Following our very successful inaugural Mini-Conference last summer 2014, we have confirmed the date for the 2015 Instructional Technology Mini-Conference here at Virginia Western: Friday, July 24. This is a no-cost, one-day conference and professional development opportunity for all Virginia Western faculty and staff.
Based on the overwhelmingly positive responses from last year’s post-conference survey, we decided to invite Dr. Peter Doolittle to be our keynote speaker again this year to share his expertise in higher education pedagogy, instructional design and curriculum development that promote effective teaching and learning. A series of breakout sessions will follow the keynote. Topics will include
- Instructional design for deep learning;
- Open Educational Resources (OERs) (with a focus on adopting existing OER resources/courses; what VCCS is planning; supporting efforts here on our campus);
- Future changes to the Blackboard platform, new upgrades to Blackboard Collaborate;
- Faculty showcases on best practices of online/hybrid course design and development; and
- Effective teaching and learning practices for adult learners.
And YES, a full lunch and snacks will be included. A complete conference agenda and registration instructions will be distributed in the coming weeks.