Daily Bulletin title

January 29, 2013

Workers’ Compensation Tip of the Week

In the event that you should have an accident or illness that arises out of and in the course of your employment at VWCC, you should report the accident or illness to your supervisor and the Human Resources Department immediately.  The Workers' Compensation Coordinator for our agency is Heidi McClintic (hmcclintic@virginiawestern.edu or 857-6331).

  • For medical attention of a non-emergent nature, an employee must select a physician from the college's Panel of Physicians Form.
  • Employees sustaining serious (life threatening) injuries should contact Campus Police (857-7979) and seek medical attention at the closest medical facility.  Immediately upon stabilization of the injury, the employee should seek follow-up treatment from a physician on the Panel of Physicians Form.


Types of Injuries Under the Act

Employees are entitled to receive compensation for an "injury by accident" or an "occupational disease".

In order to be covered, an "injury by accident" must:

  • Occur at work or during a work-related function.
  • Be caused by a specific work activity.
  • Happen suddenly at a specific time. (Injuries incurred gradually or from repetitive trauma are not covered, although certain diseases caused by repetitive trauma are covered.)

In order to be covered, an “occupational disease” must:

  • Be caused by the work.
  • Not be a disease of the back, neck, or spinal column.
  • Not be an ordinary disease of life to which the general public is exposed outside of the employment setting.