The Biology Club will meet on Monday, February 20 at 2 p.m. in room 332 of Anderson Hall. Anyone who is interested is invited to attend and be involved. Please contact Amanda Anderson email@example.com for additional information.
February 17, 2012
Friday, February 17
- Black Student Leadership Conference; contact Cheryl Hilton for more information.
- The Marginal Arts Festival (All Day) @ All over Roanoke For more info - http://www.marginalarts.com/
- SheVaCon (All Day) @ Hotel Roanoke. The largest Multi-Media Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror convention in Southwestern Virginia. For more info – www.shevacon.org
- Free Weekly Beer Tasting (5pm – 8pm) @ Wine Gourmet
- Cheers for Charities (5:30pm – 7:30pm) @ The Quarter - Come out and start of the weekend by having a few drinks and contributing to charities. For more info - www.facebook.com/CheersforCharities
- Cabin Fever Concert Series (6pm – 10pm) @ Roanoke Civic Center For more info – http://www.cabinfeverseries.org/
- Ladies Night (6pm – 9pm) @ Glazed Bisque – It, Ladies get out and paint some pottery! For more information please visit - http://www.glazedbisque-it.com/
- Fabulous Friday in February (7pm – 8pm) @ Hickory Hill, Explore wine and chocolate with wine-maker Wendy Furrow-Scott of Hickory Hill Vineyards. For more info ‐ www.smlwine.com
Saturday, February 18
- Physicians on Foot (8:30am) @ Tanglewood Mall, Numerous Carilion Clinic physicians are lacing up their walking shoes alongside the public in the "Physicians on Foot" weekly walking program. For info - www.carilionclinic.org/walking
- Maple Tapping (10am and 1:30pm) @ Mill Mountain Discovery Center, Come and learn how to identify maple trees and take part in the age-old tradition of tapping trees and collecting sap. For more info - http://tinyurl.com/73adp6s
- Free Weekly Wine Tasting (12pm – 5pm) @ Wine Gourmet – Corner of Colonial and Electric.
- Winter Whites & Red Hearts (11am – 5pm) @ Hickory Hil, For more info ‐ www.smlwine.com
- Star City Comedy Club (8pm – 10pm) @ Corned Beef and Co., Performances by Bubba Bradley and Ian Gutoskie. For more info - http://starcitycomedyclub.com/
- Virginia Western Men’s Basketball home versus Southside Community College, 2 p.m.
Sunday, February 19
- Virginia Western Men’s Basketball home versus Hargrave Military Academy at 3 p.m.
- 58: The Film. A call for pastors, youth leaders and anyone who cares about helping those in extreme global poverty. Church of the Holy Spirit, 5 p.m. Contact Kim Motley, 342-3122 or Church of the Holy Spirit at 772-4915.
The Life Planning Seminar for Women is a seven-week noncredit course beginning March 13, for women who are interested in learning ways to assess their current strengths and abilities, identify and evaluate career and educational options, develop personal short-term and long-term goals, and create effective strategies for positive change in their lives. For more information click:
Submit COMMUNITY NEWS items to firstname.lastname@example.org
Soup for Seniors, February 20-24, donate cans of soup for Soup for Seniors. Virginia Western Do-Gooders is collecting cans of soup for the League of Older Americans to distribute to local senior citizens. Drop off soup in any division office, Brown Library, Fishburn Hall, 1st floor, or the Student Center. Let’s collect 2,000 cans of soup!
“HOT TOPIC” SESSION
Organizing Your Study System (with Style)
- When: Wednesday, February 22; 1:00 p.m.
Where: Webber Hall 307
- Facilitator: Ms. Edna Whittier
This session will provide helpful tips for efficient, effective study time. It will include finding your motivation for studying, organizing your course materials, using your learning style, and setting up an appropriate workplace, setting and following a study schedule and getting more out of your textbooks. A handout on tips for studying with and around children will be provided.
Ms. Desiree Frye
Virginia Western Community College