Lunch Leads for April will be of interest to students in the Human Services field. It will be held noon to 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 19 in the Natural Science Center. FREE lunch is provided. If you are interested in a job in Human Services or with a company in this field, you will want to come and find out all you can about employment opportunities. Be sure to register in the Hall Career Center, S202. Space is limited. This event does qualify for a Hall Career Center passport stamp.
April 10, 2012
Are you interested in developing your leadership skills, serving Virginia Western, meeting new people, and receiving a $1,000 scholarship?
Apply to be a 2012-2013 Ambassador!
Ambassadors provide a minimum of 25 hours per semester of campus service by giving group tours and staffing special events. Ambassadors also staff the Discover program (new student orientation) over the summer, and attend a student leadership conference in the fall.
Being an Ambassador is a fun and rewarding way to serve Virginia Western and get a scholarship at the same time!
Email email@example.com to obtain an application and learn more. Application deadline is April 27.
Join the Media Geeks TODAY and every Tuesday to watch a selected Ted Talk (www.ted.com) in Brown Library, 12:15 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Today's TED Talk: Chip Kidd: Designing books is no laughing matter. OK, it is.
Chip Kidd doesn’t judge books by their cover, he creates covers that embody the book -- and he does it with a wicked sense of humor.
Post submitted by Media Geeks
In order to assist students in class selection and program requirements; faculty and academic advisors will be available on Friday, April 13 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the following computer labs.
Accounting, Administrative Management Technology, Culinary Arts, Engineering, Engineering Technology, Records Coding, Information Systems Technology, Management, Technical Studies and Welding students should go to Business Science room 268.
Math, Science and Health Technology students should go to Business Science room 320.
Liberal Arts, Social Sciences, General Studies, Early Childhood Development, Human Services and Wellness students should go to Business Science room 306.
The Advising/Retention Office will be closed on Friday, April 13 however they will be available in the labs listed above to assist students. If you have questions about which room you need to go, the front desk in Chapman Hall has a reference list and will be glad to assist.
- You’ll never guess what the Denver Zoo is using to power cars: http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/will_poop_power_electric_cars_sure_will_at_denver_zoo
- How to change cover photos on your Pinterest board: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46980523/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/
Submit Technology News items to firstname.lastname@example.org
Like our campus activities at Virginia Western? Don't like our campus activities? We want to know!! If you aren't participating in campus activities, let us know why!
Please take a minute to fill out this very quick, anonymous survey to give your opinions about campus activities. Also, please let us know about any ideas you have for events and activities in future semesters!
Click here to get started:
Since most grant programs (except the Pell Grant) have limited funding, the date of application is a critical factor. An application can be submitted as early as January 1 (e.g., January 1, 2012, for the 2012-2013 academic year). Primary consideration is given to those students whose applications are received and processed by the below dates.
- Summer 2012 - All paperwork is due by April 23rd (must complete 2011-2012 FAFSA)
- Fall 2012 - All paperwork is due by June 22nd (must complete 2012-2013 FAFSA)
Please submit your financial aid application materials as early as possible. Students who have submitted all material required by the Financial Aid Office by the priority date will have their financial aid packaged by the tuition deadline.
Material received after the deadline will be processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. However, even if you are able to receive support, it likely will be provided on a retroactive basis after you already have enrolled in and paid for your courses.
Financial Aid information will be sent via your Virginia Western email account. Please check your email daily. You can also track your aid package through your MYVWCC account. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 857-7331.
TIP #2 - You can access the library’s databases from home:
Our library databases contain thousands of newspaper, magazine, and journal articles (Information that you can trust!). You can access this information while using a computer in the library or in another location on campus. You can also access this information from home by entering your user name and password --- the same user name and password that you use for My VWCC. Check out the databases that are available to you: http://virginiawestern.edu/library/databases.php
It's National Library Week! Brown Library has a few things cooked up in order to celebrate.
- Six Word Memoirs: Write your life in six words, and be eligible to win a “Writer’s Gift Basket!” Examples can be found here: Six-Word Memoirs: Life Stories Distilled on NPR. Enter to win online, or pick up a paper entry form in the library (one student and one faculty/staff winner).
- Library Find-a-Word, main floor
- Special Displays on the Writing Life, top floor
- Library Tip of the Day, direct to you by email!
We’ll also have a table at Spring Fling on Friday, April 20th, where you’ll be able to create your own Newspaper Poems as well!
The Hall Associates Career and Employment Assistance Center is located on the second floor of the Student Center. Contact by phone at 857-7298 or email email@example.com. Check out all of the ways they are trying to help you find the right career!
- Lunch Leads are monthly networking events for students.
- April – Human Services Students will have an opportunity to meet with employers in their career field and ask questions. Lunch is FREE!
- April 19, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Natural Science Center
- Registration is required.
- Career Bytes Seminars are 30-minute informational seminars on Resume Writing, Job Searching, and Interviewing Skills. Student Center room 202, noon and 5:15 p.m.
- April 17, Resume Writing
- Job Bank – The Hall Career Center has a Job Bank for employers to post full-time and part-time jobs.
- Virginia Employment Commission –Learn how to use the VEC website and search for career information, training opportunities, skill requirements, labor market information and occupational trends.
- April 26, 1-3 p.m.
- Webber Hall room 306
- Registration is required