Lot 15 – Construction Update #2
The service drive area directly behind Business Science will be closed next week for installation of underground utilities and the new sidewalk. Please plan to park elsewhere during this time. Some selective pruning of trees along Colonial Avenue will also occur between Webber and McNeil Avenue.
September 12, 2013
Lot 15 – Construction Update #2
I encourage faculty and staff to attend one of the Plus 50 Learners training sessions next week as schedules permit. These valuable training sessions are being provided to aid faculty and staff in ensuring the success of their older students, who often have unique needs and skill sets. Students over the age of 50 are the fastest growing community college student population in the nation.
Workshop sessions will be held on Wednesday 9/18/2013 and Thursday 9/19/2013 from 9:00am to 4:00pm in Whitman Auditorium, featuring the following topics:
- Creating Hybrid Courses for the Adult Learner
- Instructional Technology for the Adult Learner
- Panel Discussion on Advising Adult Learners; a Discussion Guide for Plus 50 Learners; Developing a Toolkit for Special Populations; and Best Practices for Plus 50 Learners
- Dr. Sheila Newberry from St. Petersburg College in Florida will share her experiences and expertise covering Characteristics of Plus 50 Learners; Adult Learning Theory for Plus 50 Learners; and Classroom Skills for plus 50 Learners.
For a complete schedule or to register for sessions contact Leah Coffman at 857-6678 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support!
Robert H. Sandel
Please take a minute to stop by and say hello to the following new faces at Virginia Western!
- Veronica Blankenship began on 09/09/2013 as the part-time Biology Lab Assistant for the School of STEM.
Welcome to Virginia Western!
The Classified Staff Outstanding Achievement Award Committee is requesting nominations for the 2013 Classified Staff Outstanding Achievement Award. The deadline for submitting nominations is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 13, 2013.
Each year, classified employees are selected to receive this award based on exceptional achievements, extraordinary accomplishments, outstanding initiative or superb performance resulting in significant benefits to Virginia Western Community College. This award is designed to acknowledge significant, specific contribution or accomplishment beyond regular expectations of an employee or beyond normal work duties.
This year, nominations will be received through 5 p.m. on September 13, 2013. During the nomination period, eligible employees may be nominated for accomplishments and achievements that would merit an outstanding achievement award through such criteria as:
- Completing a major project under budget.
- Consistently providing exceptional customer service to internal or external customers.
- Completing a major project before the deadline under extraordinary time pressure.
- Developing and implementing strategies to resolve a work unit problem.
- Contributing to a one-time, outstanding effort, which benefited the work unit or the college.
- Specific accomplishment that improves internal processes, saving time or money.
- Resourcefulness, initiative, on-going contributions or other standards of excellence that assist the college achieving its mission.
In order to be nominated an employee must:
- Have attained non-probationary employment status in a full time classified position.
- Part-time wage employees must have at least one year of service.
- Have no active Written Notices; and for part time wage employees, no disciplinary actions taken by the supervisor within the previous year.
- Not be a 2011 or a 2012 former recipient of the Award (an employee may only receive this Award once every two years). Those employees are: Mike Lucas, Mayra Vazquez-Miller, Heidi McClintic, Sarah Olson, Michelle Webb, Marla Whiteside, Pam Conner, Kalyca Schultz, Sandra Kelly, Faith Janney, James Gettys, Joan Ayers, and Sandy Holland.
- No provisions of this policy may be waived without the approval of the Human Resources Director.
Any VWCC employee may nominate an employee for the award by completing a Classified Staff Outstanding Achievement Award Nomination Form and returning it to Human Resources along with the supporting documentation by the deadline date and time established. The committee will review the nominations and decide which employees will be awarded this honor based on a standard set of ranking criteria. The awards will be presented at the Employee Service Award Ceremony which is scheduled for Wednesday, November 6, 2013 at 2 p.m. in the Whitman Theater. Recipients of the award will receive a monetary award of $500, a trophy, and a certificate of appreciation.
To obtain a nomination form, visit VWConnect/Human Resources/Forms/Recognition/2013 Classified Outstanding Achievement Award Nomination Form or contact Human Resources at 857-7962.
American Association of Community Colleges Plus 50 Encore Grant – Professional Development Workshops
Did you know...that VWCC is now a AACC Plus 50 College?
VWCC is part of a growing number of community colleges across the nation reaching out to Plus 50 Learners, a rapidly growing demographic that faces many challenges (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-eAamtDLaw). To learn how VWCC can become more 'user-friendly' to Plus 50 Learners and ensure their success in classes and with future career pathways - register for our September Professional Development Workshops for all faculty and staff.
Workshop sessions will be held on Wednesday 9/18/2013 and Thursday 9/19/2013 from 9:00am to 4:00pm in Whitman Auditorium. Workshop agenda includes:
- § Creating Hybrid Courses for the Adult Learner
- § Instructional Technology for the Adult Learner
- § Panel Discussion on Advising Adult Learners; a Discussion Guide for Plus 50 Learners; Developing a Toolkit for Special Populations; and Best Practices for Plus 50 Learners
- § Dr. Sheila Newberry from St. Petersburg College in Florida will share her experiences and expertise covering Characteristics of Plus 50 Learners; Adult Learning Theory for Plus 50 Learners; and Classroom Skills for plus 50 Learners.
Lunch will be provided for full day registered participants.
First Come basis so register early. Attend day 1 or 2. Should your schedule not permit attending all day you may attend the session that meets your need.
For a complete schedule or to register for sessions contact Workforce Development Services (Leah Coffman at 857-6678 or email@example.com)
Would you like to help plan this year's Holiday Luncheon? Your help is needed in order to make this fun event even better! If you are interested in helping, contact Tara Nepper by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). A meeting will be set based on everyone's availability on their Outlook calendars.
Please email your interest by September 16th.