You are cordially invited to attend the Roanoke premier of The Hudson Trio as they present their program "Americana" on Monday, October 14 at 6pm in the Multipurpose Room in the Center for Science and Health Professions, HP 210. This group is traveling across Southwest Virginia performing pieces by Gershwin, Foote, Jopklin, Copland, and others. This concert is free and open to the public, so invite your friends and family to join you next Monday for this wonderful ensemble featuring Caroline Chin on the violin, Robert Burkhart on the cello, and Vladimir Valjarevic on the piano. For more information please contact Erik Williams in the Educational Foundation at 7-8914 or email@example.com.
October 7, 2013
A limited number of tickets are available for upcoming Opera Roanoke performances. Tickets are for Handel's Julius Caesar on March 21st at 8 p.m. and March 23rd at 2:30 p.m.
Stop by the Marketing Department - first come, first served!
The department of Distance Learning and Instructional Technology (DLIT) will offer a series of instructional technology training sessions between Oct. 21 and Nov. 5. Here are the training topics:
- Blackboard Course Content Management and Discussion Board
- Blackboard Grade Center
- Brown Bag Session: Impatica for PowerPoint
- Blackboard Online Testing
- Record Lectures and Tutorials using Panopto Lecture Capture System
- Create Online Web Meetings/Office Hours Using Blackboard Collaborate
- Respondus and Respondus Lockdown Browser
Detailed information about training session content can be found on the registration form. To register, please go to this page.
If you have any questions, please contact Carrie Halpin at CHalpin@virginiawestern.edu
Flu shots are now available free through the Commonwealth of Virginia healthcare plans.
COVA Care and COVA HDHP members can receive free flu shots utilizing your prescription benefit or major medical benefit in one of three ways:
- By participating pharmacies – for pharmacy listings go to http://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/hbenefits/flushotinformation.html (Flu shots will not be covered when administered by a non-participating pharmacy, non-approved onsite Virginia Department of Health visit, or third party vendor at the pharmacy.)
- By your doctor’s office – covered as part of your wellness benefit under major medical.
- Onsite at Virginia Western Community College by appointment:
Human Resources/Workforce Development Training Room, Fishburn Hall
Thursday, October 24, 2013
7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- All employees and retirees, their spouses and covered children are welcome!
- Children age 9 and under must have a prescription to receive the vaccine from their doctor.
- Plan members who bring a COVA Care or COVA HDHP health insurance card will receive flu shots at no cost!
- There is a $31.99 charge for employees without insurance.
Appointments will be made in five (5) minute intervals. Please arrive five (5) minutes early to allow time for forms completion.
COVA Health Aware members can receive free flu shots only under their major medical benefit in one of two ways:
- By your doctor’s office – covered as part of your wellness benefit under your major medical.
- Participating pharmacy mini-clinics (on site at pharmacy and billed to major medical – not retail). See http://www.aetna.com/docfind/cms/html/flu_shot_vaccine_providers.html for a listing of participating pharmacies. CVS is a COVA Health Aware participating pharmacy. Flu shots will not be covered when administered by a third party vendor at the pharmacy.
Flu shots administered by Virginia Department of Health be not be covered by COVA Health Aware.
Contact Denise Schuh for an flu shot appointment at either 857-7962 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don't miss the Bridging Cultures Film Series!
- 10/8, 2pm, Whitman Theater—Islamic Art: Mirror of the Invisible World (2011)
- Explores the richness of Islamic art in objects big and small, from great ornamented palaces and the play of light in monumental mosques to the exquisite beauty of ceramics, carved boxes, paintings, calligraphy, and metal work.
- 10/22, 2pm, Whitman Theater—Persepolis (2007)
- Poignant coming-of-age story of a precocious and outspoken young Iranian girl that begins during the Islamic Revolution.
- 11/5, 2pm, Whitman Theater—Koran by Heart: Once Chance to Remember (2011)
- Captures the drama of the annual International Holy Koran Competition, following three extraordinary ten year olds who have dedicated their lives to honoring their families, countries, and culture through memorization of the religious text.
These films are part of the Bridging Cultures Bookshelf: Muslim Journeys award granted to Brown Library by the NEH. They are available to be checked out on a reserve basis from the Circulation desk on the top floor of the library.
On Wednesday we will be meeting at noon in the Natural Science Center to discuss how we as a college want to define student success. We need your help!
Please join us to provide input as we move forward with our final plans for Navigate. Snacks will be provided.
EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS – Scholarships are available for financial need, specific programs and academic excellence. These funds are available to help students with the cost of tuition. A student does not need to apply for financial aid to receive an Educational Foundation scholarship.
For more information, please direct your students to www.virginiawestern.edu/foundation/scholarship. The deadline to apply is Friday, October 25, 2013 at 4 p.m.
For more information on any Student Assistance Programs, or if you have any questions, please contact the Educational Foundation at 857.6371 or email@example.com. We appreciate the opportunities provided to make sure our students have every opportunity to receive a quality education. Thank you for all you do!
We look forward to seeing you this week when the We Are Western Prize Team is back on Patrol!
As we still have prizes to award, and want to give you every opportunity to participate in the campaign, the deadline has been extended until Friday, October 11. This is your chance to participate in a campaign that truly makes a difference in the lives of the students you teach and serve everyday.
The third prize drawing was held on Friday, October 4 and the winners are:
- We Are Western T-shirts: Deborah Thompson, Harry Stockton, Cameron Carroll, William Alexander, Susan Clark, Joanie White, Dan Semones, Debra LaRocca, Susan Quesenberry, Ramona Coveny, Debra Thomas, Ann Kakouras
- $25 gift certificate to Advance Auto Parts: Brooke Ferguson
- $25 gift certificate to Olive Garden: Brian Sieveking
- $30 gift certificate to Amazon: Natalie Talbot
- Jambox the Smart Speaker Wireless speaker: Karin Cole
- SURPRISE GIVE-A-WAY Scotty McCreery tickets for October 4, 2013: Jennifer Bobbitt
A final prize drawing will be held to wrap up the campaign. THIS IS THE FINAL WEEK AND THE GOAL IS 100 % EMPLOYEE PARTICIPATION!!! Learn more at www.virginiawestern.edu/foundation/giving/empgiving.
If you have any questions, please contact Erik Williams at 857.8914 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for being part of our family and supporting our students! We Are Western!
Need a slide on the VWtv? Use this easy link below to get your information out.
VWConnect > Institutional Advancement > Office of Communications > VWtv slide - https://sites.google.com/site/vwmediageeks/vwtv-request
Remember to keep your VWtv slide message short and to the point. You only have six seconds to catch their attention.
Remember - this link is on VWConnect so it can only be accessed through an on-campus computer or through the virtual desktop if off campus.