Virginia Western’s Brown Library has a special collection of books, the Virginia Collection, that are all about Virginia or written by Virginia authors. Many of the books are historical in nature and are rare gems that we are fortunate to have. Others, while they may be historical and informative, certainly pass for interesting as well:
Stop by today to check these and many other interesting titles out!
Larry Jent, of Cherokee and Sac Fox heritage, is a scholar of Native American and Appalachian culture. He is a storyteller known for his insight and humor. He will be discussing telling stories and the intersection of Native American and Appalachian culture on Friday, October 31st from 2-3 p.m. in Whitman Theater. Everyone is invited to attend!
Three skulls and one skeleton have been found at the Circulation Desk on the top floor of Brown Library. This is NOT a Halloween prank. Rumor has it that some Dental Hygiene and Nursing students have been using these bones for individual and group study in the library. If your students are interested in checking out these bones, send them to the Circulation Desk. To check these reserve items out, students must present a current VWCC ID. Students can then take the bones to a second-floor study table or study room for two hours.
So come to the top floor of the library . . . . . . if you dare . . . . . . . “AHHHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!”
What is Workers' Compensation??
In the event that you should have an accident or illness that arises out of and in the course of your employment at VWCC, you should report the accident or illness to your supervisor and the Human Resources Department immediately. The Workers' Compensation Coordinator for our agency is Heidi McClintic.
- For medical attention of a non-emergent nature, an employee must select a physician from the college's Panel of Physicians Form.
- Employees sustaining serious (life threatening) injuries should contact Campus Police (857-7979) and/or 911, and seek medical attention at the closest emergency room. Immediately upon stabilization of the injury, the employee should seek follow-up treatment from a physician on the Panel of Physicians Form.
Workers' Compensation claims are subject to approval by the Commonwealth's Workers' Compensation administrator (currently MC Innovations) and the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission.
Please contact Heidi McClintic (email@example.com or 857-6331) in the Human Resources Department for additional information concerning Workers' Compensation and/or safety in the workplace. Remember….Safety First!
(Shout out to VWCC faculty and students in the Early Childhood Development program!)
The following new library books, selected by faculty members, are now available for checkout by all students, staff, and faculty.
Come to the top floor of the Brown Library Building, and check them out!
The 2014 Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign (CVC) is well under way! Our goal at Virginia Western is to raise $1,500 to help CVC reach their statewide goal of $3,700,000! There are multiple ways you can give and no amount is too small! You may choose to donate by a paycheck deduction; lump sum donation; participation in the Chili Cook-Off/Halloween Costume or Auction for Animals fund raising events; donating a gently used item for auction; or by bringing in much needed non-perishable food items and pet supplies.
There are thousands of CVC Charities to choose from, but which charity speaks to your heart? Click here to view testimonials of three of our employees whose real-life experiences have led them to champion a charitable organization.
Don’t forget, our weekly drawing will be Friday, October 24th for those employees who have submitted a paper pledge card to Marla Whiteside in FAS!
Congratulations to the winner of last week’s drawing: Dorrisa Williams
Library Circulation services are located on the top floor of the Brown Library Building. Services supporting faculty include:
- Course Reserves: Materials that you and the division office staff provide for your students to use in the library or for short checkout periods. Materials may include, but are not limited to, textbooks, fiction and non-fiction books, audio/visual materials, course readings, and physical objects, such as rocks for Geology and skulls for Dental Hygiene. Contact Jim Gettys by phone 857-6941 or by e-mail.
- Assignment Alert!: When you let us know about your assignments in advance of your students coming to the library, we can identify relevant print and electronic resources to support the assignment and provide thoughtful, meaningful assistance to your students. Please see the Faculty Services Infoguide for additional information.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL): Allows you and your students to obtain books, journal articles, and other materials that are not available in Brown Library. Faculty requests are honored for materials used for work-related inquiry or to support the mission of the college. The library website has ILL request forms you can submit online or feel free to contact Faith Janney by phone 857-6332 or e-mail.
- Magazine Route: You can request to have a print magazine or journal regularly sent to your office when it comes off the current periodical racks, then send it back to the library when you finish reading it. Contact Pam Conner by phone 857-7314 or by e-mail.
The Brown Library Circulation staff looks forward to assisting you and your students!
The fifth annual Virginia Blackboard User Group (VaBUG) conference will take place on Friday, October 24, 2014 in Roanoke, VA at the Holiday Inn at Valley View. The VaBUG conference is a great opportunity for Blackboard users to discover, discuss, learn, and share best practices. In addition, representatives from Blackboard will be on hand to answer your questions, demonstrate new and upcoming features, and receive your feedback regarding your experiences with Blackboard.
Based on how many sessions you attended, VWCC faculty will receive one-week or two-weeks of TOTAL workshop credits. To receive the TOTAL Workshop credit hours, please email the completed form to eLIT@virginiawestern.edu or mail it to eLearning and Instructional Technology department by 5:00pm EST no later than Oct. 31, 2014
One-Week TOTAL Workshop Credit: Attend THREE sessions
Two-Week TOTAL Workshop Credits: Attend FIVE sessions
Note: Keynote speech counts as one session.
Free Registration is still open: Register for conference
Here is the conference: Agenda and Session details
Pledge your CVC donation online between now and October 15th and you will be automatically entered to win 4 one-day park hopper park passes to Disney World!
Passes give admission to all of these theme parks for one day: Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom.
Passes are valid until August 1, 2016 and are valued at $496.
A winner will be randomly selected via the online giving donors list after October 15th. CVC will notify the winner directly.
PAPER PLEDGE and Continued Giving DONORS Can Win Too! CVC has three special prizes for you as well (submit your paper pledge by October 15th to be entered into this contest):
A pack of four passes to Massanutten Waterpark (indoor and outdoor features), valued at 152.00, valid until September 2015.
A pack of four packs tickets to the Historic Byrd Theatre, valid until December 2015.
For a directory of CVC charities to pledge your donation online, visit www.cvc.virginia.gov
For questions about enrolling in EmployeeDirect, please see “Getting Started” and “FAQs” on the EmployeeDirect website or contact Denise Schuh at 857-7962 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
VWCC agency number: 286