School of Health Professions :: Programs of Study
Practical Nursing (LPN) - Certificate
The Certificate program in Practical Nursing is designed to prepare students for a career as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). The program will provide instruction leading to licensure as a practical nurse, preparing qualified students to meet the health care needs of the community within the scope of practice of practical nursing, as defined by the Virginia Board of Nursing. Graduates of this program earn a Certificate in Practical Nursing and will be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN examination.
About Licensed Practical Nurses (Occupational Outlook Handbook)
If you are interested in applying to the VWCC Practical Nursing program, we encourage you to explore the information linked in the left menu to learn more about the process. Once your application and transcripts have been reviewed, our office can provide academic guidance to help prepare students for possible entry into this program. If you need further assistance, you may contact our office.
The Virginia Western Community College Practical Nursing Program’s mission is to prepare students to provide competency based, empathetic, safe, and effective health care in a culturally diverse society and in a wide variety of health care settings.
To effectively implement the program mission, the college and program faculty have made a commitment to:
- Utilize the Nursing Process to meet clients' needs and promote collaborative care.
- Perform nursing interventions (client assessment, skills performance, dosage calculation, medication administration, and client teaching) based on assessed need.
- Explain factors that impact client care (environment, culture, family, and biopsychosocial) across the lifespan.
- Incorporate professional communication skills (verbal, nonverbal, written, and electronic) to promote optimum outcomes.
- Attain eligibility to sit for NCLEX-PN.
5 Year NCLEX-PN Pass Rates
- 2011 - 80%
- 2012 - 93.75%
- 2013 - 92.86%
- 2014 - 86.36%
- 2015 - 93.75%
This program is approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing. Virginia Board of Nursing, Perimeter Center, 9960 Maryland Drive, Suite 300, Henrico, VA, 23233-1463.
Location: Fralin Center HP339
3091 Colonial Ave., SW
Roanoke, VA 24015
Melaine Moore, PhD/MSN/RN
Assistant Dean, Nursing
A.S.N. - Bluefield State College, 1987
B.A. - Bluefield State College, 1992
M.S.N. - Bellarmine University, 2003
Ph.D./Nursing - West Haven University, 2007
School of Health Professions
Carole S. Graham, Dean
Administration & business contacts
Location: Fralin Center HP214C