About Virginia Western :: College Policies
- About VWCC
- Administrative Offices
- Maps & Directions
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Leadership & Governance
- Legal & Policies
- Emergency Preparedness
- Strategic Plan - Success 2021
- Event Facilities
- Off-Campus Facilities
- Educational Foundation
- Institutional Effectiveness
- Marketing & Communications
- Workforce Solutions
- Employment Opportunities
- Mission & Vision
- Community/Met Opera
I-32: Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974
Policy Number: I-32
Last Reviewed: August 31, 2015
Responsible Dept.: Dean of Student Services
Policy Document (PDF)
Senior citizens are eligible to take advantage of free tuition as outlined in the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974. "Senior Citizen" shall mean any person, who before the beginning of any semester in which such person claims entitlement to senior citizen benefits, (1) has reached sixty years of age, and (2) has had his legal domicile in Virginia for one year.
A senior citizen shall be entitled:
- To register for and enroll in courses as a full-time or part-time student for academic credit if such senior citizen had a taxable individual income not exceeding $23,850 for Virginia income tax purposes for the year preceding the year in which enrollment is sought;
- To register for and audit courses offered for academic credit regardless of income level; and
- To register for and enroll in courses not offered for academic credit regardless of income level.
Such senior citizen shall pay no tuition or fees for courses offered for academic credit or for courses not offered for academic credit, except fees established for the purpose of paying for course materials, such as laboratory fees, subject to a determination by the institutions of its ability to offer the course or courses for which the senior citizen registers.
Senior citizens registering for courses under the provisions of the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act must complete a Senior Citizen Tuition Assistance Agreement Form prior to the class starting date. In addition, senior citizens registering under the provisions of this Act may register only after tuition-paying students are accommodated, unless the senior citizen has completed 75% of their degree requirements at Virginia Western.
Senior citizens who wish to confirm space in a class can also register and pay as students enrolling outside of the provisions of this Act. However, no refunds will be issued.