Keep your fingers crossed for excellent results for Western’s Baja team! The Baja team departed from Western on Monday headed for Pittsburg, Kansas. 119 teams registered for the competition some of which include teams from Egypt, Brazil, Canada, Mexico with U.S. teams from the universities of Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, Michigan, Nebraska, Kentucky; Tennessee Tech, Perdue, and many more. These are top engineering universities, and most other countries hold a qualifying event that allows the best from their country to compete in the U. S. events. Most teams have a budget that is ten times the amount that Western’s team uses each year.
This year will be our 8th consecutive year competing, and the team feels that they have built a car that is 20 percent faster than last year’s car.
Last year’s team finished 19th in the world. This is the highest that a community college has ever finished in the 30 plus years of the event.
Good luck in the days ahead; and we hope that the Baja car and team will outperform all of the schools mentioned above racing to the best finish ever!
Virginia Western Community College will be closed on Monday, May 26, 2014 in observance of the Memorial Day holiday. We will reopen for normal operations on Tuesday, May 27, 2014.
Memorial Day calls for each of us to remember our country’s history and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our freedoms. It is a particularly poignant time as the country prepares to observe the 70th anniversary of the D-Day liberation of France on June 6. Take the time to visit the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford to learn about this major military event that was the beginning of the end of World War II in the European Theater of war. Our World War II veterans are passing from us daily and our respects need to be conveyed to them for their service and sacrifice. Fly your flag and thank a military veteran for defending your freedoms.
Our next holiday closing will be on Friday, July 4, 2014 in observance of Independence Day. You may find the remainder of the 2014 college holiday schedule on VW Connect at https://vwconnect.vw.edu/sites/hr/default.aspx.
Have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day holiday weekend.
Do you smoke cigarettes? Participate in a research study:
- Cigarette smokers age 18-55
- Smoke at least 5 cigarettes per day for the past year
- Interview, fill out questionnaires, brain scan (MRI)
- You will be compensated ($) for you time
- Get a CD with high-resolution MRI images of your brain
If you are interested, please contact us at 540-526-2068
The Wait List feature will be available beginning Monday, June 2nd for Fall 2014 classes. Returning students will have the opportunity to add their name to a wait list for closed classes before Discover begins on June 5th. Students wishing to use the Wait List feature can find instructions and more information here: http://www.virginiawestern.edu/studenthelp/student/waitlist.php
Students may also use the Wait List with the Swap feature. Those instructions can be found here:
Dr. Sandel invites you to the Retirement/Farewell Reception for Jim Poythress on May 28th, 8:30am-9:30am in the Fralin Center's Multipurpose Room. Stop by to wish Jim well and enjoy a fresh cup of coffee with a donut! We hope to see you there!
If writing a paper or papers is a requirement in your classes -- regardless of the discipline -- please remind your students that Writing Center consultants are available to assist them. To avoid compromising academic integrity, consultants won't "fix" student papers. They will, however, help students to identify areas that need work and to choose appropriate tools and strategies for fixing their own papers. Students can bring their papers to the Writing Center (located on the ground floor of Brown Library) in person or submit them electronically to the Online Writing Center.
The Writing Center is open Mon.-Thurs. 8 a.m.-7 p.m. and Fri. 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Online submissions have a two-business-day turnaround time, but are often returned sooner. For more information about Writing Center services or to request that a Writing Center consultant visit your classroom to talk with your students about how the Writing Center can assist them, contact Nancy Francisco at 857-6185 or email email@example.com.
2014 Diploma Campaign
During the month of May, Kroger and Stop In Food Stores are partnering with Virginia Western Community College to support the Community College Access Program (CCAP) and make college possible for local high school graduates.
Stop by any local Kroger or Stop In Food Stores location and donate $1 or $5 when you check out. All proceeds directly benefit CCAP and help bolster the economic base of the Roanoke Valley.
For more information, see http://www.virginiawestern.edu/foundation/ccap/index.php
Summer ID Office Hours (Drop In)
Effective May 19, 2014
Dates and Times:
May 19 - 22
11 am - 5:30 pm
11 am-5:30 pm
Thomas Center, Second Floor Lobby area
All students must bring a Government Issued Photo ID (i.e., Driver's License) AND a copy of their current class schedule.
Faculty and staff need to bring their ID Request form filled out and signed by their supervisor.
Appointments can be arranged May 26-June 23, June 27 and June 30 with Nick Owens (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Natasha Lee (email@example.com)
Congratulations to Lee Allen, who received her Doctorate of Arts in Community College Education from George Mason University on May 17th. The Advising Center team members are very excited and proud of our colleague.
WAY TO GO, DR. ALLEN!!
What are calendar resources? A resource is the assistance needed from Campus Police, Media Geeks or FMS for your reservation on the college's online calendar/reservation system. When a resource is needed for your meeting or event please make sure to use either the college's online calendar or the FMS Maintenance Connection Work Order system.
What resources are available for a reservation through the calendar?
- No need to unlock, user has a key - this lets Campus Police know for sure that you do not need their assistance.
- Other (Please Specify)
- Reserve parking - see notes - Reserve parking is approved based on the type of event, attendees and number of spaces required.
- Reserve parking lot 1/NSC -This reserves the small lot in front of the NSC closest to Winding Way.
- Unlock Doors - If this is not selected, Campus Police will not know to unlock the door. Using this in advance will save you from waiting the day of your meeting/event.
- Dedicated Technician (May be a charge) - This applies to services that may not normally be needed such as video or on-hand tech services. Usually for off-campus users.
- Microphone (Whitman Theater only) - Select if additional microphones are needed. If the lectern only will be used, this option is not necessary.
- Multi-Media Lectern - This lets the Media Geeks know that you will be using the lectern in the location selected. Media Geeks will advise if for any reason the lectern is not in full working order.
- No Technician Needed - This lets Media Geeks know that you will not be using technology.
- Please contact me for specific technical support - This is helpful when a large event will required more coordination or if you are not sure what services are needed.
- Resources needed: - List the services you know you will need from Media Geeks.
- Wireless Guest Password - Select when off-campus visitors will need a password to log into the college's wireless network.
The calendar takes care of the assistance you need from Campus Police and Media Geeks.
For support from FMS (chairs, tables, room set up, etc.) you will need to use the Maintenance Connection Work Order system.
Contact Hunter Wright if you do not have access to the work order system or have questions regarding FMS services. Please do not email set up requests.
Questions regarding the college's online calendar and reservation system? Contact Tara Nepper (firstname.lastname@example.org or 76492)