I-17: Policy on Tuition Refunds
Policy Number: I-17
Last Reviewed: March 18, 2014
Responsible Dept.: Dean of Student Services/Admissions Office Manager
Students qualify for a tuition refund for those credit hours officially dropped during the drop period.
This refund will be at the full credit rate. After the drop period has passed, no tuition refund will be
issued. Exceptions to this policy may be made in extreme, mitigating circumstances which are appropriately
documented in accordance with Virginia Community College System (VCCS) Policy 4.3.2.
Qualifying tuition refund exceptions may include:
- Major medical emergency
- Extreme financial hardship involving the sudden, unforeseen loss
- Death of an immediate family member; immediate family is defined as a father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, spouse, sibling, step-sibling, child, or stepchild
- Errors by Virginia Western personnel; documentation for these errors must be submitted by the department in which the error occurred
- National emergency or mobilization declared by the President of the United States in accordance with Section 23-9.6:2 of the Code of Virginia
- Military service as defined in VCCS Policy 126.96.36.199, pursuant to 23-9.6:2 of the Code of Virginia, and in conjunction with the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia (SCHEV) Guidelines.
- For certain federal financial aid recipients as defined in VCCS Policy 188.8.131.52
Qualifying tuition refund exceptions do not include:
- Misunderstanding of college policies and accompanying procedures as published in the College Catalog, the Student Handbook, or the college website
- Misunderstanding of course requirements or prerequisites
- Dissatisfaction with course content, instruction, or academic progress
- Conflicts with child care, work, or vacation schedules
- Changes in eligibility for financial aid or scholarships
- Personal errors in judgment
- Lack of transportation
Students requesting a tuition refund policy exception must submit a Tuition Refund Request Form to
the Admissions Office. This form must be accompanied by appropriate supporting documentation of the
extreme, mitigating circumstance that qualifies for an exception to the refund policy.