The School of Business, Technology and Trades is proud to share the following news of awards, accomplishments, and happenings in the Al Pollard Culinary Arts Program.
• One VWCC graduate and two current students from the culinary program recently received ACF certifications! Darla Mehrkens received the ACF’s Certified Executive Chef designation and current students Dawn Kirby and Tanita Custer both received the ACF’s Certified Working Pastry Chef certification. Congratulations on these accomplishments!
• The Roanoke chapter of the ACF (Southwestern Virginia chapter) received the Chapter of the Year award at the regional conference. All three full-time faculty – Chefs Zeisler, Polfelt and Schopp – are very active members of the chapter and are leaders in many of the activities (i.e. Chocolate Sunday Festival, Chef and Child program). Through chapter activities, Chef Zeisler has lead the "Chef and Child" program volunteering with our students every Friday in four local elementary schools. The chapter won the Little Oscar award for two years from the National ACF for the “Chef and Child” activities. Chef Schopp was the invited chef for James Madison's "food for thought" working along with student volunteers doing day-long demonstrations for three classes on Thursdays of every month during spring semester. Thanks to Western’s chefs who are doing their part in placing the chapter on National’s radar.
• Chef Polfelt recently won a GOLD medal “Best of Show” at a recent culinary competition in NC.
• The State Skills USA competition was held at the Claude Moore Complex during the spring semester. Chef Schopp chaired the commercial baking, Chef Zeisler chaired the prep assistant, and Chef Polfelt chaired the culinary categories. Outside guests were very complimentary of Western’s planning and oversight.
• Virginia Western’s Al Pollard Culinary Arts Program has applied for accreditation through the American Culinary Federation, and a site visit is scheduled for September, 2014.
Stay tuned for more exciting developments from Culinary Arts and the School of Business, Technology and Trades!