Financial Services will be performing a physical inventory on campus over the next two weeks. We have two teams from Premier Staffing that will be on campus performing this activity. Their names are Matthew Reed, Irina Mashina, Nathalie Balisage, James Myers, and Amelia Witter. Thank you in advance for your cooperation working with the teams.
The Fall 2014 Blackboard course shells have been created and are available for faculty to access. Please take a few moments to verify that your shells are created and notify us if anything is missing.
Quick Reminders for Faculty Teaching Fall 2014
- Students have not yet been enrolled into fall courses. They will be enrolled two weeks before the fall semester begins.
- The course shells are created “Unavailable” to students on Blackboard. To make it easier for faculty, we will make all courses available on the first day of the fall semester (on August 21, 2014). But if you would like to allow students to access your courses on Blackboard earlier than August 21, 2014, you can make them available by following these instructions: http://www.virginiawestern.edu/distance/faculty/docs/bb/CourseAvailables.pdf
- Instructors can use the Course Copy function on Blackboard to transfer course content from one course to another. Instructors should complete their course copy as early as possible to avoid heavy Blackboard traffic (please remember, all 23 VCCS community colleges are using the same Blackboard course management system. Blackboard is frequently slow the week before school starts). Instructions for course copy are available here: http://www.virginiawestern.edu/distance/faculty/docs/bb/CopyCourse.pdf
- If you are teaching multiple sections of the same course, your student enrollment from PeopleSoft can be combined into a single Blackboard section. This will not affect the PeopleSoft/SIS rosters or the entering of final grades into SIS at the end of the semester. Please contact us if you wish to have sections combined. In the email, you will need to state which section is to be the container or main section and which sections should be combined into that single container section. For example: combine EDU 100-11, EDU 100-12, and EDU 100-13 into EDU 100-11 (EDU 100-11 is to be the main/container course).
Please contact us at eLIT@virginiawestern.edu if you have any questions. We look forward to working with you as we anticipate the Fall 2014 semester.
The Help Desk will be closing at 5 p.m. on Thursday, July 3, 2014.
We want to wish everyone a happy and safe Fourth of July!
Want to see the individual beads of sweat and blades of grass as the U.S. National Soccer team plays a do-or-die game? Join us in Whitman Theater to watch the USA take on Belgium in HD and surround sound today at 4 p.m.!
Faculty, staff and students are invited to attend. Here are the details:
Grinders, pizza and drinks will be provided by Bellacinos. The match will be on 4 p.m. until approximately 6 p.m. The following caveats for our operations will apply:
- Classes must continue and cannot be canceled. If you have class at that time, you will have to miss the broadcast. Join in as you are able.
- All offices serving the public must remain open, with a minimum staffing level. Each office will need to determine how to achieve this requirement with the approval of the office supervisor.
- All faculty, staff and students are invited to join us for food and watch all or part of the match in support of our United States team. Be sure to clean up after yourselves. Please do not leave trash or other items behind for someone else to clean up.
Nobody has to attend. But this is an opportunity to gather with your VWCC friends and colleagues to enjoy a special event and to unite behind our national team!
The Belk Mobile Mammography Van is coming to the Komen Virginia Blue Ridge region!
- 7/29/2014 - 9:45a – 5:45p Lynchburg, VA River Ridge Mall
- 7/31/2014 - 9:45a – 5:45p Roanoke, VA Valley View Mall
- 8/2/2014 - 9:15a – 4:30p Christiansburg, VA New River Valley Mall
Belk will cover all of the costs associated with the Mobile Mammography Center as well as any out-of-pocket costs to women who are screened.
To learn more about how to receive a mammogram that day, please visit http://tinyurl.com/mbonu5v
The VWCC Plus 50 Initiative and the Academic Link are co-sponsoring a free pre-conference workshop on best practices for engaging adult learners. The workshop will be held on July 24, one day prior to the 2014 Instructional Technology Mini-Conference and will run from 2 p.m.-4 p.m. The workshop is open to all VWCC employees though faculty and tutors will find it especially relevant.
Entitled From Pedagogy to Andragogy: Best Practices for an Engaged Learner, the workshop will be presented by Melissa Maybury Lubin, Ph.D., the director of the Virginia Tech Richmond and Hampton Roads Centers. “Andragogy,” according to Dr. Lubin, is “. . . a flexible, enhanced, inclusive mode of learning that promotes a positive environment for learning for both children and adults.” In this workshop, Dr. Lubin, who earned her Ph.D. in Adult Learning and Human Resource Development at Virginia Tech, will draw on her experience and expertise in developing and engaging adult learners to help attendees understand how “the principles of andragogy [can] inform the practice of teaching in our interactions with adult learners.”
The workshop will provide a foundation and context for the mini-technology conference the following day, so if you’re planning to attend the mini-conference, please make plans to attend the workshop, as well. If you aren’t attending the mini-conference, please plan to attend the workshop anyway – particularly if you teach or tutor. You’ll be glad you did!
Time: Thursday, July 24, 2014 from 2 p.m.-4:00 p.m.
Registration is now open at: https://docs.google.com/a/email.vccs.edu/forms/d/1uuHBV9PB-SNqB0P9DIYahYIBFrJW3hp_N1SK8yfgVLQ/viewform
Please take a minute to stop by and say hello to the following new face at Virginia Western!
- Brady Heberle began on 06/01/2014 as an Academic Systems Support Analyst in the Information and Educational Technologies Department.
- Amy Vance began on 06/10/2014 as a New Student Advisor in the Office of Advising and Retention.
- Cathrin "Kitty" Walls began on 06/23/2014 as a part-time Career Center Specialist in the Career Center.
- David Daniels began on 06/25/2014 as a Procurement Officer in the Office of Financial and Administrative Services.
Welcome to Virginia Western!!
Are you ready for the 30 DAY SQUAT CHALLENGE?
That's right, challenge yourself to do the 30 Day Squat Challenge. What else have you been doing this summer? How's that swimming going? Running all over the place? Is the bicycle still in the garage? Don't leave work, don't change clothes. If you can bend, you can squat.
Print out this chart - http://monicaelayne.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/squat-challenge.jpg . Lead a group in your area or join a friend. Get up and get it done!
Don't know how to do a squat? Sorry, that's no excuse - here's a video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-eQooI6Yds
July 1st - it's about to go down!
Brought to you by the Health-Wellness-Fun Committee of the Staff Senate.
The Staff Senate will hold our annual meeting/luncheon on Wednesday, July 16th beginning at 11:30 a.m. in the Multipurpose Room of the Fralin Center.
Come join us for a fun Mexican-themed lunch (Catered by Chipotle) with games, prizes, salsa dancing and more!
Have a dessert that is your specialty? Bring your favorite dessert for our Dessert Contest! No need to sign up in advance, just bring it to the room before 11:30 a.m. Cold items can be kept in the refrigerator in room HP204 (Catering Kitchen).
All full and part-time classified staff are invited and encouraged to attend!
IN ORDER FOR US TO KNOW HOW MUCH FOOD TO ORDER, PLEASE REGISTER! You only need to complete the information marked with the red asterisk http://calendar.activedatax.com/virginiawestern/EventRegistration.aspx?Rid=134&Iid=836557&Frm= This link has been fixed!
More information to come! Get over the Hump by joining us on Wednesday, July 16th! Questions? Contact Tara Nepper.