“HOT TOPIC” SESSION
CAREER PREMIERE 2012 – ARE YOU READY?
- WHEN: Wednesday, March 21; 1:00 p.m.
- WHERE: Webber Hall 307
- FACILIATOR: Ms. Rhonda Perdue
This session will help you prepare for the upcoming career fair on Wednesday, March 28. Career readiness discussion topics will include: resume writing, dressing for success, meeting and greeting employers, selling yourself, interviews, and follow-up protocol. You don’t want to miss this session.
Ms. Desiree Frye
Virginia Western Community College
Cirque Du Soleil's Quidam traveling show is coming to Roanoke Civic Center from March 28th to April 1st. In preparation for the shows they will be stopping on campus on Tuesday, March 20th, noon to 3 p.m. for a promotional tour. Stop by their bus, you won't be able to miss it, in parking lot 7!
At each tour stop temporary canopies, video monitors and flags/ signage will be set up in front of the bus. Fans will take part in many interactive activities including:
- Watch Quidam sizzle reels and behind the scenes videos
- Souvenir photos with a Quidam theme using green screen technology
- Opportunity to win Quidam show tickets and prizes
- Receive Quidam branded popcorn bags and postcards
All fans are welcome to experience the tour and all activities are free to the public.
There will be an outage of the Student Information System (SIS), the college on-line application, and the Human Resource Management System (HRMS) systems from Friday, March 23 at 6 a.m. through Monday, March 26 at 7 a.m. The Virginia Community College System (VCCS) will be upgrading these systems during this time period. During this time, students will not be able to apply on-line to the college or access the VCCS SIS: Student Information System. Students wanting to apply or needing to add or drop a class will need to come in person to the Admissions Office located in Chapman Hall. Blackboard, My VWCC, Gmail, and the Wizard will continue to be available. We appreciate your cooperation and patience during this scheduled outage.
How comfortable will you be during your first interview out of college? Do you know how to present yourself in the most professional way?
Attend the Alumni Meet and Mingle on Tuesday, April 3 from 4:30-6:30 p.m. in the Natural Science Center. You’ll get the chance to meet and mingle with Virginia Western alumni. You’ll gain first-person experience networking with business professionals who came from where you are, and have found success in their field. Also, the presentation on “Your Professional Self” will teach you how to utilize the Hall Associates Career and Employment Assistance Center to find and apply for jobs, how to interview, and how to network in a business setting.
Knowing how to network and present yourself is important to your future success. REGISTER TODAY in the Hall Associates Career Center and take advantage of this opportunity to practice these important skills.
For more information, contact Ruth Ebrahim at 857-6962 or email@example.com
Friday, March 16
- Free Weekly Beer Tasting, 5 – 8 p.m. @ Wine Gourmet
- Ladies Night, 6 – 9 p.m. @ Glazed Bisque - It http://www.glazedbisque-it.com
- Exploring the Night, 6:30 – 9 p.m. @ Icimani Adventure Center, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Family Movie Night, 6:30 – 10 p.m. @ Attimo Winery, Film of the night: Forrest Gump (PG-13). www.attimowinery.com
- Vertical Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Tasting, 7 – 8:30 p.m. @ Hickory Hill www.smlwine.com
Saturday, March 17 Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
- Roanoke Valley’s Seventh Annual Scrabble Tourney (Thurs March 22) @ Jefferson Center. Put together a team of 3 and let’s play! $100 per team which includes a light meal. For more info – www.blueridgeliteracy.org
- Take a short survey about Virginia Western Community College and be entered to win a $1,000 scholarship. Go to http://collegeprowler.com/, find Virginia Western Community College, take the survey and give the real scoop on what it’s like to be a Virginia Western student. This survey is not college-sponsored.
Do you have a church bazaar, yard sale, or item for sale? Submit COMMUNITY NEWS items to email@example.com
CLOSING GAPS IN CARE: MEETING THE NEEDS OF THE UNDERSERVED IN ROANOKE, VIRGINIA
ROANOKE COMMUNITY HEALTH NEEDS ASSESSMENT
Carilion Clinic has been awarded a 12-month Health Center Planning Grant by the US Department of Health and Human Services to examine the current system of care for the most vulnerable residents living in Roanoke; develop solutions to close the gaps in unmet need; and strengthen the existing safety net.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Carilion wants to create a healthier community for all who live, work and play here.
What do you do when …
· You are sick?
· You need a check-up?
· You have a toothache?
· You need to talk to a counselor?
Take a brief survey and tell us about the health and quality of life for yourself and encourage your clients, family and friends to take the survey as well. Spread the word about this important survey and find the link at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RoanokeValleyHealthSurvey
Deadline March 31, 2012. ALL INFORMATION WILL BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL.