VWCC Nursing Club
The Virginia Western Community College Nursing Club provides opportunities for continuing personal and professional growth through community service, mentoring, and collegiality among students.
Nursing Club Bylaws
Article I: Organization Name
The name of this organization shall be the Virginia Western Community College Nursing Club.
Article II: Purpose
The purpose of the VWCC Nursing Club shall be to:
- promote professional development and unification of all nursing students.
- provide opportunities for the members of the club to be involved in health care activities that unite students with the community.
- encourage and expect the highest standards of honor and integrity in conduct of professional life and academic matters.
- produce a support system to assist with student needs.
Article III: Membership, Dues, Rights and Obligation
Section One: School Constituent for Nursing Club
- VWCC Nursing Club will be composed of all members enrolled in the VWCC Nursing Program.
- VWCC Nursing Club is a separate entity and apart from Virginia Student Nurses Association (VSNA) and the National Student Nurses Association (NSNA).
Section Two: Dues
- There are no dues for membership in VWCC Nursing Club.
Section Three: Membership Rights
- A member of the VWCC Nursing Club shall have the right to:
- participate in election of VWCC Nursing Club Executive Board.
- participate in scheduled VWCC Nursing Club activities.
- have full voting rights, including participation in discussions in all matters presented to general membership.
Section Four: Membership Obligations
Members of VWCC Nursing Club shall have the obligation to:
- uphold the bylaws of VWCC Nursing Club and the Nurse Code of Ethics of the American Nurses Association (ANA).
- fulfill the requirements of an elected or appointed position.
- as a class, leave a minimum of $500 for the upcoming class.
Article IV: Executive Board Members and Qualifications
Section One: Members of the Executive Board shall be elected by general membership.
- The executive board positions include eight (8) members at large from the first and second year classes who will work together in areas of community service, and personal and professional growth.
Section Two: The recommended qualifications for board members are as follows:
- maintain a GPA of 2.5.
- have good verbal and nonverbal communication skills.
- have leadership ability.
- must be interested and desire to serve.
Article V: Duties of the Executive Board
Section One: General
- The Executive Board shall help coordinate and plan activities for the year.
- Board members shall attend meetings as scheduled.
Article VI: Faculty Advisor
Section One: There shall be at least one faculty member of the Nursing Department of VWCC to serve as the advisor.
Section Two: The advisor(s) shall:
- serve as resource person(s) consulting with executive board, members, and nursing faculty.
- attend meetings of the VWCC Nursing Club. In the event that no faculty member advisor is able to attend, an alternate faculty member may be present at the meeting as an advisor.
- counsel VWCC Nursing Club board members who are having difficulty in carrying out their duties and/or responsibilities.
- assist, encourage, and support VWCC Nursing Club executive board and members.
- encourage setting of goals for VWCC Nursing Club by executive board and members.
Article VII: Elections
Section One: Eligibility (See Article IV also)
- The student seeking a VWCC Nursing Club position shall have a willingness and desire to serve and be a positive role model for others.
- Passing average at the time of the election.
Section Two: Procedure
- Nominations and elections for the second year class will be held during the first week of the fall semester. Nominations and elections for the first year class will be held early in the fall semester.
- All nominations shall be made from the floor in writing.
- All elections will be held as soon as possible after the nominations.
- All elections must be a secret ballot and tabulated by the advisor.
- In the event of a tie, re-vote shall be held.
- Executive board elected will be announced as soon as possible.
- New executive board will attend meetings and assist in their positions for remainder of the term.
Article VIII: Amemdments
These bylaws may be amended upon acceptance of two-thirds of the members present providing proposed amendments have been submitted to voting members at least two weeks prior to presentation of the amendments for vote.