Today is the last day to withdraw from classes without a grade penalty. Financial Aid students are strongly encouraged to contact the Financial Aid office prior to withdrawing from a class. The difference between an "F" and "W" can affect future Financial Aid awards.
March 22, 2012
- World Water Day Awareness Table - TODAY, 3rd floor of Webber Hall, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Basketball Open Gyms - Friday, March 23, 3:30-4:45 - Women and 4:45-6:30 - Men
- The Psychology Club will be hosting Diana Ridgewell in the Natural Science Center on March 27 at 4 p.m. to talk about “Hand-on Minds-on”: Multidisciplinary Approaches to Understanding and Prevent Societal Violence. See more about this program:
- “Hands-on Minds-on”: Multidisciplinary Approaches to Understanding and Preventing Societal Violence
In summer 2012, Virginia Tech will offer a unique interdisciplinary NSF funded REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program specifically designed for students from Virginia community colleges and 4 year institutions around the country. The program brings scholars together from the colleges of Engineering, Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, and Science to study the topic of societal violence. Students will be paid $4,500 stipend, travel and free housing (with 3 meals per day included!) on our campus for 10 weeks from May 21 to July 27.
The application deadline is March 30. *This program is pending official notification from the funding agency. http://www.uri.clahs.vt.edu/funding.html and click on NSF REU. Students will be paid and will get to live on VT campus, all-expense paid for 10 weeks.
- Make An Ice Cream Sundae! Wednesday, March 28, noon to 2 p.m., Student Center, Free!
- Showdown on the Courts Tennis Tournament April 14th @ Virginia Western Tennis Courts
- Men's and Women's Competitive Singles
- Men's and Women's Novice Doubles (Simple and easy rules for beginners)
- $10 to Sign up, $20 for Doubles teams
- Breakfast will be provided for participants
- $50 Gift cards to Competitive Champions
- 2 - $20 Gift cards to Novice Champions
Spots are limited so sign up in Student Activities Office (S204) Today!!!!!
- SPRING FLING! April 20th, Court of Four Seasons, Art Show, Vendors, Food, Music & More!
HALL ASSOCIATES CAREER & EMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE CENTER (Student Center, room 202)
- Career Focus Dinners next programs will be:
- Criminal Justice - Western Virginia Regional Jail, March 29, 5-7 p.m. – register by March 22
- Marketing - UnitedHealthCare, April 4, 5-7 p.m. – register by March 28
- Goodwill Donation Drive, ends tomorrow!
- Career Premiere Job Fair will be held on Wednesday, March 28, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m., at the Salem Civic Center. This is a great networking opportunity and the chance for students to get a job with the company of their dreams. Students should bring copies of their resume and dress for on-the-spot interviews. Pre-registration is required at the Hall Career Center, Student Center, room 202. This job fair is not open to the public. For more information and to view employers attending, students may go to www.careerpremierefair.com.
- Have you checked out the Job Bank? Employers post full-time and part-time opportunities for students and alumni. Register today at https://www.virginiawestern.edu/career_center and register under student or alumni.
- Resume Review every Monday between 11 a.m. and noon to have your resume reviewed. Tips on building a great resume are available in the Career Center or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Virginia Employment Commission Workshop, April 26, 1 – 3 p.m. in Webber Hall room 306. Mr. Gary Sheffler will teach you how to navigate the VEC website, apply for state and local jobs and utilize the system more effectively. Pre-registration is required. Contact the Career Center or go to www.VaWorkConnect.com.
Commencement Ceremony Name Pronouncement - Call 857-6699 to let us know how to pronounce your name.
Graduation Video Shoots - April 20th at Spring Fling, April 25th at Cap & Gown Pick-Up and an evening day/time to be announced.
Cap & Gown Pick-Up - April 25th, Natural Science Center, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Graduation Fees - The $15.00 graduation application fee must be paid prior to Cap & Gown Pick-Up (at the Cashier's Office located in Chapman Hall) and the receipt brought to the Records Office in Chapman Hall (Room C107).
There will be an outage of the Student Information System (SIS), the college on-line application, and the Human Resource Management System (HRMS) systems from Friday, March 23 at 6 a.m. through Monday, March 26 at 7 a.m. The Virginia Community College System (VCCS) will be upgrading these systems during this time period. During this time, students will not be able to apply on-line to the college or access the VCCS SIS: Student Information System. Students wanting to apply or needing to add or drop a class will need to come in person to the Admissions Office located in Chapman Hall. Blackboard, My VWCC, Gmail, and the Wizard will continue to be available. We appreciate your cooperation and patience during this scheduled outage.