Director of Financial Aid, Veteran's Affairs & Records
Position Number: FA090
Reports to: Dean of Student Services (FA099)
The Director of Financial Aid and Records is responsible for the professional and strategic direction of the institution’s comprehensive programs of student financial aid, veterans’ affairs and records office. General direction is provided to each functional area. In collaboration with the Dean of Student Services, develops strategic plans, budgets, operational goals and assessments of program effectiveness. Serves as a member of the Student Services management team reporting directly to the Dean of Student Services. Serves as a member of CODD (Council of Deans and Directors) and may represent the college at system-wide meetings.
Directs day-to-day operations within the Financial Aid Office and the Office of Veterans’ Affairs. Delegates duties to classified staff members; provides clarification, education and direct assistance as needed. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as a financial aid resource for the college community and the system office, as well as outside of the college community, as needed.
- Establishing consortium agreements with other educational institutions.
- Maintaining records and preparing reports for continued compliance and accreditation, such as the annual Fiscal Operations Report, OCR-B3 report and numerous SCHEV reports.
- Preparing documentation for APA audits; effectively responding to audit findings.
- Leveraging professional judgment to determine dependency and special circumstance situations.
- Cultivating and managing relationships with third-party vendors.
- Communicating with students and other internal and external constituencies.
- Ensuring current knowledge of the information used by USED to recertify eligibility to participate in federal financial aid programs (eligCert and Program participation Agreement).
- Remaining current with knowledge of state and federal financial aid regulations and communicating changes to affected constituents.
- Scheduling and overseeing the importing of student aid reports from the U. S. Education Department.
- Determining appropriate documentation and managing the collection of missing information and supportive documentation.
- Overseeing verification of ED-selected student aid reports, and others, with inconsistent/questionable data.
- Determining eligibility for financial aid funds, including grant/scholarship, work-study, and loan funds.
- Supervising the awarding and disbursement of financial aid funds.
Directs the day-to-day operations of the Records Office. Plans, develops and administers budgets for the office. Develops and coordinates procedures and programs to ensure an efficient and effective process of maintaining the academic records of the college.
Administers all federal, state, and private financial aid programs in accordance with established regulations and guidelines, and otherwise in the best interest of the students and the institution. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Providing annual award plans for the utilization of various federal and state allocations, including Federal Work-Study, Federal SEOG, COMA, VGAP, PTAP, and VCCS grants
- Authorizing transfer of funds between programs, as needed and permitted
- Authorizing the carry-back and carry-forward of program funds, as needed and permitted
- Ensuring the full utilization of federal and state allocations
Supervises Veteran and Military Related Student Support Center and veteran education benefit certification, including:
- Managing the VA work study program
- Hiring and supervising VA work study students
- Assisting in the development of programs to promote veteran and military related student success on campus
- Ensuring accurate and prompt processing of veteran enrollment certification
- Working with veteran certifying official(s) and the Office of Finance and Administrative Services to ensure proper payment and compliance
Conducts assessments for Institutional Effectiveness and provides data on an annual basis. Evaluates employee performance, schedules work activities, approves leave requests and takes corrective actions as appropriate in employee matters. Advises students or prospective students to correct problems or to determine actions relative to their financial aid or academic record. Serves on college governance, program and special committees. Assists with updating college policies related to Student Services. Other duties as assigned by Dean of Student Services.
Pursues professional development activities, including:
- Maintaining membership in the Virginia Association of Student Financial Aid Administrator (VASFAA)
- Attending professional development conferences and workshops, including the annual VASFAA Conference, the annual SASFAA conference, the annual NASFAA conference, the annual VCCS Peer Group Conference, and the annual FSA conference