The Information and Educational Technologies (IET) Media Geeks will no longer be available after 4:30 p.m. to provide classroom support.
Several part-time Media Geek staff members have terminated employment with VWCC so until these positions can be filled, the remaining Media Geeks staff must cover the normal business hours of 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and Saturday and Sunday events.
IET is sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and hope to have Media Geek technical support available again until 7 p.m. on weekdays in the future.
If you have any questions, please contact the Help Desk at 7-7354.
The Retention office is in the process of scheduling the Fall 'Hot Topic' workshops. These workshops are presented in an effort to offer tips to help our students become successful in and outside the classroom. We ask that you please consider facilitating a workshop for the fall semester.
The workshops are held throughout the semester on Wednesdays from 1-1:50 p.m.
If you would like to facilitate a workshop, please provide a topic title, a brief (2-3 sentences) description and email this information to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 26. Thanking you in advance for your consideration.
Chapman Hall 105
WHEN: Wednesday, April 17; 1:00 p.m.
WHERE: Webber 307
FACILITATOR: Ms. Edna Whittier
This session centers mostly on skill techniques for multiple choice tests, but will also cover general testing skills for any kind of test. Test distractions, test anxiety, math test skills and essay test skills will be included if students have questions on those test subjects.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE YOUR STUDENTS TO ATTEND THESE VERY USEFUL HOT TOPIC SESSIONS. If you would like to offer extra credit to students, they will be given an “extra credit ticket” as verification of their attendance to bring back to class.
Chapman Hall, Room 105
Virginia Western’s Spring Fling 2013!
Relax and enjoy Virginia Western's Annual Spring Event!
Friday, April 19
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Court of Four Seasons (in front of Brown Library)
Everything is Free!
Make Your Own License Plates
Spin Art Frisbees
Zumba Demo at 11:30 am
Picnic Lunch and Homestead Creamery Ice Cream
Student Organizations & Campus Departments
Special giveaways and promotions for students!
Spring Fling Art Show
Juried Student Art Show on the Pedestrian Bridge from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Opportunity to win cash prizes! Pick up an entry form in the Art Gallery!
For more information - contact Natasha Lee, Student Activities Coordinator at 857-6326 or email@example.com
ASSOCIATE INSTRUCTORS (INTERNAL CANDIDATES ONLY)
VIRGINIA WESTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE is conducting an internal recruitment effort to fill eleven (11) full-time, nine-month Associate Instructor teaching faculty positions for the 2013-14 academic year. This recruitment effort is being conducted within our current adjunct faculty employees only. No external applications will be accepted in this recruitment, unless the internal effort does not produce a qualified and diverse applicant pool. The purposes of this initiative are to increase the number of full-time faculty in the identified teaching fields, reduce reliance upon adjunct faculty, provide opportunities for our adjunct faculty to compete internally for full-time opportunities, and increase the stability in the educational delivery of the college’s course load.
The following teaching fields are under recruitment among the adjunct faculty:
- Biology (1 position available): Teaches general biology and anatomy & physiology
- Communications Studies (1 position available): Master’s degree must contain 18 GSH in CST
- Developmental Math (1 position available)
- Developmental English (1 position available)
- English (2 positions available)
- Information Technology (2 positions available)
- Philosophy/Religion (1 position available): Requires credentialing in PHIL, may teach REL courses
- Psychology (2 positions available)
TO APPLY: Only online applications accepted. For more information regarding the application process at Virginia Western, please visit our website: www.virginiawestern.edu/hr and select “career openings”. Submission of on-line application must include a current resume/curriculum vita and a cover letter expressing your interest for the teaching field of your choice. As the adjunct faculty already meet the minimum qualifications, submission of official transcripts of college work will not be required, unless additional education has been obtained since official transcripts were last provided or official transcripts are not already on file in Human Resources. Applicants must describe their specific experiences teaching different modalities in the field and the teaching methods used as part of the on-line application process.
Applicants MUST complete all applicable sections of the online application in order for the application to be considered during the recruitment process. Incomplete on-line applications along with other materials submitted via e-mail attachment, postal mail, fax, or in-person in lieu of the required on-line application will not be considered. All documents must be received with a complete online application by 5:00 pm (EST) on the closing date. Questions about the on-line application process, feel free to call (540) 857-7282.
Selected applicants will be subject to criminal history and credit background checks as a condition of employment.
TTY: "711" or 1-800-828-1120. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), Virginia Western will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes. Females, minorities, and those with disabilities are encouraged to apply. VWCC is committed to EO/AA and Diversity.
Deadline to Apply: 04/22/2013 by 5:00pm (EST)
- Full-Time, Nine-Month Teaching Position with full fringe benefits offerings; Restricted position – one year renewable contracts, but not automatic; provisions of VCCS Policy 3.4.2, Restricted Faculty, will apply
- Contract is for Fall & Spring Semesters
- Academic Year Teaching Load:
- 33-39 credit hours per Academic Year and 39-49 contact hours per Academic Year
- Up to 3 credit hours of Overload per academic year
- Office Hours per Week – 12-19 student engagement (tutoring, mentoring) and office hours
- No additional duties required for committee work, student activities, community activities, advising, governance and professional activities.
- Evaluation System is in accord with the Adjunct Faculty Evaluation System
- Faculty Ranks are different from regular faculty as follows:
- Associate Instructor I – equivalent to VCCS-29 requirements for Instructor and Assistant Professor
- Associate Instructor II – equivalent to VCCS-29 requirements for Associate Professor and Professor
- Salary Ranges as of July 1, 2012 (nine-month salary rates) – based on rank and placement in Level I or Level II
- Associate Instructor I - $32,049 to $53,153
- Associate Instructor II - $41,663 to $69,099
- Selection Process may involve a “mini-committee” rather than an Interview Committee as specified by the VWCC Employment Procedures; a regional recruitment effort rather than a national recruitment. (This recruitment is approved for internal candidates only from the college’s adjunct faculty.)
- Grievance Procedure – limited to the Presidential Level (Level III) of the Faculty Grievance Procedure
- Benefits eligibility includes retirement system (VRS or ORP), health care insurance, group life insurance, Virginia Sickness & Disability Program (VSDP) unless ORP is chosen for retirement system for which sick leave is available, optional insurance programs, educational assistance and continuous learning, holidays, flexible reimbursement accounts, tax-sheltered annuities and cash-match program, other applicable leave programs. Contact Denise Schuh in Human Resources at 857-7962 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for details of benefits programs.
Do you know that this is the title of our Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)? Do you want to know the details of this proposed plan? Do you want to be involved with this project next year?
Come find out more information at the following sessions which are open to all faculty, staff, and students. Refreshments will be provided.
Monday, April 8 12-1 pm in W308
- Thursday, April 11 2-3 pm in W310
If you have questions, comments, or concerns about Navigate: Get THERE through Team Advising, please contact Kristel Clark, QEP Coordinator, at email@example.com or 540-857-6218.