Brown Library has copies of the following style guides available at the reference desk on the main floor. These books do not check out. Please ask about style guides not listed here.
- The Little, Brown Compact Handbook with Exercises - 7th ed., 2009
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers - 7th ed., 2009
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association - 6th ed., 2010
Free Citation Builders
Warning. If you do not understand the elements of a citation, do not use citation builders. You may create citations that are incorrect and, worse,
untraceable for you and your professor. Always check the citation created by a citation builder to be sure it is correct.
- Word 2010 – Under References on the toolbar, you can build bibliographies, do in-text citations, and create footnotes. Word 2010 is loaded onto all public computers at Virginia Western Community College.
- Bibme – Fully automatic bibliography maker. Styles available are MLA, APA, Chicago, and Turabian.
- Citation Builder – by North Carolina State University Libraries. Available styles are MLA and APA.
- EasyBib – MLA style available free; others for a fee.
- Son of Citation Machine – Creates each citation separately, which must then be copied and pasted into your paper. Styles available are MLA, APA, Chicago, and Turabian.
- Zotero – Can be used as a Firefox or Word/Open Office plug-in, or in its standalone version. Helps you collect, organize, cite, and share your reference sources. More than 1750 styles available, including MLA, APA, Chicago, and Turabian.
Websites for Style
- APA & MLA Style - by Purdue University's Online Writing Lab (OWL). Explains how to write a research paper in both APA and MLA formats. Shows how to format the paper, how to cite sources within the text, and how to do the works cited page. Sample papers are given.
- APA Style - by the American Psychological Association (APA). Click on "FAQ's, Style Tips, or Electronic References."
- APA, MLA, Chicago & CBE Style Sponsored by Bedford St. Martin's. Covers finding and documenting sources. Provides sample papers.
WebSites for Writing
- VWCC English Department
- OWL at Perdue - Writing about poetry & literature, writing descriptions, writing the thesis statement and writing persuasively. How to plan, organize and edit the paper.
- Stone Writing Center at Del Mar College - Handouts for grammer, composition, literature, and business writing. Under composition find handouts for writing the persuasive essay, cause/effect essay, description essay, and more.