eBooks & Audiobooks
- EBSCO eBooks - eBooks you can read online or download to your mobile device.
- Overdrive Audiobooks & Digital Media - Download an audiobook from OverDrive, transfer it into your SmartPhone, MP3 player, PDA, or burn it to CD, for free! This new library service allows anyone with a MyVCCS login to download digital audiobooks. Check out up to 4 titles, which automatically expire after a certain period of time, so there are no late fees. Select titles can be burned to CD for personal use, and will not expire. There are currently 735 audiobook titles, 159 video titles, and 26 music titles. User Guide (pdf). Online Tutorial.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - Electronic encyclopedias on topics such as medicine, criminal justice, and mental health. Popular titles include The Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine, The Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Health, and the Encyclopedia of Crime and Justice.
- Oxford Reference Online - A wealth of facts, figures, definitions, and translations from 175+ Oxford reference titles, many of which are in-depth, scholarly articles from titles in the acclaimed Oxford Companions series, plus all 20,000 quotations from the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations.
- PsycBOOKS - Full-text books published by APA, classic pychology books from the 19th and 20th centuries, and entries from the Encyclopedia of Psychology.
General Encyclopedias: Online
- The Columbia Encyclopedia - This is a link to Bartleby.com, a reference site to several electronic texts. Some reference works included are: Columbia Gazetteer, American Heritage Dictionary, Gray's Anatomy and Roget's Thesaurus. In addition to reference books, this site also covers works of fiction and poetry. For example, you can find works by William Shakespeare, Virginia Woolf and Robert Frost. Too many great books to list!
- Books at OVID - 15 different online medical reference titles including 2009 Lippincott's Nursing Drug Guide, Lippincott's Manual of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests and Lippincott's Professional Guide to Signs and Symptoms.
Science & Technology
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics - Includes tables for critical constants, heats of evaporation, aqueous solubility of organic compounds, vapor pressure of mercury, scientific abbreviations and symbols, bond dissociation energies and many more.
- ENGnetBASE - Includes full-text of 500 handbooks and reference titles published by CRC Press. Includes databases for civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and telecommunications.
- IEEE Xplore - Indexes IEEE and IET journals, transactions, letters, magazines, conference proceedings, and standards. Also indexes books published by IEEE Press and IEEE Computer Society Press. Limit your search to "subscribed content" to see what's available in full-text.
- Safari Books Online - eBooks for programmers and IT professionals. Topic categories include computer science, graphics, multimedia, networking, and operating systems. Publishers include Cisco, Course Technology, Microsoft, Sams, and Que.
Subject Encyclopedias: Online
Here is a selected list of subject encyclopedias online.