Use the hash tag #vwccgrad13 for your Twitter and Instagram posts tonight as you cheer on the 2013 graduating class!
May 10, 2013
The Student Summer ID/sticker hours will be:
May 16 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM & 2:30 – 5:30 PM
May 20-23 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM & 2:30 – 5:30 PM
June 25-27 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM & 2:30 – 5:30 PM
July 1-2 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM & 2:30 – 5:30 PM
Students need a copy of their summer schedule (printed May 13 or newer; or digital) and their student ID or an issued photo ID.
The ID office is located in the 2nd floor lobby of the Thomas Center.
Faculty/staff IDs can be made besides the dates above by appointment only until July 2. After July 2, the ID office will be closed to everyone until faculty/staff fall orientation.
For appointments or questions, email Nick Owens @ email@example.com.
BRAIN PATTERN STUDY
The Human Neuroimaging Laboratory at Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute (VTCRI) located in Roanoke, Virginia would like to invite you to participate in a variety of groundbreaking studies!
- Eligibility: healthy adults, age 18-64
- Compensation: at least $20.00
- Primary goal: To study the response of the normal brain to patterns of stimuli, rewards, and decision-making
- Institute sponsor: Human Neuroimaging Laboratory labs.vtc.vt.edu/hnl
- Study timeframe/duration: 1-3 hours per visit
If you are interested in volunteering, please visit: http://vtcri.info/jkzexq
To contact us via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; or call 540-526-2034
The Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute is conducting a brain imaging study on cigarette smokers. Eligible participants must meet the following criteria:
- Current smokers, age 18-55
- Smoke at least 5 cigarettes per day
- Have been smoking for the past year
You will be compensated for your time. Eligible participants typically make $50 for the first session and $30 for the second session, with the potential to earn an additional $75. We have two locations, Blacksburg and Roanoke, and scheduling is very flexible to best accommodate your schedule. If interested, please contact Andre at 540-526-2068 email@example.com for more information.
OEF/OIF VETERANS NEEDED FOR FMRI STUDIES
- Deployment impacts veterans in many ways
- We use new FMRI technology to understand how deployment can affect the biology of the brain
- Have the study described and questions answered by study staff before deciding to participate
- Participate in a videotaped interview about your life experiences
- Fill out some questionnaires
- Complete computer tasks during an fMRI scan which may include:
- Viewing positive, negative, & neutral images- including some that are combat related
- Playing simple computer games
- Be asked to provide a saliva sample for genetic analyses
- Receive a CD copy of your structural brain scan
- Be compensated $15 per hour for the interview & questionnaire session and $20 or more for the fMRI scan depending on how you play the game
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- OEF/OIF Veterans who are:
- Between 18 & 64 years old
- Free from metal in their body
- Not claustrophobic
Friday, May 10, 2013
- Grand Opening Weekend of Sunken City Brewery (10am – 5:30pm) @ Sunken City Brewery. For more - https://www.facebook.com/events/298943040237537/?ref=2
- Movies at the Tower (6pm – 9pm) @ Wells Fargo Plaza. For more info - http://www.downtownroanoke.org/do/2
- Free Wine Tasting (4pm – 8pm) @ Mr. Bills Wine Cellar
Saturday, May 11, 2013
- Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast (7am– 2pm) @ Roanoke Civic Center. All you can eat pancakes, sausage and drinks. Cost $5 in advance $6 at the door. For More info - www.roanokekiwanis.org
- Physicians on Foot (8:30am) @ The Greenway in front of Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. Numerous Carilion Clinic physicians are lacing up their walking shoes alongside the public in the "Physicians on Foot" weekly walking program. For info - www.carilionclinic.org/walking
- Art Market & Food Tasting (9am– 2pm) @ Vinton Farmer’s Market. Find unique local art and sample locally grown and made food. For More info - ww2.roanoke.com/eventcalendar/EventDetails.aspx?eventID=37085&dteId=41743
- Roanoke Railfest (10am– 5pm) @ VA Museum of Transportation. Come check out the history the railroad and steam locomotives. For More info - ww2.roanoke.com/eventcalendar/EventDetails.aspx?eventID=36797&dteId=41546
- City Market Saturdays (11am – 2:30pm) @ Downtown Roanoke. For more info - www.downtownroanoke.org
- Uncork the Cure Wine Festival (12pm– 6pm) @ Daleville Town Center. A wine festival to benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure. For More info - http://bbwinefest.com/
- Mother’s Day Mayhem Star City Rollar Girls Derby (8pm – 12pm) @ Icimani Adventure Center. Roanoke’s local roller derby team takes on Chemical Valley Roller Girls. For more info - ww2.roanoke.com/eventcalendar/EventDetails.aspx?eventID=36963&dteId=41427
- Grand Affair (8pm – 12pm) @ Center in the Square. Grand Re-opening of the Center in the Square. For more info - www.downtownroanoke.org/do/grand-affair
EVERY WEDNESDAY ULTIMATE FRISBEE Roanoke Ultimate (Frisbee) Weekly Pickup - Every Wednesday, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm @ River's Edge Sport Complex South - Field 4. For info - www.roanokeultimate.com.
“MMMOVE” My Motivation Movement (MMMOVE) - It's about helping people connect with others in the Community, find joy in Fitness, and improve their Health. 3 Miles • You vs. You • Free. This is an event you won't want to miss. With live music, food and activities, there really is something for everyone. You can walk, jog, run, or be a cheerleader! It's not a race; you compete against a goal you set for yourself at registration. Join us on June 1, 2013 on the Roanoke River Greenway. Learn more at www.mmmove.org, and register at http://bit.ly/MMMOVE2013.
Do you have an item to post in COMMUNITY EVENTS? Please submit your information ready to post with complete contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The graduation ceremony on May 10th will be available live stream at http://new.livestream.com/vwcc/2013springgraduation at 6:30 p.m.