HOTTOPIC” SESSION - SOCIAL MEDIAT AT BROWN LIBRARY
WHEN: Wednesday, April 4; 1:00 p.m.
WHERE: Webber Hall 307
FACILIATOR: Ms. Kalyca Schultz
Come to this session to find out about Brown Library’s blog, “In the Stacks,” the library’s Facebook page, and more!
Ms. Desiree Frye
Virginia Western Community College
Virginia Western Adjunct Faculty to Perform in Franklin County
One of our own adjunct professors, Dave Campbell, will playing with two-time Grammy winner Jim Lauderdale next Friday night, April 6, at Franklin County High School. The event will feature 2010 Bluegrass Album of the Year winner Lauderdale along with Top-10 Americana Charts artist Scott Miller, as well as Campbell. The concert is a benefit for the student group SKillsUSA. Tickets are $15 in advance or at the door. VIP tickets are $40 and include artist meet and greet, BBQ buffet dinner, and 30-minute early entrance to the show. Tickets are available in Rocky Mount at Hall's Music, Radio Shack, Quiznos, and Misty Mountain Wares. Tickets can be reserved by calling 540-871-3024. Don't miss this chance to see not only a two-time Grammy winner in a very intimate setting, but also one of our own Virginia Western faculty. The event begins at 7 p.m.
Friday, March 30TH, 2012
Saturday, March 31st, 2012
- Spectacular Saturdays at the Taubman@ Taubman Museum www.taubmanmuseum.org
- Physicians on Foot, 8:30 a.m. @ Tanglewood Mall www.carilionclinic.org/walking
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting, noon-5 p.m. @ Wine Gourmet
- Greater Tuna, 2-4 p.m., 7:30-9:30 p.m. @ Mill Mountain Theatre
Do you have a church bazaar, yard sale, or item for sale? Submit COMMUNITY NEWS items to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING GAPS IN CARE: MEETING THE NEEDS OF THE UNDERSERVED IN ROANOKE, VIRGINIA
ROANOKE COMMUNITY HEALTH NEEDS ASSESSMENT
Carilion Clinic has been awarded a 12-month Health Center Planning Grant by the US Department of Health and Human Services to examine the current system of care for the most vulnerable residents living in Roanoke; develop solutions to close the gaps in unmet need; and strengthen the existing safety net.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Carilion wants to create a healthier community for all who live, work and play here.
What do you do when …
· You are sick?
· You need a check-up?
· You have a toothache?
· You need to talk to a counselor?
Take a brief survey and tell us about the health and quality of life for yourself and encourage your clients, family and friends to take the survey as well. Spread the word about this important survey and find the link at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RoanokeValleyHealthSurvey
Deadline March 31, 2012. ALL INFORMATION WILL BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL.
The Exercise Science students have started a new program called 10,000 steps. This program will improve your health one step at a time. Your physical activity will greatly increase when you walk more than 10,000 steps daily, which is equivalent to approximately 5 miles of walking per day.
- Burn between 250 - 600 calories a day just by walking.
- We will offer a campus map with an optional outlined course.
- Registration will take place in the fitness center and begins April 3 thru April 6, 2012. Stop in during open hours and pick up a registration packet.
- The program will begin on April 9, 2012, and end on April 27, 2012.
- There will be a designated check – in, check –out site to log your steps.
- Pedometers required
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Karen Carpenter at email@example.com
- Women's Open Gym - 3:30-4:45
- Men's Open Gym - 4:45-6
Showdown on the Courts Tennis Tournament April 14th @ Virginia Western Tennis Courts
- Men's and Women's Competitive Singles
- Men's and Women's Novice Doubles (Simple and easy rules for beginners)
- $10 to Signup, $20 for Doubles teams
- Breakfast will be provided for participants
- $50 Gift cards to Competitive Champions
- 2 - $20 Gift cards to Novice Champions
Spots are limited so sign up in Student Activities Office (S204) Today!!!!!
Spring Fling, April 20th, Court of Four Seasons - don't miss it!
- Graduation Fee Reminder -If you are a spring or summer graduation applicant and have not paid your $15.00 graduation fee, please do so as soon as possible in the Cashier’s Office, located in Chapman Hall. After you have paid the fee, please bring your receipt to the Records Office.
- Graduation Video – The next shoot will be held April 20th during Spring Fling and April 25th during Cap & Gown Pick-Up. Please email Publicrelations@virginiawestern.edu to sign up or with questions.
- Cap and Gown Pick Up - April 25th, Natural Science Center
- Commencement Name Pronouncement - Call 857-6699 to make sure your name is pronounced correctly during the commencement ceremony.
Attention Graduating Students!!! We need your help! As a graduation candidate, you are in a uniquely important position take to take an online test of information literacy that will help assess the quality of teaching and learning at Virginia Western. This is not a test that you need to study or prepare for in advance. Those who participate by Saturday, April 7 will be entered in a drawing for $25 gas cards. TEN gas cards will be awarded.
This will take about an hour of your time, and to minimize the burden of this graduation requirement, we have arranged for you to do this at your convenience in the Learning Technology Center (LTC) on the ground floor of Brown Library, during their normal operating hours:
- Monday-Thursday from 8a.m. to 7p.m.
- Friday from 8a.m. to 4p.m.
- Saturday from 9a.m. to Noon
If you have any questions, please contact the LTC at 857-7250. When you arrive at the LTC, explain that you are there to take the VCCS Core Competency Test and bring a PHOTO ID and your Virginia Western email address. We ask that you please complete the test at your earliest convenience and no later than Saturday, April 7.
Spring has arrived and it is once again time for the Perennial Sale at the Virginia Western Greenhouse. A great selection of perennials are ready for planting in your garden. Some of the plant varieties available include: Columbine, Astilbe, Blanket Flower, Coral Bells, Phlox and Salvia.
2012 Perennial Sale
Saturday, March 31
9 - 11 a.m.
"Essential Perennials" in 4.5" pots are $4.00 each
"Hot Picks Perennials" in 4.5" and 1/2 gallon pots are $6.00 each
Thank you for supporting the Virginia Western Horticulture Club and the Community Arboretum.
Hope to see you at the sale!
Save the Date: 2012 Spring Plant Sale April 25, 26, 27 ,28 from 9 to 11 a.m.
How comfortable will you be during your first interview out of college? Do you know how to present yourself in the most professional way?
Attend the Alumni Meet and Mingle on Tuesday, April 3 from 4:30-6:30 p.m. in the Natural Science Center. You’ll get the chance to meet and mingle with Virginia Western alumni. You’ll gain first person experience networking with business professionals who came from where you are, and have found success in their field. Also, the presentation on “Your Professional Self” will teach you how to utilize the Hall Associates Career Center to find and apply for jobs, how to interview, and how to network in a business setting.
Knowing how to network and present yourself is important to your future success. REGISTER TODAY in the Hall Associates Career Center and take advantage of this opportunity to practice these important skills.
For more information, contact Ruth Ebrahim at 857-6962 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Virginia Western Community College Night with the Salem Red Sox
Salem Red Sox vs. Myrtle Beach Pelicans on Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 6 p.m. *Free entry to anyone (faculty, staff, students) with a valid Virginia Western ID. Dr. Sandel will throw out the first pitch!
Salem Red Sox vs. Carolina Mudcats on Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 4 p.m. *Free entry to anyone (faculty, staff, students) with a valid Virginia Western ID
Teacher Appreciation Night presented by Virginia Western Community College
Salem Red Sox vs. Myrtle Beach Pelicans, Friday, June 1, 2012, 7 p.m. *Free entry to area elementary and secondary school teachers
Season-long Virginia Western Community College special
$1 off single-game tickets purchased at walk-up for anyone (faculty, staff, students) with a valid Virginia Western ID
We want to make sure we make every attempt to pronounce your name correctly at commencement. Call 857-6699 to let us know how to pronounce your name.