Please join the Virginia Manufacturers Association and sponsor Optical Cable Corporation for a Roanoke Regional Manufacturing Town Hall meeting on Tuesday, June 16, from 9:30 a.m.-Noon at Virginia Western Community College. The event is free and open to the public, and will be held in the ground floor of Fishburn Hall in the HR Training Room. Parking is available in Lot 7 (campus map and directions). See the agenda below.
9:30 AM – 10 AM
Networking & Light Refreshments
10 AM – 10:15 AM
Welcome and Introductions
10:15 AM – 10:30 AM
VMA Legislative Scorecard and 2015 General Assembly Wrap-Up Report - Brett Vassey, President & CEO
10:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Roundtable with Manufacturers
- International Trade Development – How do we grow manufactured exports 50% by 2020? What resources are available to SMEs for international market development? Export financing? Export insurance? Are traditional economic development strategies working for existing businesses?
- Technology – Do Virginia’s tax policies punish industry for capital investment? How can companies use cybersecurity resources to harden systems and protect business continuity?
- Regulation and Labor – Is Federal Government regulation out of control?
11:30 AM – Noon
- Workforce Priorities Workshop – Industry-recognized Skills Credentials and the role of the Community Colleges, Private Schools and K-12 CTE & STEM Education. Resources for students and employers.
- Manufacturing Skills Institute & Dream It Do It Virginia: Closing the Workforce Skills Gap by 2020 and Inspiring Future Workers & Finding Funding - Katherine DeRosear and Vanessa Rastberger, Manufacturing Skills Institute
- Success Stories Within the Community College System – Dan Horine, Virginia Western Community College
Closing Comments – John Dyer, Optical Cable Corporation
Virginia Western Community College – Mechatronics Lab Tour (OPTION)
11:30AM – 12:00PM