MOAT & FERPA Training Information
MOAT Security Awareness Training
Virginia Western Community College has implemented a security awareness training program in order to comply with SEC501-01, a Commonwealth of Virginia Information Technology Security Management Standard. This is supplied by Managed Ongoing Awareness Tools (MOAT). MOAT provides a secure online resource to ensure awareness and accountability.
As part of Virginia Western's ongoing security efforts, you are required to complete security awareness training within 30 days of hire at VWCC or 30 days of receiving the annual MOAT e-mail notification. Follow the detailed steps below and complete your MOAT security awareness training as soon as possible.
The time required to complete this training is approximately 1-2 hours, though many finish in less time. MOAT is easy and intuitive and you can login from anywhere you have Internet access.
How to Access MOAT Security Awareness Training
- Go to the login page : https://va.moatusers.com
- Enter your Login ID and password
Your Login ID is: Your VWCC E-mail address
If you do not remember your password, please go to the login page and you will find the Request New Password link. Click on the link and enter your email address and a new one-time password will be sent to you. This password can only be used one time so you will need to follow instructions during the login to select a personal password for future access to the Security Awareness Training.
Please Note: MOAT can only be accessed using Internet Explorer or Safari.
If you have any questions, please contact the Virginia Western Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-857-7354.
Accessing and Completing FERPA Knowledge Center Training
- Login to the VWCC Knowledge Center: https://covkc.virginia.gov/vwcc/
- Go to Learning Center >> Course Catalog
- Enter Keywords in the title of the course you would like to take: For example, FERPA in the Search Text box. Click Search.
- The following course will appear: VWCC FERPA Tutorial for Faculty and Staff. Click on the course link.
- Click on Access Item or Open New Attempt.
- Click on Training Module 1.
- After you complete Module 1, please complete the training confirmation, in some cases referred to as Module 2. It only takes one second to complete the training confirmation/Module 2.