About Virginia Western :: College Policies
- About VWCC
- Administrative Offices
- Maps & Directions
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Leadership & Governance
- Legal & Policies
- Emergency Preparedness
- Strategic Plan - Success 2021
- Event Facilities
- Off-Campus Facilities
- Educational Foundation
- Institutional Effectiveness
- Marketing & Communications
- Workforce Solutions
- Employment Opportunities
- Mission & Vision
II-4: Candidate Interview Expenses
Policy Number: II-4
Effective Date: January 2, 2013
Last Reviewed: March 16, 2015
Responsible Dept.: Financial Services
Policy Document (PDF)
Virginia Western Community College shall provide reimbursement to job candidates for travel expenses incurred when the position recruitment has been determined by college officials to be eligible for reimbursement. Eligibility will be determined on a case by case basis taking into consideration the specific position, the scope of the college's recruitment efforts, and the likelihood that candidates will be traveling greater distances. All reimbursement is subject to availability of funds.
2. Eligible Positions
President, Vice President, and Executive Staff Members
All usual and customary travel expenses may be reimbursed. These include common carrier fares, personal vehicle mileage, lodging and meals. Expenses are expected to be reasonable.
Administrative and Professional Faculty, Instructional Faculty, Classified Staff Pay Band 4 and above
All usual and customary travel expenses may be reimbursed, not to exceed a limit of $500 per candidate.
All other positions
Reimbursement is not authorized.
The below listed expenses shall generally be reimbursable up to the limits prescribed by Commonwealth of Virginia policy.
Each candidate shall be required to submit receipts and to provide their social security number so that payment can be made through the Commonwealth of Virglnla system. All expenses must be reported on the Travel Expense Reimbursement Form and must be signed by the candidate.
- The cost of an airline ticket from the candidate's home location to Roanoke, Virginia and return trip. Generally, airline and rail travel cannot exceed the rates charged for tourist/coach fare. Reimbursement for first class air is not allowable.
- The cost of the candidate's hotel to include the dates of travel and including the date(s) of the interview(s). The maximum allowable reimbursement for lodging is $102.00 per day, excluding taxes and surcharges.
- The cost of a rental car from and to the airport, the hotel and the college. Car rentals may be made through commercial rental agencies. The Commonwealth of Virginia uses Enterprise Rental for all of its rental needs.
- Mileage for the use of a personal vehicle for travel to and from the interview is reimbursable at the personal mileage rate of .575 per mile. The college does not reimburse requests for local candidates who live within a 100 mile radius of the college.
- Meal and Incidental expenses for each day of travel in accordance with state policy. Please note that meals incurred that do not involve an overnight stay are not reimbursable. The Meal and Incidental expense rate for the Roanoke City area is $51.00 per day. Generally, meals and incidental expenses may be reimbursed up to $51.00 per day with receipts, but may not exceed the following limits:
Breakfast - $8.00
Lunch - $12.00
Dinner - $26.00
Incidentals - $5.00