Sox vs. Myrtle Beach Pelicans 6:05 p.m. @ Lewis Gale Field
- Beginner Salsa Boot Camp 7 – 8 p.m. 4/16, @ Blue 5 http://www.facebook.com/events/137390769716994/
- Monday Fun-Day! 6 p.m. 4/16, @ Salem Red Sox baseball game http://on.fb.me/IdeWTZ
- Salem Red Sox vs. Lynchburg Hillcats 7:05 p.m. 4/16 @ Lewis Gale Field
- West End Community Market 3- 6 p.m. 4/17 @ West End Center for Youth - 1210 Patterson Ave SW
- Salem Red Sox vs. Lynchburg Hillcats 7:05 p.m. 4/17 @ Lewis Gale Field
- Cash Mob Roanoke #2, 4/18, http://on.fb.me/w279hS
- Robotic Jive (still featuring our own Media Geek, Dave McDonald) @ Village Grill April 20
- Bellacinos Pizza & Grinders, Starkey Road, (4/23) all day, 10% of proceeds go to Destination Imagination teams from Oak Grove Elementary and Hidden Valley Middle School – they are heading to Global Finals in Knoxville, TN!!
- Community Yard Sale at Georgetown Park (off Colonial Avenue) (4/28)
- Colonial Presbyterian Church Yard & Bake Sale, 4/28, 8 a.m. – 2p.m. all proceeds go to mission and outreach projects. 3550 Poplar Drive, off Colonial Avenue, between Ogden Road and Rt. 419.
- Super Hold (also featuring Dave) will be at First Fridays (5/4) 6 p.m.
Do you have a church bazaar, yard sale, or item for sale? Submit COMMUNITY NEWS items to firstname.lastname@example.org
HOT TOPIC - Study to the Test Questions
WHEN: Wednesday, April 18, 1 p.m.
WHERE: Webber Hall, room 307
FACILITATOR: Edna Whittier
This session encourages students to become “test confident.” Confident test takers are prepared because they study “to the test questions.” Techniques include: creating and following a study schedule for effective recall, dealing with test distractions, time limits and test anxiety, preparing study notes that match your learning style, finding a clearer understanding of what to expect on an exam, recognizing course material as either background or test material. The session includes a handout of test taking tips for different kinds of tests.
Ms. Desiree Frye
Virginia Western Community College
TIP #5 - You can get research help 24/7 through LRC Live Reference Service:
LRC Live is a great service for online research and search strategy assistance. This service enables you and a library reference staff member to chat online and share online content in real-time, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week! So, if you wake up in the middle of the night and need to chat with a librarian (it could happen), someone will be available to assist you. Read more about LRC Live: http://virginiawestern.edu/library/askalibrarian/index.php
It's National Library Week! Brown Library has a few things cooked up in order to celebrate.
- Six Word Memoirs: Write your life in six words, and be eligible to win a “Writer’s Gift Basket!” Examples can be found here: Six-Word Memoirs: Life Stories Distilled on NPR. Enter to win online, or pick up a paper entry form in the library (one student and one faculty/staff winner).
- Library Find-a-Word, main floor
- Special Displays on the Writing Life, top floor
- Library Tip of the Day, direct to you by email!
We’ll also have a table at Spring Fling on Friday, April 20th, where you’ll be able to create your own Newspaper Poems as well!
FINANCIAL AID FRIDAYS! - Need help completing the FAFSA? Staff from the Office of Financial Aid and Veterans’ Affairs will be available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, April 13 and Friday, April 20 in Webber 311 to help students complete the online financial aid application. If you have not completed a FAFSA for the upcoming 2012-13 academic year, one of these Fridays would be a great day to do it.