Admissions :: Dual Enrollment

About Dual Enrollment

Any high school age student who is a junior or senior, resides in the college's service area, and meets the criteria outlined below, is eligible to participate in VWCC's dual enrollment program offered by his/her local high school.

Students must:

  • have their parent's permission
  • have their guidance counselor’s or school administrator's permission to enroll in any dual courses taught at the high school, or on-campus courses for which they would like to receive concurrent high school credit from the school division.
  • complete both PART I and PART II of the online application
  • successfully complete the Virginia Placement Testing (VPT) required for admission to the college
  • successfully satisfy all pre-requisites that may be required for specific courses before they can be accepted into the dual-enrolled class (check the on-line catalog for course information)

Exceptions for admission may be considered for freshman and sophomore level students who are able to demonstrate readiness for college-level coursework. To do this, students and their parent and/or high school administration must complete the Request for Special Circumstance Admission form. Because the enrollment of freshman and sophomore students is considered exceptional, each freshman and sophomore student will be treated on a case-by-case basis and will require formal approval of the college president or his designee. Enrollment of freshman and sophomore level students will also require the approval of the dual enrollment coordinator or appropriate division dean. Other conditions, as deemed appropriate by the president or his designee, dual enrollment coordinator and/or school dean, may apply.

Dual Enrollment students must earn a "C" or better in their class, or they will not be able to progress to sequential courses in that content area. All pre-requisites for a course require a grade of "C" or better. Acceptance of AP, IB, CLEP or Industry Credentialing Examinations for pre-requisite requirements is at the discretion of the VWCC School Dean or Program Head.  Requests for exceptions will be reviewed on an individual basis.  This is to ensure college readiness for the student.  Poor success in dual enrollment classes could result in a loss of future college financial aid, the inability to participate in programs like VWCC's CCAP based on low GPAs, and could limit the student's admission to other colleges and the transferability of the class to other colleges.

Home-Schooled Students

Home-schooled students must provide a copy of a home-school agreement approved by the school district or a letter from the local school board or a copy of the letter filed by the parent/legal guardian declaring home-school for religious exemption. Documentation of parental permission is required for all home schooled dual enrollment students.

Home-schooled students who are under 18 years of age, and who wish to take a college class or classes on the VWCC campus, will need to call the Admissions Office at 540-857-7131 and indicate that they are home schooled and request information concerning admission and registration for classes.

Home-schooled students must successfully complete the Virginia Placement Testing (VPT) required for admission to the college and satisfy all course pre-requisites.

Fees and Refunds

Tuition for dual enrollment classes offered at the high school is negotiated with school districts based on VCCS guidelines and may offer significant savings to the student. Participation in a dual enrollment class is a voluntary option for students. Local school systems might choose to determine if fees are appropriate for instructional materials beyond those used in the non-dual equivalent class. These fees are determined by each local school system and not by Virginia Western. Fees and tuition are paid to the school division and not to VWCC and may vary from one school system to another.

Dual Enrollment Academy and Institute classes taught by VWCC staff are offered at full tuition rates. However, substantial tuition discounts may be offered to school divisions that have contracts with the college in consideration for services they provide.

Tuition paid by students directly to VWCC who choose to drop or withdrawal from a class will follow VWCC policy guidelines.  Refund requests for tuition or fees paid to the school division for dual enrollment classes, are at the discretion of the school division.  Each school system has its own refund policy for students who drop dual enrolled classes. Check with the school's guidance personnel concerning refunds.

Full VWCC tuition will be charged to students who would like to enroll in a VWCC class, taught on our campus (or satellite campus) or on-line by VWCC staff. High school credit for these classes would be at the discretion of the school district.

Financial Aid

Students who are still attending high school are not eligible for any financial aid programs offered through the college.

Some school systems may offer some form of financial assistance to students who wish to take dual enrollment courses.  Check with your high school guidance counselor to determine if financial assistance is available through your school system for dual enrolled classes.

Teacher Credentials

All high school teachers who are dual enrollment instructors have been fully credentialed by Virginia Western Community College in compliance with the regulations and criteria established by the VCCS and meet the recommendations of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

In addition, once a high school teacher is credentialed as a dual enrollment instructor, he or she has met the credentialing requirements to serve as an adjunct faculty member for Virginia Western Community College. This credentialing process insures that all dual enrollment instructors meet the necessary criteria for not only teaching dual enrolled college-level courses at their home school but, also, should the occasion arise, be eligible to teach on-campus classes for the college.

Transferability of Course Credits

Virginia Western Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Our dual enrollment instructors have met the criteria for credentialing as college-level instructors in their particular field of teaching.

Unlike advanced placement and international baccalaureate programs, dual enrollment classes carry college credit and are not dependent on a particular score on a standardized testing instrument before a college will grant credit for the various courses taken in these programs. Students who elect college-level dual enrollment transfer courses should experience little difficulty in transferring these credits to four-year colleges and universities after they graduate from high school.  Verification of transfer credits is the responsibility of the student and should be reviewed with the admission office of the college to which they choose to attend.  Articulation agreements between VWCC and four year colleges are for degree programs, not specific individual classes.

An Approved List of VWCC Transfer Courses can be found here, and in the Virginia Western Community College catalog.

Information about articulation agreements and transfer policies between VWCC and Virginia colleges can be found here. (PDF)

Taking Classes on Campus

Students who are still attending a local high school and who wish to take a college class on the VWCC campus need to have permission from their parents and their school principal or counselor. The principal or school counselor needs to complete the Virginia Western Community College High School/Home-School Enrollment Procedures Form. The form will need to be presented to the VWCC Admissions Office personnel before they will be allowed to register for on-campus classes. Registration for classes must be completed in the Admissions Office.

Classes taken on campus will carry the full cost of the class at the current rate of tuition. Students are responsible for the cost of the class(es) and not the local school system. Local school divisions will determine if classes taken on the VWCC campus can be transferred back to the high school in order to complete certain graduation requirements.

Student Testimonial Banner

VWCC Alerts

We use VW Alert to immediately contact you during a major crisis or emergency.

Get more info and register