ASSOCIATE INSTRUCTORS (INTERNAL CANDIDATES ONLY)
VIRGINIA WESTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE is conducting an internal recruitment effort to fill eleven (11) full-time, nine-month Associate Instructor teaching faculty positions for the 2013-14 academic year. This recruitment effort is being conducted within our current adjunct faculty employees only. No external applications will be accepted in this recruitment, unless the internal effort does not produce a qualified and diverse applicant pool. The purposes of this initiative are to increase the number of full-time faculty in the identified teaching fields, reduce reliance upon adjunct faculty, provide opportunities for our adjunct faculty to compete internally for full-time opportunities, and increase the stability in the educational delivery of the college’s course load.
The following teaching fields are under recruitment among the adjunct faculty:
- Biology (1 position available): Teaches general biology and anatomy & physiology
- Communications Studies (1 position available): Master’s degree must contain 18 GSH in CST
- Developmental Math (1 position available)
- Developmental English (1 position available)
- English (2 positions available)
- Information Technology (2 positions available)
- Philosophy/Religion (1 position available): Requires credentialing in PHIL, may teach REL courses
- Psychology (2 positions available)
TO APPLY: Only online applications accepted. For more information regarding the application process at Virginia Western, please visit our website: www.virginiawestern.edu/hr and select “career openings”. Submission of on-line application must include a current resume/curriculum vita and a cover letter expressing your interest for the teaching field of your choice. As the adjunct faculty already meet the minimum qualifications, submission of official transcripts of college work will not be required, unless additional education has been obtained since official transcripts were last provided or official transcripts are not already on file in Human Resources. Applicants must describe their specific experiences teaching different modalities in the field and the teaching methods used as part of the on-line application process.
Applicants MUST complete all applicable sections of the online application in order for the application to be considered during the recruitment process. Incomplete on-line applications along with other materials submitted via e-mail attachment, postal mail, fax, or in-person in lieu of the required on-line application will not be considered. All documents must be received with a complete online application by 5:00 pm (EST) on the closing date. Questions about the on-line application process, feel free to call (540) 857-7282.
Selected applicants will be subject to criminal history and credit background checks as a condition of employment.
TTY: "711" or 1-800-828-1120. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), Virginia Western will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes. Females, minorities, and those with disabilities are encouraged to apply. VWCC is committed to EO/AA and Diversity.
Deadline to Apply: 04/22/2013 by 5:00pm (EST)
- Full-Time, Nine-Month Teaching Position with full fringe benefits offerings; Restricted position – one year renewable contracts, but not automatic; provisions of VCCS Policy 3.4.2, Restricted Faculty, will apply
- Contract is for Fall & Spring Semesters
- Academic Year Teaching Load:
- 33-39 credit hours per Academic Year and 39-49 contact hours per Academic Year
- Up to 3 credit hours of Overload per academic year
- Office Hours per Week – 12-19 student engagement (tutoring, mentoring) and office hours
- No additional duties required for committee work, student activities, community activities, advising, governance and professional activities.
- Evaluation System is in accord with the Adjunct Faculty Evaluation System
- Faculty Ranks are different from regular faculty as follows:
- Associate Instructor I – equivalent to VCCS-29 requirements for Instructor and Assistant Professor
- Associate Instructor II – equivalent to VCCS-29 requirements for Associate Professor and Professor
- Salary Ranges as of July 1, 2012 (nine-month salary rates) – based on rank and placement in Level I or Level II
- Associate Instructor I - $32,049 to $53,153
- Associate Instructor II - $41,663 to $69,099
- Selection Process may involve a “mini-committee” rather than an Interview Committee as specified by the VWCC Employment Procedures; a regional recruitment effort rather than a national recruitment. (This recruitment is approved for internal candidates only from the college’s adjunct faculty.)
- Grievance Procedure – limited to the Presidential Level (Level III) of the Faculty Grievance Procedure
- Benefits eligibility includes retirement system (VRS or ORP), health care insurance, group life insurance, Virginia Sickness & Disability Program (VSDP) unless ORP is chosen for retirement system for which sick leave is available, optional insurance programs, educational assistance and continuous learning, holidays, flexible reimbursement accounts, tax-sheltered annuities and cash-match program, other applicable leave programs. Contact Denise Schuh in Human Resources at 857-7962 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for details of benefits programs.