- HUGE MULTIFAMILY YARD SALE, Saturday, October 13, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Items include clothes, baby stuff, purses, shoes, toys and more. All proceeds go to my father to help with his ongoing medical bills. He's currently fighting lung cancer. He finished his rounds of chemo and will be starting radiation in a week. Longhorn Road in SW Roanoke County and follow the neon pink signs from 419 near Oak Grove Plaza.
- WIN AN iPad or 1 of 8 KINDLE FIRES! The Roanoke Area Youth Substance Abuse Coalition and the Roanoke Prevention Alliance are surveying young adults ages 18 - 24 to help reduce alcohol related motor vehicle crashes by this age group. If you are 18 - 24 and live in Roanoke City, Roanoke County, City of Salem, Botetourt County, Craig County or Franklin County you qualify to complete the survey and register to win one of the 9 prizes to be raffled. Proof of residence and age will be required to claim prizes. Survey Link: http://www.coalitionsurvey.com/yas
- INTERNATIONAL AUCTION AT THE LAKE hosted by Roanoke Valley Sister Cities, Sunday, October 21 from 2-5 p.m. There will be music, food, wine, original art, and gift certificates. It will be held at the W. E. Skelton 4-H Educational Conference Center, 775 Hermitage Road, Wirtz, VA. For a partial listing of artwork, visit our website at www.rvsci.us/auction
- FOR ADOPTION HUGE WHITE 14” KOI. This guy has outgrown his outside pond and needs a new place to blow bubbles. $75 re-homing fee. His new home must be larger than 55 gal. Also available are 2 large Comets for a $35 re-homing fee. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOR SALE KITTENS - 7 kittens -There is a $5 rehoming fee and they are 2 to 6 months old, litter box trained, dewormed. Call or text 540-238-3421 or email email@example.com
- FOR SALE BRAND NEW CARHARTT COVERALLS: 2 pair of insulated brown Carhartt full coveralls, brand new with tags, sizes 38 reg and 36 reg, will sell for $100 each. Also, one pair of insulated Carhartt overalls (black), brand new with tags, size 38 X 40, will sell for $70. Motorized scooter and electric wheel chair also for sale. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- FOR SALE NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH Only used a couple times. $80. Contact email@example.com
- MISCLEANOUS ITEMS FOR SALE: Lazy Boy Queen Size Sleeper Sofa, needs new mattress, tear in seat pillow, two throw pillows $100 OBO. Kincaid Over-Sized Recliner, hunter green, push button recline, excellent condition, $300 firm. Designer shoes, ladies size 6m, never worn $45 firm. Wedding dress, excellent condition, matching shoes, size 6 petite, bead work and lace, white satin, $175 firm/OBO, shoes to match, white satin with beading size 6 $25. Veil, beading, satin rose bud crown, long $85. Contact Jean @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have an item to post FOR BUY/SALE/TRADE/FREE? Please submit your post in correct grammatical form with complete contact information to email@example.com.
Friday, October 12, 2012
- FREE WINE TASTING @ Mr. Bill’s Wine Cellar 4-7 p.m. http://www.mrbillswinecellar.com/Mr._Bills/Mr._Bills_Wine_Cellar.html
- ROANOKE UNITED METHODIST HOME BAZAAR 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Bazaar is free, $8.50 for luncheon by reservation only. firstname.lastname@example.org
- 25TH ANNIVERSARY CRAFTSMEN'S FALL CLASSIC ART & CRAFT FESTIVAL @ Roanoke Civic Center 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. Admission is your generous donation of food to benefit Feeding America Southwest Virginia Food Bank. Contact@GilmoreShows.com
- BLUE RIDGE FILM & MUSIC FESTIVAL @ Buchanan Theater, noon – 10 p.m. Single day pass to all theater events $20 (Fri & Sat) day pass for Sunday $10, all inclusive pass for entire weekend (includes 3 days of film, music, after parties, and dinner Fri-Sat) $95. For complete information on schedules, what and when the moves will be screened, what time the music and dinner starts, the after party, and all that, please visit www.blueridgefilmfest.com
- CHEERS FOR CHARITY @ Annie Moore's Pub 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. Benefiting Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Cheers for Charities was founded by K92 and the Women Business Owners Network - www.WBOnetwork.com to give back to the charities in the Roanoke Valley and to help people in the community learn about some amazing nonprofit organizations who are truly making a difference in the Roanoke Valley area and beyond. Once a month an after work social will be held at a local restaurant and will benefit a local nonprofit agency or organization. These events are sponsored in part by City Magazine. https://www.facebook.com/CheersforCharities
- FREE CRAFT BEER TASTING @ Wine Gourmet 5- 8 p.m. http://www.winegourmetva.com/
- MOVIES AT THE TOWER @ Wells Fargo Plaza 7 p.m. http://www.downtownroanoke.org/do/wells-fargo-presents-movies-at-the-tower-zookeeper
Saturday, October 13,
- FREE WINE TASTING FEATURING BARBOURSVILLE WINES @ Mr. Bill’s Wine Cellar noon – 5 p.m.
- VINTON FALL FESTIVAL, 10 a.m. -4 p.m. @Downtown Vinton, Activities include: two entertainment stages; crafts; pancake breakfast; 5K distance run/walk; flowers, fruits, vegetables, sewing, crafts and canned goods ,children’s activities; doggy costume contest, a Civil War encampment and more including the Monster Truck Rides. http://www.vintonchamber.com/index.php/2012-06-01-15-38-00/icalrepeat.detail/2012/10/13/8/-/vinton-fall-festival
- SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY @ The Attic, 7:30 p.m. http://www.roanoke.com/eventcalendar/EventDetails.aspx?eventID=33002&dteId=22469
- 13TH ANNUAL FALL SCARE @ Putt Putt Fun Center, 5-10 p.m. $5 per person http://www.puttputt-roanoke.com/
- BOY SCOUT TROOP 17 PANCAKE BREAKFAST FUNDRAISER @ St. John’s Episcopal Church 8-10 a.m. $5 all-you-can-eat pancakes and sausage.
- MET OPERA LIVE IN HD - DONIZETTI’S L'ELISIR D'AMORE–NEW PRODUCTION @ Virginia Western Community College, 1-4 p.m. $20 adults, $18 senior citizens, students and children FREE. McAlister’s Deli will offer a free reception during intermission.
- 24TH ANNUAL PTA HOLIDAY CRAFT SHOW @ Northside Middle School 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- 30TH ANNUAL CRAIG COUNTY FALL FESTIVAL @ Main Street New Castle, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Vendors, antique car show, horse rides, mechanical bull, blacksmith. Country breakfast starts at 7:30 a.m. Raffle drawings at 4:30. Sponsored by Craig County Historical Society
- B CUP RUGBY AND BRA CRAWL @ Highland Park, 3 p.m. $10 for bra crawl. The Roanoke Rugby Football Club will sponsor the B-Cup Rugby match at Highland Park in Roanoke. Raffle, t-shirt and food sales also! Bra crawl will be held in Downtown Roanoke in the evening. Afterwards, a bra or bar crawls at various restaurants downtown. email@example.com
BLACK DOG WINE & MUSIC FESTIVAL @ Chateau Morrisette 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. $25 per person 11 a.m.-1 p.m. The Catalinas 2-5 p.m. The Embers
- HUGE MULTIFAMILY YARD SALE, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Items include clothes, baby stuff, purses, shoes, toys and more. All proceeds go to my father to help with his ongoing medical bills. He's currently fighting lung cancer. He finished his rounds of chemo and will be starting radiation in a week. Longhorn Road in SW Roanoke County and follow the neon pink signs from 419 near Oak Grove Plaza.
SOUTH CITY KNIGHTS CAR SHOW, Saturday October 27, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. $5 entry fee per car in advance, $10 day of event, if space available. Food, raffle tickets $1 to win free oil change and gift baskets. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to enter your car. Judging is determined by money in a bucket in front of your car at 3 p.m. Trophy for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places! Support the South City Knights Rec Club. Contact Kim Matias at email@example.com to enter your car. http://southcityknights.com/
INTERNATIONAL AUCTION AT THE LAKE hosted by Roanoke Valley Sister Cities, Sunday, October 21 from 2-5 p.m. There will be music, food, wine, original art, and gift certificates. It will be held at the W. E. Skelton 4-H Educational Conference Center, 775 Hermitage Road, Wirtz, VA. For a partial listing of artwork, visit our website at www.rvsci.us/auction
WHO ARE "THEY"? A PRESENTATION ON
BEING SPECIFIC AND PRONOUN-ANTECEDENT AGREEMENT
WHEN: Wednesday, October 17; 1:00 p.m.
WHERE: Webber Hall, 217
FACILITATOR: Ms. Nancy Francisco
This workshop is valuable for anyone who will be writing essays for any class. One of the most common errors in writing is not being specific and not having pronoun-antecedent agreement. Learn how to identify who “they” are.
PLEASE ENCOURAGE YOUR STUDENTS TO ATTEND THESE VERY USEFUL HOT TOPIC SESSIONS. If you would like to offer extra credit to students, they will be given an “extra credit ticket” as verification of their attendance to bring back to class.
Dr. Gloria Lindsay
Chapman Hall, Room 105
The Women's Volleyball team will host Pink Out matches on Saturday, October 20 at 2:30 PM. Please come and wear your pink to support the Blue Stars and breast cancer awareness.