Please make a point to visit these people who are new to the Virginia Western community!
- Leah Wechtaluk McFarren began full-time on 11/10/2012 in the School of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences as an Infant and Toddler Specialist.
- Steven Chichester began full-fime on 11/09/2012 in Academic Advising and Counseling as an Academic Advisor
- Yvonne Campbell began full-time on 11/08/2012 in Academic Advising and Counseling as an Academic Advisor
This opportunity is to provide an intensive 2-year geospatial workshop (1 week each summer in both 2013 and 2014) for fulltime community college faculty (in VA, NC, KY, WV, MD, and TN) to support efforts to develop new geospatial courses and/or support the integration of GST into their respective disciplines and across their respective institutions. We are currently soliciting applications for participants to attend the Geospatial Institute. I have provided some summary information about this opportunity below. Keep in mind that all expenses (except travel) are covered, and faculty are eligible for a generous stipend.
The Geospatial Institute is offering an introductory workshop open to all fulltime community college faculty from Virginia and surrounding states (VA, NC, KY, WV, MD, and TN). No prior GIS or GPS knowledge is required. Space is limited.
Registrations are due on 11/30/2012. Accepted applicants will be notified by 12/15/2012.
The Institute will offer participants the following:
- Two years of instruction in Geospatial Technology in a week-long summer institute each summer (June 1-7, 2013 and summer 2014 [dates TBD]) at Virginia Tech, located in beautiful Blacksburg, VA;
- Stipends will be provided to summer institute participants. Participants will receive $2,000 ($1,000 per year * 2 years) for successful completion of the two Summer Institutes and other requirements;
- Housing and meals will be provided to summer institute participants while attending the institute;
- Curricula aligned to the Department of Labor standards for Geospatial Technicians;
- Mentoring from community college faculty, university faculty, high school teachers, and industry professionals (before, during, and after the institutes);
- Opportunities to learn about geospatial educational approaches from successful program educators from across the state and nation.
Contact David Webb, email@example.com
EMPLOYEE HOLIDAY LUNCHEON will be held on Friday, December 7th, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the gymnasium.
Our meal will be caterer by A Cut Above Catering and the menu will include the following items:
- Black Forest Ham – served at a carving station with a honey mustard sauce (gluten free)
- Classic Turkey & Gravy (gluten free)
- Santa Fe Veggie Pasta – bowtie pasta mixed in a creamy cheddar sauce with fresh tomatoes, corn, black beans and peppers (vegetarian)
- Southern Green Beans (gluten free)
- Buttered Corn (gluten free)
- Traditional Bread Stuffing
- Assorted Breads
- Apple Cobbler and Ice Cream
- Variety of Petite Cheese Cakes
- Variety of Petite Pies
- Banana Pudding (gluten free)
- Orange-Infused Iced Tea, Water, Coffee
PLEASE register prior to the event so that we can make sure we can make sure we order the correct amount of food. The difference of 100 people equates to over $1,000. Everyone who registers will have their name in a drawing for door prizes. Please register by noon on November 30th. http://calendar.activedatax.com/virginiawestern/EventRegistration.aspx?Rid=117&Iid=604737&Frm=
Every year the college supports a couple of local charities with the donation of items or money. This year the college will be supporting the Office of Pregnant and Parenting Students and the ASPCA. Following are a list of items needed for each agency.
Office of Pregnant & Parenting Student Service (VWCC)
- Diapers- infant to toddler size
- Pull ups
- Clothing- newborn to toddler- onesies, tshirts
- Coats- infant to toddler , 2t-6 sizes
- Books, puzzles- infant to pre school
- Small toys
- Car seat
- Diaper bag/Tote bag
- Insulated bags- for nursing mothers
- Gift cards- for transportation, food assistance
- WEPA cards- VWCC printing
- Monetary donations- can be used for bookstore credit, cab vouchers, child care assistance
See the list attached for needed donation items. Located Baldwin Avenue, NE. Services include animal adoption, foster care, low-cost spay and neutering, community outreach. http://www.rvspca.org/
Dr. Sandel and the entire Virginia Western Community College family send deepest sympathy to the family of Mrs. Elizabeth Downs. Mrs. Downs was the wife of former College president, Dr. Charles Downs. Mrs. Downs passed away on Sunday, November 11th.
Participate in We Are Western Day, approved by President Dr. Robert Sandel, to show your Virginia Western spirit on Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2012. On that day, wear your We Are Western T-shirt and/or Employee Giving Campaign button.
There is till time to participate and be eligible for the last prize drawing.
The final Grand Prize Drawing for an iPad3 donated by Optical Cable will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 20 and announced after Thanksgiving break. Enter today to win the iPad.
The We Are Western 2012 Employee Giving Campaign is nearly complete. It is an opportunity to invest in the future of our students. With support from much of the Virginia Western family, the Educational Foundaiton couldn't be happier with the funds raised to date to benefit students through scholarship and assistance programs. Donations fund the Employee Annual Giving Scholarship, Employee Family Scholarship, Student Emergency Fund, Student Book Fund, CCAP or any other initiative of the employee’s choosing. 100% of your gift benefits Virginia Western’s students. The goal is 100% employee participation, and no gift is too small!
Enter to win and participate in We Are Western Day: a downloadable campaign contribution form and secure online contribution form are available at www.virginiawestern.edu/foundation on the Employee Giving Campaign page. If you have any questions, please contact Erik Williams at 857.8914 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for being part of our family and supporting our students! We Are Western!
Attention ALL employees (Full and Part-Time, Faculty and Staff):
To make sure Payroll has your current mailing address for W2 purposes, please review and update your address no later than December 14th, 2012.
To Edit an address:
- Log-in to PeopleSoft.
- Click "Main Menu".
- Click "Self Service".
- Click "Personal Information Summary".
- Click "Change Home/Mailing Addresses" button.
- Then click the “Edit” button to the right of the address which needs to be updated.
- Fill out the form with your new mailing address information. You must list the same address in the HOME and MAILING address variables. Please ensure you are using proper USPS format and abbreviations. The Postal code MUST be in the nine-digit format. Use this link to find your code: http://zip4.usps.com.
- Residence/Juris Code should be the city or county location of the corresponding address.
- List effective date of address change next to “On this date”.
- Click “Save”.
- Click “Ok”.
- Click “Return to Personal Information” when verification of Address is complete.
Additionally, you must submit all address changes to the Human Resources Department. This can be done by emailing Heidi McClintic (email@example.com) from your VWCC Employee Email Account (or you can use your VCCS Student Email account if you do not have an Employee Email Account with our college) with the request.