Apply to the Academy
The Regional Academy offers area high school juniors and seniors the ability to gain college credit and experience on a college campus while finishing their high school careers. There currently are four programs available to students: Engineering, Mechatronics (Engineering Technology), Pre-Health, and Nurse Aide. Students can earn up to 38 college credit hours (9 credits per semester) at a small fraction of the total tuition per credit.
- Students must be at sophomore status or higher
- The application packet must be complete with all signatures and returned to the Regional Academy Coordinator
- Proof of Virginia Placement Testing scores or proof that they have taken the SAT and received a score of 500 or above on critical reading and writing and/or 520 or above on math. Students also have the option of providing proof that they have taken the ACT and received a combined score of 21 or higher in the English and writing and/or a score of 22 or higher in math.
- Students must receive a recommendation from their current math or science teacher
- All new students must attend a New Student Orientation
- Please see program eligibility information for specific requirements of the Virginia Placement Test.
- Complete all sections of the Academy application (please print neatly).
- Obtain signatures on both the Parent/Guardian and Student Commitment pages.
- Include any assessment scores that can be used for placement into classes.
- Attach an up-to-date high school transcript.
- Attach a completed and signed Teacher Recommendation with signature.
- Notify your high school counselor prior to completing and submitting the application.
- Sign and attach the Information Release Form.
Application Forms/Documentation Checklist
- Dual Enrollment Application Form
- Regional Academy Application (PDF)
- Parent Nomination Form (see Academy Application)
- Student Nomination Form (see Academy Application)
- Teacher Recommendation Form (see Academy Application)
- High School Transcripts
- Student Information Release Form (PDF)
Your application must have all components before it is considered complete. Contact the Regional Academy Coordinator at or 540-857-6366 if you need additional information or have questions regarding the application process.
Acceptance and New Student Orientation
A letter of acceptance will be sent by mail two weeks after the deadline date. Students accepted into the Regional Academy will be required to participate in an orientation prior to the start of the semester. Details of the orientation will be provided in the letter of acceptance.
Terry Drumheller, Program Coordinator
Brenda Morrison, Program Administration
Carole Graham, Dean of Health Professions
Richard Clark, Professor and Program Head of Engineering
Daniel C. Horine, Program Head of Advanced Technology in Mechatronics